ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Predictions

PryorFan

Sooner starter
Dec 26, 2004
14-1 and #8 in the record books. Loss will be early, probably, gulp, Texas since they will have the best defense in the big xii. Sooners way too loaded on the offense to lose more than one game and by the end of the season the defense will hopefully be contributing with some stops to carry us thru the championship games. KM will electrify!

Boomer Sooner

???

Last edited:
My guess is more in line with CTs but I think another playoff appearance is possible if KM displays a little Baker magic and the D actually improves. I guess 1 out of 2 isnt so bad though.

Reactions: KStateFootball82
We’ll be favored over everyone e play when we play them, so unless we stumble against someone we shouldn’t, it should be another CFP appearance. But that’s hard to do. Very few teams don’t stumble somewhere along the way.

I’m going 12–1 and our 4th consecutive Conference Championship, but I’ll stop short of calling for a CFP appearance because of our SOS. Our conference won’t be looked at very favorably.

13-1 and #8 in the record books. Loss will be early, probably, gulp, Texas since they will have the best defense in the big xii. Sooners way too loaded on the offense to lose more than one game and by the end of the season the defense will hopefully be contributing with some stops to carry us thru the championship games. KM will electrify!

Boomer Sooner

???

I agree because I think Baker’s dropoff to Kyler is less impactful than another year for the defense to improve and grow.

I won't call this a prediction, but I can see a scenario where the offense takes a (small) step back and exposes just how deficient our defense is. Baker & Co. covered for many of the D's shortcomings last year. We can't count on that EVERY year. This may be the year the full extent of our D woes is shown. 9 - 3 with a decent but not New Years Bowl.

Not sure what to think. Big 12 overall is down a few notches. We played pretty damn bad on D in Big 12 games last year. The D better turn it around this year, or we will drop a couple games this year. If the young talent steps up and takes no prisoners, then the sky is the limit for this team. Coaching also must improve !!

I think ou goes undefeated with this schedule. If the defense is better it's game on. Running game will be potent. WV and Kstate r the teams I would keep an eye on. RRR is always the unknown and if u survive that game it's a relief.

The BigXII will be interesting this year

Okielite, big time rebuild, with a great RB........ Win

Texass, lost key starters on defense and their best Olineman, is a 5th year, maybe, NFL pratice squad. Couldn't start at OU but could get in the rotation. Best RB 800 career yards in the PAC.....Win

WVU, is the 2018 OkieLite. Great, QB, RB and WR's. One or two key injuries on defense and they are toast. We play in Morgan Town at night, this will be a TOUGH game. Toughest game on the schedule

TCU, rebuild but always solid. Tough road game.....Win

ISU, OU might have a better defensive player then a ISU, QB turned LB. ....Mike Stoops pay attention......revenge Win

UCLA, new coach, new system, rebuild.....Win

KSU, same old same old. OU is just flat better.....Win

TT, KU, both are just bad......Win

Baylor will be better but OU has a better team in all aspects....Win

I don't see us slipping up twice. We will field a better team then anyone on OUr schedule. One regular season loss, with a possible bowl loss.

LR, will need to learn from last year. Play to win all 4 quarters and think about how the offense effects the defense. Delegate, delegate, delegate

2017 vs 2018

QB, drop off but the QB running game will be great. Instead of a scrambling break down pass. Murray will run for big yards. 1000 yards rushing and 3000 passing. Defenses will be gassed the 2nd half.
WR...Better...Top 15 in CFB
RB....Better...Top 5-10 in CFB, could easily become Top 5
FB....this is where we see a Big Drop off....worse
TE....drop off but not as bad. Depth is the challenge
Oline, the same, Top 5-10 in CFB
Dline....better depth but will MS actually run a 4 man front
LB....better but thin
CB...better
Safety........pencil thin, with only 2 real safeties. Jones has outgrow, the safety position......scary, most likely worse

Special teams......I think Beamer will have a great effect on ST....better, much better!

Reactions: kcstorm06
OU will win'em all and do it hands down. No one on the schedule is anywhere near
OU's talent. UT will be the closes, but they lose to much up front on defense and
still lacks the O-line to keep up with OU on offense. After that it's anyone's guess
how the CFP will turn out, but han OU will be much better prepared on defense
than they were this year.

Mayfield personally won at least 4 games last year and is gone.
OU's best defender is gone in Okoronkwo.
What remains are some very talented players, but some entering this season as works-in-progress.
While the overall 2018 schedule is probably not as challenging (even with road games at Iowa State, TCU,Texas, Texas Tech and West Virginia) , OU cannot be regarded as good as it was last year....at this time.
Lots of young players need to come through, especially on defense, which is a lost art under Mike Stoops. And playing in a conference less formidable than the SEC, Big 10 and ACC.....where teams need to use spread (and gimmicky) offenses to compensate for lesser overall talent....doesn't help OU. At least not historically.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Bottom line is the Sooners have to play much better defensively, and hold on to leads. Last year we failed to keep a stranglehold on opponents. LR also needs to keep the foot on the gas pedal if there are ANY signs the defense is struggling and out of gas. We will score points by bushels, but cannot expect to maintain any cred if we can’t keep scores under 20. Especially this year with a notable downturn in Big 12 top 20 teams...

Reactions: iasooner1
Every year it's the same. Some players leave, other players step up. But guess what? That's college football which means that every other team is the same.

I like the direction the team is going and Riley has a year under his belt now so this is a good thing as well.

The BigXII will be interesting this year

Okielite, big time rebuild, with a great RB........ Win

Texass, lost key starters on defense and their best Olineman, is a 5th year, maybe, NFL pratice squad. Couldn't start at OU but could get in the rotation. Best RB 800 career yards in the PAC.....Win

WVU, is the 2018 OkieLite. Great, QB, RB and WR's. One or two key injuries on defense and they are toast. We play in Morgan Town at night, this will be a TOUGH game. Toughest game on the schedule

TCU, rebuild but always solid. Tough road game.....Win

ISU, OU might have a better defensive player then a ISU, QB turned LB. ....Mike Stoops pay attention......revenge Win

UCLA, new coach, new system, rebuild.....Win

KSU, same old same old. OU is just flat better.....Win

TT, KU, both are just bad......Win

Baylor will be better but OU has a better team in all aspects....Win

I don't see us slipping up twice. We will field a better team then anyone on OUr schedule. One regular season loss, with a possible bowl loss.

LR, will need to learn from last year. Play to win all 4 quarters and think about how the offense effects the defense. Delegate, delegate, delegate

2017 vs 2018

QB, drop off but the QB running game will be great. Instead of a scrambling break down pass. Murray will run for big yards. 1000 yards rushing and 3000 passing. Defenses will be gassed the 2nd half.
WR...Better...Top 15 in CFB
RB....Better...Top 5-10 in CFB, could easily become Top 5
FB....this is where we see a Big Drop off....worse
TE....drop off but not as bad. Depth is the challenge
Oline, the same, Top 5-10 in CFB
Dline....better depth but will MS actually run a 4 man front
LB....better but thin
CB...better
Safety........pencil thin, with only 2 real safeties. Jones has outgrow, the safety position......scary, most likely worse

Special teams......I think Beamer will have a great effect on ST....better, much better!

You left off FAU. I do.think our Sooners will win this game but this is a very good team. They went 11-3 last season and Lane Kiffin will have this team ready. This is their entire motivation, to beat OU. Couple this with a very early game, this will not be a cake walk 'tune up' game we've had on past schedules.

But in the end, OU wins.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/a...u-game-preview-2018?__twitter_impression=true

FAU had a good season but let’s look at the schedule they played.

Their schedule wouldn't have mattered. Actually no one's schedules really do. It's what transpires between the lines for 60 minutes that counts. So don't kid yourself, they'd thrown up some points on last year's defense. Baker & Co. would have matched it and won going away, but they would've scored points.

Strength of schedule does matter. It was a factor in FAU winning 11 games and being rated outside of the nation’s top 24 teams. I don’t disagree that it could be a program on the rise under Kiffin, and I think FAU would have score some points on OU last season....because MANY teams hung a lot of points on OU.
My point is that OU should win its game against FAU decisively, especially in Norman.

Strength of schedule does matter. It was a factor in FAU winning 11 games and being rated outside of the nation’s top 24 teams. I don’t disagree that it could be a program on the rise under Kiffin, and I think FAU would have score some points on OU last season....because MANY teams hung a lot of points on OU.
My point is that OU should win its game against FAU decisively, especially in Norman.

OU didn't book FAU because of their strength of schedule. They booked them as a tune up game. And no one has said they would beat OU. Go back and read the posts and the article.

OU doesn’t schedule teams out of conference due to their strength of schedule and I never said OU did.
Yes, no one has said FAU would beat OU.
Yes, this game was probably scheduled as a tune up game for OU with UCLA a week later.
These three things are not a bone of contention with me. They have nothing to do with my first post.

You left off FAU. I do.think our Sooners will win this game but this is a very good team. They went 11-3 last season and Lane Kiffin will have this team ready. This is their entire motivation, to beat OU. Couple this with a very early game, this will not be a cake walk 'tune up' game we've had on past schedules.

But in the end, OU wins.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/a...u-game-preview-2018?__twitter_impression=true

I wonder if Robinson the QB, that got kicked off the team last year will start? If memory serves me, he was a pretty highly recruited kid and a Riley pick

FAU in my opinion will give all of us a good picture of this years defense. This team has some offensive firepower and has a vertical game. They also have a very good RB and I would venture to say LK will test the defensive line of OU.

I actually like this as an opener because I dont think playing a pure cupcake to open the season does a team any good. FAU may not be a primetime opponent but it isnt a total cupcake either. Mike and his 950k salary better be prepared.

I wonder if Robinson the QB, that got kicked off the team last year will start? If memory serves me, he was a pretty highly recruited kid and a Riley pick

I think he got booted off FAU also...or at least suspended indefinitely. A problem child without ever playing in a game. He was all popping off on the Sooners before the FAU coaches put the hammer down.

ADVERTISEMENT