ADVERTISEMENT

A legend has passed -- Arnold Palmer

As I watched a tribute to his life last night, I was touched by his decency, and contrast to too many of today's athletes, whose role model told them that it's okay to insult and denigrate your opponent, so long as you back it up , by beating the hell out of him.

Palmer had plenty of early success before he was well known. His father told him, "don't tell anyone how good you are. Show them how good you are."

I miss the days before trash talk, when an athletic contest was about besting someone in a worthy way, rather than trying to humiliate him.

As I watched a tribute to his life last night, I was touched by his decency, and contrast to too many of today's athletes, whose role model told them that it's okay to insult and denigrate your opponent, so long as you back it up , by beating the hell out of him.

Palmer had plenty of early success before he was well known. His father told him, "don't tell anyone how good you are. Show them how good you are."

I miss the days before trash talk, when an athletic contest was about besting someone in a worthy way, rather than trying to humiliate him.
Some may call Palmer and those of us who admire him as both a man and an athlete as being "old school".
I refer to it as having a sense of decency and good sportsmanship.
Nowadays, it's the trend to taunt and trash opponents and to bring as much attention as possible with on-field celebrations.

Reactions: hOUston...
I read where Arnold was the highest paid sports figure on endorsements. For the life of me, I can't remember any of them....Help.

STP, maybe?

I refer to it as having a sense of decency and good sportsmanship.
Nowadays, it's the trend to taunt and trash opponents and to bring as much attention as possible with on-field celebrations.

Good sports still exist in spades. You're just witnessing 100x more sporting than you could decades ago, so the bad apples are amplified 100x.

I read where Arnold was the highest paid sports figure on endorsements. For the life of me, I can't remember any of them....Help.

STP, maybe?

You've never read golf magazines. But I remember many Palmer endorsements back in the day. But he's responsible in essense for the legends tour. For the players having control of their game, by electing their own PGA leadership, and for the beginning and sustenance of The Golf Channel.

The players speak of him reverently, and there were so many old school things that he insisted upon. Watching the old black and white videos of they young man, and a couple of amazing stories I'd never heard before about his incredible strength. I had no idea.

You've never read golf magazines. But I remember many Palmer endorsements back in the day. But he's responsible in essense for the legends tour. For the players having control of their game, by electing their own PGA leadership, and for the beginning and sustenance of The Golf Channel.

The players speak of him reverently, and there were so many old school things that he insisted upon. Watching the old black and white videos of they young man, and a couple of amazing stories I'd never heard before about his incredible strength. I had no idea.

Some of that is true, some of it isn't. He was a true gentleman of the game and created the first cult following for it. He was the first superstar of the game where people would follow in huge masses that might not even play the game.

If you're talking about the Seniors Tour, i would say Trevino, Chi Chi and a few others had as much or more to do with it. I met Arnie on a couple of occasions (barely more than a handshake) but that man had a handshake at 80 yrs old that would make another man cringe.

Golf lost a huge icon, gentleman, family man and friend. It's a huge loss to the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT