ADVERTISEMENT

A little history about NG Granville Liggins

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
Watched this game on YouTube this morning:
In the 1966 game in Norman vs Notre Dame, the eventual national champion that year, OU was outweighed an average of 38 lbs per man. It was one of Notre Dame's best teams ever.
After a scoreless first quarter, ND was being fairly contained with Liggins clogging up the middle and pressuring QB Terry Hanratty well.
Midway through the second quarter, one ND lineman met him head on and stood him up while another lineman came in on Liggins' right side and speared his right knee, knocking Liggins out of the game.
I don't believe OU would have won the game, but I do believe the score would have been closer...much closer...than 38-0 had Liggins placed the entire game.
For me, it's just another one of 9 reasons why I can't stand ND, with apologies to Rudy and Jesus.

Unfortunately, the chop block was legal in college football 20 years later. Most coaches understood the dirty nature of the block, and didn't teach it. But more than occasionally, players took it upon themselves to take somebody out, that they were having trouble getting blocked. It's been illegal for a while, but not long enough.

ADVERTISEMENT