ADVERTISEMENT

4/28/2015 Chat Recap

Dahlly

Sooner starter
Nov 21, 2006
Edmond
Just kept it rough and didn't add links or anything, just wanted the info out there.

Josh any news about Kellen
Josh_M: So far, nothing. I will say he seemed to bristle ONLY at the comment on he had committed. Not that it was Oklahoma - usually...that's a sign.

Thoughts on the current receiver commits?
Josh_M: Funny enough, they are very similar guys to my eyes. Hardy and Parker are both long guys who have surprising quickness but I think where Hardy is a bit more sudden Parker is a bit more explosive over the top.

I also wanted to see if you had a chance to speak with Caleb Kelly
Josh_M: So far I haven't, we were supposed to catch up right before his trip and since then haven't had much luck.

How does Ryan Parker compare to Dede?
Josh_M: I can tell you more of that tomorrow as I'm getting up at 5a to go catch Tyler JC's practice.
Josh_M: But based on what I do know Parker is a bigger guy, more length to his game but isn't nearly as sudden and quick twitch as Dede.

Any thought on where you think Kellen is headed
Josh_M: Oh I think it's OU, very little question IMO.

Josh, OU offered Juco CB J'marcus rhodes
Josh_M: Checking on that.

Next defensive Commit?
Josh_M: I'm going to guess someone who doesn't have an offer yet or isn't well known at all - something similar to Parker. Starting to feel like this class may have a lot of surprises.

How many commits do you think we could see that just come out of nowhere like parker?
Josh_M: hahaha, wow you asked before I said it! Sorry, didn't even realize. I think you're going to see a handful like this.

Soonerfan60: Guy who you think is way underrated? guy overrated?
Josh_M: In class, or just in general?
Soonerfan60: in general for 2016 class. any recruit
Josh_M: Overrated? Hmm...maybe Tyler Vaughns. Don't get me wrong, I like him and he is a big smooth guy but I just don't see the top end speed I'd want from a receiver with, essentially a 'first round' grade.
Josh_M: Underrated, probably E.J. Price, I really like his tape, great athlete.

bob: josh, does mike stoops know what defense hes going to run?
Josh_M: Of course he does, my issues is with the constant changes you continue to have different recruiting needs and it's tougher to tailor your talent to your players.

Brock5208: I snuck it in haha. What would make one class have more unknowns? Coaches digging deeper? Getting lucky in finding kids?
Josh_M: Oh it's a bit of both but with OU their system is a bit of an unknown so they can adapt things a bit and perhaps look at kids that other schools can debate a bit more about.
Josh_M: And part of it is also just good luck I mean sometimes we just haven't found a guy yet.

What's your take on Picking up Juco WR's this early ? How many WR's do you think they are after in this class ?
Josh_M: I'm starting to think 4 may be the number.
Josh_M: As far as taking him, I have no issue with it, he can play.

Any big name surprises that you think We have a good shot at ?
Josh_M: Nothing right now but generally OU surprises me toward the end of the summer/early season with a name or two so don't take that as anything too negative right now.
I believe you've said we expect to have ~20 in the 2016 class. You may have answered this (perhaps repeatedly) but do you have an idea of how many at each position we're likely to take?
Josh_M: btucker, hit me on the board, that number is shifting around based on a few things I'm hearing.

bob: josh, i know its early, but does this staff have the ability to get us back to having top notch classes ?
Josh_M: Into the top 10? Maybe. Staying in top 12 or so...absolutely. I mean part of it is just the reality that recruiting on SEC turf right now is REALLY tough and I think in some ways OU holds themselves back.

Soonerfan60: do we offer stoner? i like his film but not sure what position
Josh_M: That's my deal with him, where does he play? I'd guess OU doesn't offer but they could do a LOT worse.

Josh I am dumb and didn't follow your comments about Diesch
Josh_M: Which comment and I'll explain better - sorry.

Josh, what is your percentage on getting Marvin terry, Caleb kelly and mark Jackson?
Josh_M: Terry - 60%, Kelly - 65%, Jackson - 20%

Will the defense see significant improvement in your mind with the incoming freshmen that's haven't arrived yet ? Do you see a star in the making up to this point that didn't see much playing time in the past ?
Josh_M: II see some improvement because, frankly...it couldn't get much worse.
Josh_M: As far as an emerging star...Charles Walker, Obo, Jordan Thomas, and Steven Parker are all guys that (if things can come together) that have the potential to really take a huge step forward.

sub: About him bristling and that being a sign. Good sign?
Josh_M: Sorry, yeah, a good sign. I meant it didn't bother him about the idea that he had committed to Oklahoma - just the talk that he committed. It's a little thing - and sometimes it means NOTHING - but more often than not it's telling.

Soonerfan60: any idea what players coaches saw today? ro where theyve hit up?
Josh_M: I know they've still been all over Houston but am working to figure out where they were.

Brock5208: Do you think Mike being in the booth will help him see the field and be able to manage the game better?
Josh_M: To me that's where coordinators should be, it's very tough to truly see it from the field. But again every guy has their own take. TO me it's about his ability to be comfortable with it.

sub: Lot of inexperience in the secondary last season. I have a feeling the defense surprises in a good way this season
Josh_M: I think Cooks will put things in the right direction.

Do you think that it will be Perine, Mixon, and Brooks getting the brunt of the playing time and keeping Ross more towards ST ? Or do you think they can utilize Roas better in this Offense ?
Josh_M: I think Riley can find some unique ways to use Ross but I don't know that it will be a lot of him lining up as a pure RB.

Josh, how do you see our offensive line recruiting turn out for 2016?
Josh_M: I think OU ends up pretty strong, honestly BB is a quality recruiter and I'll be surprised if any of his OL classes are a big problem.

sub: Hopefully Ross doesn't see much PT as a RB. Outside of catching swing passes or running through a hole untouched he isn't good.
Josh_M: We all know I like to argue but with that point, I really can't. Ross just isn't a natural runner, he is just an incredible athlete.

We al know that you have a man crush on Thomas ;) but do you think this offense can win with any of these guys or are we still in dire need of a miracle ?
Josh_M: Nah, they can win with those guys, to me it's about Riley being allowed to run an offense that actually suits whatever QB he chooses. I thought last year Knight flashed good things and then the reins got pulled on him and he was trying to play a game that didn't suit him.

sub: I sure hope they can find a QB that can be consistent. From what I saw outta Westbrook he and Shepard would easily be the best WR combo 8n conference.
sub: Offense has so much potential with Perine, Shepard, Mixon, Quick, Andrews
Josh_M: seriously, skill position potential to be as good as anyone (perhaps better) in the conference.

Where is the like button ? In trying to ask you as many questions as I can to make this chat harder on you and your blowing it up lol.
Josh_M: No like button for you.

If Perine has another year like last year then do we need to prepare ourselves for a very early departure ? I know the stock for RB in the pros isn't as valued as much as the past but he is just built to build a NFL team around.
Josh_M: Well, he can't go anywhere until after 2016 season anyway, so not that early regardless.

sub: Josh an idea what Gabriel Campbell is weighing? Physically did you like what you saw out of Orso in the spring game?
Josh_M: Campbell is a guy I've not talked to in too long. Can check in with him - not far from getting started with the final interviews with the signees.

Brock5208: Thoughts on the Ginormous human being in New York? (Andrew Marshall)
Josh_M: I like him, my question is if he can stick at tackle. I don't think it's IMPOSSIBLE but to me he'd have to trim down a bit and continue to improve his ability to slide.

Brock5208: Similar to Loadholt if my memory serves me. Do you think Austin earns a 5th star by the time final rankings are out?
Josh_M: I don't, honestly I think we've got him a little high. Think he is probably a top 50ish guy but a potential 5-star? I don't see that on tape.

Anything exciting that you might be holding back from us at this point ?
Josh_M: Me? NEVER! I don't want Sub thinking I've got more boring stuff. ;)

Brock5208: Thoughts on Mayden coming in for a visit last weekend?
Josh_M: It surprises me, I really wasn't rating OU's chances that high but I know they are working on mom hard and that's, to me, the key piece of his puzzle.

Any updates on K. Ford? I feel like he could really ball in this new offense.
Josh_M: Nothing that I've heard, I'd honestly be surprised if he sticks at OU. But you know, crazier stuff happens.

sub: Recruiting feels boring right now. I like the guys we have. just want things to pick up
Josh_M: It's been a little weird so far this year, I kind of keep waiting for a big explosive series of offers but so far...nada.

Brock5208: Safe to assume you plan on catching up with him this week?
Josh_M: Definitely working to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.