ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts on Baylor

cimarron 56

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Baja Oklahoma...near Houston
First, yes I know that the most important game is the next game. No, I don't want us to overlook Kansas or Iowa State even though their combined record is 2 -12.

I saw quite a bit of their games against Tech and WVU. Their Defense doesn't appear to be as good in space as they have been the last couple of years. Tech had some big opportunities to stay with Baylor, and they didn't execute. WVU just didn't have the offensive horses to stay in the race...they didn't against us either. Baylor had them in Waco,; we played them at their place. The margin of victory was almost the same.

They gave up significant points versus 2-5 Iowa State.

Baylor does something that is utterly different in calling their blocking schemes, and I love it. The use the OSU poster board to signal the play, but they let the center call the protection independently. That gets the ball in play a lot quicker when they are going up-tempo. We are making strides in not taking an eternity to get play called and adjustments made, but we really could take a play from Art Briles book here.

Baylor does another thing that other teams not coached by Urban Meyer don't do. They play a game within a game. They have built on 10 years of this, going well back before Briles. But they always seem to have more objectives than winning the game, moving the sticks, making the stops executing on offense, defense and special teams. The engage in psychological warfare! They have an objective to make a statement in several facets of the game. They play like old school pitchers who drill batters who get a 4 bagger on them. They understand the cost/benefit of teeing off on a play-maker, even if it costs them a penalty. That is especially true when the play-maker is a QB or a wide receiver. Make them hear footsteps early and you have an advantage for the rest of the game.

I believe that it's built into their game plan. It's like running scripted play for your first two or three series to see how the opponent is going to react. But it's more like, let's make sure we get two or three solid hits on the QB in the first quarter, even if we have to do after the whistle. Make sure you really pound the ILB with a hard pick. It's like a programmed amount of dirty play, especially, in the first 20 minutes of the game. It's a dirty way to play. It's ugly. Briles loves it like a pig loves shit!

We need to take that away from them. We need to game plan more than X's and O's. We need to understand and counter our opponent better than we have in recent history. We need to turn their tendencies to our advantage!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.