ADVERTISEMENT

Alissa Dalton article in the Oklahoman

That's great for her. I'm glad she found her fit. The personality and style of the coach can make or break athletes. Gasso isn't the easiest coach to play for.

I found that true for my daughter in gymnastics. Her previous coach was a great coach, but his main motivator was the girls not making him look bad. We switched gyms to try another coach and my daughter made an instant connection. Her coach since her switch focuses on her goals and priorities. And what's strange is that he is relentless in pushing her physically and mentally to her limits. That is completely opposite of her previous coach, but she's excelled in that environment because she's being successful for herself and her team instead of for her coach. I won't brag about her state and national championship finishes, but that girl in my avatar finished as one of the top gymnasts in the nation at her level. :D

That's great for her. I'm glad she found her fit. The personality and style of the coach can make or break athletes. Gasso isn't the easiest coach to play for.

Absolutely. Allen Iverson is potentially the most famous example of this dichotomy. Some need instruction and authoritarian rule, others need a hands-off, just have fun methodology.

"come back" is a vestige of the ubiquitous "CB" lingo. Back in the day, when CB was hot and had expanded from mostly long haul trucker and commercial use to a must have for every body that was anybody, the lingo of the road became the lingo of even soccer mom's. Everyone had a "handle." At the 3nd of a transmission, when u wanted to continue a conversation, at the end of your transmission you would say, "come back."

"come back" is a vestige of the ubiquitous "CB" lingo. Back in the day, when CB was hot and had expanded from mostly long haul trucker and commercial use to a must have for every body that was anybody, the lingo of the road became the lingo of even soccer mom's. Everyone had a "handle." At the 3nd of a transmission, when u wanted to continue a conversation, at the end of your transmission you would say, "come back."

Thanks, owenfield. It sounded like a radio terminology. Just cracks me up that it's at the end of every sentence rather than the end of a response.

I gotta admit... I have no idea what the "come back" at the end of every sentence means or insinuates, but it does give me a pretty good chuckle every time I read it.

Really...LOL. I'm not laughing at you, JCon, but rather at how an age difference affects the generations. Back when I was a young roadrunner for Ford serving auto dealers in parts for four states, a CB radio was pretty much standard option for anyone that spent a lot of time in a car. There were some real benefits, but most folks just like the company that could be had. Firecracker can tell you more about it, but the phrase "Come Back" is like the term "Over" meaning "I'm done talking and waiting for you to respond".

Edit....shoot....didn't see owenfielddreams' post.

Last edited:
I gotta admit... I have no idea what the "come back" at the end of every sentence means or insinuates, but it does give me a pretty good chuckle every time I read it.
JCon...Hard to believe that you never had the pleasure of being someone's 'Front Door', and watching out for 'Smokies Giving Green Stamps'! One of the most FUN Ways to brighten up long Road Trips, especially when the kids were along!:D

Last edited:

I found that true for my daughter in gymnastics. Her previous coach was a great coach, but his main motivator was the girls not making him look bad. We switched gyms to try another coach and my daughter made an instant connection. Her coach since her switch focuses on her goals and priorities. And what's strange is that he is relentless in pushing her physically and mentally to her limits. That is completely opposite of her previous coach, but she's excelled in that environment because she's being successful for herself and her team instead of for her coach. I won't brag about her state and national championship finishes, but that girl in my avatar finished as one of the top gymnasts in the nation at her level. :D

Wonderful story, Medic. I liked it a lot, and am happy for your daughter, you and the whole family.

Ahh the memories of the old days when my dad put a CB in every truck he ever owned up till I guess the late 80s or early 90s. Guess that's about when they started to die off. You could sometimes hear some epic conversations going on having a CB. It was the truckers version of "reality show" while driving down the road. Lol

JCon...Hard to believe that you never had the pleasure of being someone's 'Front Door', and watching out for 'Smokies Giving Green Stamps'! One of the most FUN Ways to brighten up a long Road Trips, especially when the kids were along!:D

Ha!
My favorite line from Smokey and the Bandit -
Jackie Gleason - "Junior! When we get home, remind me to SLAP YO MAMA!!! Cause there is NO WAY you came from MY LOINS!"

I started driving in the early 90s, so CBs were fading out quickly. My friends and I played around with them and put them in our vehicles, but it was never for anything important like spotting Smokey. It was usually just acting like snot nosed kids trying to aggravate rig drivers like Firecrackerfarts... then we'd giggle while sipping on sodas and retelling our glorious tales of mischief.

We were really hard back then and had the world figured out.

Wonderful story, Medic. I liked it a lot, and am happy for your daughter, you and the whole family.
Thank you sir. I'm a very proud dad, not of the awards, but of her work ethic and self discipline that the awards are reflective of. I'd only do what she does during practice if I was making $5 million plus per year to do it.

10-10....on the side or away from your radio. Everyone had a handle. Mine was the Double LL...LL stood for Lack Luster cause my wife said I'd given several such performances in my life. The most fun with it was during high school football season in Texas. You'd caravan to away games and it was constant chatter

Thank you sir. I'm a very proud dad, not of the awards, but of her work ethic and self discipline that the awards are reflective of. I'd only do what she does during practice if I was making $5 million plus per year to do it.

It's obvious that you are a great dad. Speaks volumes. My wish is that she becomes a Sooner gymnast one day IF that is her wish also. If not, my best wishes for her always.

Oklabama do you have an email? I would like to ask you something privately that was discussed here on the board a few weeks ago. Thanks

That's pretty awesome medic. I spent many years driving all over the state watching my kids play ball. Enjoy it because it goes by fast. Reading your comments and pride you have in your daughter, I guess that's another reason it blows my mind when parents don't get involved with their children.
Hell your kids grew up in what seemed like 3 months.
I will ignore the :eek: because I know you would piss your pants if her dream comes true. Have love it. Keeping my fingers crossed.
The :eek: is for the distances I would have to travel for her meets if she went to Cal. I've already done some research and :eek:!

If you mean Gasso is hard to play for because she expects discipline then you are probably right Dalton sounded like she wanted to do whatever and didnt want to be told not to.

If you mean Gasso is hard to play for because she expects discipline then you are probably right Dalton sounded like she wanted to do whatever and didnt want to be told not to.
Isn't the easiest coach to play for is exactly what it sounds like. I didn't post that Gasso is hard to play for.

The article quotes Dalton as saying "“I was just looking for somewhere you can go out and just be a free spirit and have fun and play the way you play." That description doesn't fit Patty Gasso at all. If frolicking in the outfield, chasing butterflies, grazing on turf grass, and flapping her arms like the free soaring birds is what Dalton wanted to do, she should have never wasted everyone's time joining a national championship team.

I'm sure she's a good kid but she probably got caught up in the glamour of playing for OU and didn't think about the reasons Gasso is a national championship coach. Players that want to compete at the highest level love playing for Gasso.

10-10....on the side or away from your radio. Everyone had a handle. Mine was the Double LL...LL stood for Lack Luster cause my wife said I'd given several such performances in my life. The most fun with it was during high school football season in Texas. You'd caravan to away games and it was constant chatter
My handle is the same as on here. I have a CB in every vehicle. I don't run any barefoot gear, I like modifying them and running power amps, come back.

Reactions: veritas59
Back in the early '70's my territory included all the Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealers within the Ford Credit branch offices of Little Rock, AR, and Shreveport, Monroe, Alexandria, Louisiana, and the Memphis, TN and Greenville, MS branch offices. I was keypointed in Little Rock, which meant I travelled from Monday til Friday five out of six weeks. The CB was a great traveling friend since I drove to each district except for Alexandria. My handle was Al Capone. I don't know why, except I thought it was cool. Hey, I was 25. Here's my favorite story during my CB days. Me and the new Ford Credit branch manager were driving back from an all day meeting with a group of Louisiana dealers late one night on a two lane road somewhere between Shreveport and Monroe. Suddenly a damn alligator ran in front of us. It was like running over a set of rail road ties. It knocked all four wheel covers off my new 1976 Ford LTD company car and somehow jarred my CB from under the dash breaking it. We ended up sideways in the road. The Ford Credit guy was the quintessential Louisiana coon ass named Fuqua. He immediately said "Damn, I think we got him" and jumped out of the car to look for him. Now, I thinking at best the gator is pissed off and he isn't on the road, so I'm not going to search for him in all the tall grass alongside a two lane road in Louisiana at 10 pm. The car won't start and I am frantically calling out on the CB for any trucker that I can get to help. I finally convinced my new coon ass friend to forget capturing the gator and within 5 minutes I had a friendly CB buddy that got got us a wrecker. Back in those days anyone with a CB was a friend. BTW, when I turned in my loss report on the company car, Dearborn thought I was lying about the gator. Good thing I had a Ford Credit branch manager with me. LOL

Back in the early '70's my territory included all the Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealers within the Ford Credit branch offices of Little Rock, AR, and Shreveport, Monroe, Alexandria, Louisiana, and the Memphis, TN and Greenville, MS branch offices. I was keypointed in Little Rock, which meant I travelled from Monday til Friday five out of six weeks. The CB was a great traveling friend since I drove to each district except for Alexandria. My handle was Al Capone. I don't know why, except I thought it was cool. Hey, I was 25. Here's my favorite story during my CB days. Me and the new Ford Credit branch manager were driving back from an all day meeting with a group of Louisiana dealers late one night on a two lane road somewhere between Shreveport and Monroe. Suddenly a damn alligator ran in front of us. It was like running over a set of rail road ties. It knocked all four wheel covers off my new 1976 Ford LTD company car and somehow jarred my CB from under the dash breaking it. We ended up sideways in the road. The Ford Credit guy was the quintessential Louisiana coon ass named Fuqua. He immediately said "Damn, I think we got him" and jumped out of the car to look for him. Now, I thinking at best the gator is pissed off and he isn't on the road, so I'm not going to search for him in all the tall grass alongside a two lane road in Louisiana at 10 pm. The car won't start and I am frantically calling out on the CB for any trucker that I can get to help. I finally convinced my new coon ass friend to forget capturing the gator and within 5 minutes I had a friendly CB buddy that got got us a wrecker. Back in those days anyone with a CB was a friend. BTW, when I turned in my loss report on the company car, Dearborn thought I was lying about the gator. Good thing I had a Ford Credit branch manager with me. LOL
Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Isn't the easiest coach to play for is exactly what it sounds like. I didn't post that Gasso is hard to play for.

The article quotes Dalton as saying "“I was just looking for somewhere you can go out and just be a free spirit and have fun and play the way you play." That description doesn't fit Patty Gasso at all. If frolicking in the outfield, chasing butterflies, grazing on turf grass, and flapping her arms like the free soaring birds is what Dalton wanted to do, she should have never wasted everyone's time joining a national championship team.

I'm sure she's a good kid but she probably got caught up in the glamour of playing for OU and didn't think about the reasons Gasso is a national championship coach. Players that want to compete at the highest level love playing for Gasso.
I agree but why dont we have articles about our current players . Not a player that quit or was removed

I just spit coffee allover the place. I keep it on 19, of course. When my nephews ride with me on hunting tripsI have to turn it when these new school turkeys start talking about drugs and drop eff bombs. Shameful, if you ask me.

ADVERTISEMENT