ADVERTISEMENT

A Thought

Learned Fan

Gold Member
May 5, 2023
A short comment. Anyone who decides to leave this site, or not renew a subscription, because of the performance of the Sooners on the field is, to me, being foolishly emotional. Brandon, Parker, and Jesse are absolutely the hardest working and, most importantly, the three best writers on any site today. They tell the truth as best they see it, and I doubt any site has anyone who's better. Things haven't worked out the way anyone envisioned, although a number of us had great doubts about how the team would perform in its first year in the SEC. Alarmingly, in his weekly question and answer section, Parker (if you want to get a good idea of what an intelligent, honest young man and excellent writer he is, read his answers) says OU's NIL money next year needs to be double what it currently is. My first (or second) question about Venables came from his statement when he was chosen as our next coach that we wouldn't play the NIL game but would instead rely on the SOUL mission and our reputation. For a 16 or 17 year old kid, reputation vs $ isn't really a contest, so I found Brent's vision naive, at best. No one should think coaching alone will be enough when we're playing in a League filled with what amounts to NFL farm teams. And when this season ends and the transfers begin, I'm afraid we're all going to see how loyalty vs $ plays out for young men, many of whom come from impoverished conditions and almost all of whom came from winning high school programs. So please don't blame Brandon, Parker, or Jesse from the short-sightedness of our administration or the pollyannish vision of a coach (who I think is one of the finest men around). The messenger isn't the message.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.