ADVERTISEMENT

About my avatair............................

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
maybe 22 can do it, but it's worth reading....

When did I become the loud-mouthed, arrogant, over-weight IT guy? ;) OK. here is the cut-and-paste of your article.

According to police, 32-year-old Texas fan Brian Dhumas walked into Henry Hudson's Pub on June 17 wearing a Longhorns T-shirt and quickly became the focus of football "trash talk" from another regular, 99-year-old Oklahoma fan Cecil Samara.

Dhumas told police that when he decided to leave and went to the bar to pay his tab, Samara yelled "BOOMER SOONER" with his famous megaphone to his mouth. Then he repeatedly yelled, "TEXAS SUCKS". The crowd joined in to the chant. Dhumas, realizing that Texas really does suck, grabbed himself in the crotch, pulled himself to the ground and wouldn't let go, even as bar patrons tried to make him stop. When Dhumas stopped, he looked down and realized the extent of his self-inflicted injuries.

"He could see both of his testicles hanging on the outside of his body," said attorney, Carl "Jr" Berger "He was wearing a pair of white shorts and pink Tony Lamas with those incredibly long pointed toes, which made it that much worse."

OK. Here's your article on the late Cecil Samara.

OU Fan Cecil Samara Sooner Born, Sooner Bred and When He Dies . . .
Randy Ellis • Published in The Oklahoman: November 7, 1982

From the pointed tips of his red and white cowboy boots to the OU monogram on his special-made glasses, Cecil Samara of Oklahoma City has left nothing to chance in attaining the title of OU's No. 1 football fanatic.

It takes all the grit a Sooner fan can muster to keep from standing at attention and putting a hand over his heart when Samara drives by in his red and white Model T Ford, blaring out "Boomer Sooner" over his loud speaker.

"I live, breathe, eat and sleep this state," Samara said. "I haven't missed an OU football game anywhere for over 30 years."

Samara's OU memorabilia collection is second to none, despite a 1979 fire that destroyed his old OU room. Lost were such irreplaceable items as a complete 30-year collection of football programs and an autographed football All American Tommy McDonald presented to him after the star of mid-1950s Sooner teams crossed the goal line with it against Oklahoma State University.

Starting virtually from scratch, Samara has rebuilt his red and white memorabilia empire. His bedspread, toilet seat and even the counter top in his bathroom are OU red.

Beneath that loud red and white exterior, however, lives a deeper man a man who worked his way up from the slums of Oklahoma City and for several years has quietly donated furniture, magazine subscriptions, fans and other items to Oklahoma Children's Memorial Hospital.

"I've got five children and I thank God they are all healthy," Samara said. "I think we're real fortunate that God's been good to us.

I feel like I should do what I can for the people who aren't so lucky."

This year, Samara has found a way to combine his love for OU football with his desire to help the children's hospital.

Samara's red and white Model T and his memorabilia collection are so unique that several commercial establishments have offered him sizeable sums to appear at promotional activities at their stores.

Samara said he is willing to make such appearances, but only if the companies make the checks out to the Children's Hospital instead of to him.

At the request of Sanger Harris, Samara agreed to appear at a pre-party bash in Dallas before the OU-Texas game. Children's Hospital received a check for $300.

Drapery Manufacturing Inc. of Oklahoma City wanted a picture of Samara and his car taken in front of its building. Children's Hospital is being sent a check for $100.

And Skaggs Alpha Beta wanted Samara and his car present on the five Thursdays before home games to help promote drawings at which two pairs of OU tickets are given away for each game. Children's Hospital will benefit by receiving five $100 checks.

Samara is pleased that his passion for OU can benefit the community.

There was a time in Samara's life when it was all he could do to care for himself.

"I was born in 1916," Samara said. "My father died in the flu epidemic of 1918. I was raised in the slums of Oklahoma City. My mother couldn't speak or write English, but went to work plucking chickens for Wilson Company."

At the age of six, Samara went to work selling newspapers on an Oklahoma City street corner.

A year or two later, he began his lifelong love affair with OU football by hitching rides to games.

"My newspaper customers would pick me up in their limousines and take me to the games," he said. "I don't know why they did it. I had holes in my overalls."

Samara said he never got past a third-grade education, but would hitch rides to the OU library as a teen-ager to continue learning on his own.

"I also sat in on several classes, although I never enrolled," he said. "Some of the professors would give me pencils and paper, just like the students."

Samara went to work for the Army engineers in World War II, got married, and later started his own business. He now operates a business at 2805 NW 26, selling flags of every nation, state and organization imaginable.

"If we ain't got it, we'll get it. If we can't get it, we'll make it," his wife said.

Samara said he has been attending football games and collecting OU memorabilia ever since he can remember. He bought the Model T in 1948 and spent two years fixing it up before driving it to its first game in 1950. Two years later he got the courage to take the car on the road and drove it all the way to Texas for the OU-Texas clash.

"I've been driving it to home and away games ever since, but I've run into a problem," he said. "I'm almost out of demountable split rims. If anybody has any of the demountable Model T rims, tires or wheels, I could sure use the help. The rims are hard to find."

It would be hard to find a more dedicated football fan anywhere.

"Every piece of clothing that I own is either red or white, except for one black suit that I wear to funerals," Samara said, opening his closet door to prove his point.

Samara won't wear that black suit to his own funeral, though. No sir.

"I've got all my funeral arrangements already made with Smith and Kernke," he said proudly. "My casket is going to be red and white and I'm going to have three flags on it Old Glory, the Oklahoma flag and the OU flag.

"I'll be dressed in red and white and my right finger will be pointing up in the air. There will be three songs played at my funeral.

They're going to play Boomer Sooner and everybody has orders to stand up and clap, just like at the games. They'll also play the National Anthem and When The Roll's Called Up Yonger, I'm Going to be There."

Just in case he dies on an OU football weekend, he has left orders for his family and friends to attend the game and leave the burying for later.

"I'll be upstairs on the 50-yard line watching OU play," he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT