ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
Right now, OU's football program is the source of much concern and criticism from many of us, myself included.
But looking at the 2017 class, OU has 15 (fifteen) 4-star athletes and are in on a few more. That's 15 of the 20 commitments with 4-star ratings.
This includes 3 running backs, an elite quarterback (Robison), 2 elite offensive lineman, 5 WR/TE's, 3 elite DB's and 3 elite LB's (one of whom is arguably the state's top prospect, Levi Draper).
Presently, depending on which recruiting service you look at, OU has a top five class nationally.....and this in spite of the program's overall situation (a 2-2 record, playing in the weak Big 12 and with serious defensive deficiencies.)
Evidently, the OU brand still stands strong in spite of everything....and what is said here and elsewhere in the social media has no significant bearing on the players' decisions to attend the college of their choice.
What high school players care about is what the coaches and players tell them during on-campus visits and how they regard the school's facilities and academics. The 2017 class reflects this.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer on such a positive post....but....
Our dominant defenses have always started with dominant D-linemen.
That is the one position (besides special teams) that is absent from the list.

I would hope that position is now THE remaining recruiting target unless the coaches feel good about Gallimore and Overton next year....and Romar likely returns. But I agree that at least two more DT's are very much a priority even though the 2017 class is so highly rated.

Alphabetical Order - Stars

Basquine - WalkOn
Baxter - 2
Farrar - 3
Green - 3
Jones - 4
Lewis - 4
Mead - 3
Miller - 3
Smallwood - 3
Westbrook - 4

Well, our 3s and 4s are barely getting it done. Hopefully, these 4s are better.

Early in Bob's career he had a reputation for not needing to recruit star ratings to be on a level field with the best programs in the country. Contrast that with Mack Brown during the same time frame that hauled in top ranked classes in the country according to star ratings, yet made made a habit of taking beatings from Bob's lesser star rated teams.
Fast forward to today, and it appears to have come full circle. Bob is apparantly now needing to recruit star ratings or risking a talent gap compared to the Ohio States, Alabamas, Clemsons, or even the Houstons of the world. So has Bob Stoops become a version of Mack Brown almost? Bob still gets 4 star players, but most seem to not pan out to their hoped for potential. Does Bob now fail to develop talent like we all laughed at Mack Brown for doing all those years ago?

Reactions: Huntin Hard
If you're talking 1999 and 2000, sure, but after that, Bob most certainly had top flight talent at the important positions. Pick a year and I'll tell you the difference makers with high star rankings

If you're talking 1999 and 2000, sure, but after that, Bob most certainly had top flight talent at the important positions. Pick a year and I'll tell you the difference makers with high star rankings

And in 1999/2000, he was winning on an innovative offense with a true field general and a defense that showcased one of the best linebacker duos in history back when a couple good linebackers were all a defense needed.

Oh no doubt he still got some great talent back in those days that were superstars. But Bob was also known for great talent evaluation and picking out lesser rated talent, and developing that talent into great players. When AD chose OU I think that was one of his comments that OU is better at developing talent than everyone else. How often does that happen these days? These days even alot of the 4 star talent OU has ends up having less impact than hoped for when they are recruited.
Or hell...maybe it's just a false impression I am left with when comparing 10+ years ago and today.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Star ratings are great, yet can never tell the whole story... some 4/5 star athletes will have reached their full potential/development in high school. Some of them have no concept of competing for a spot. Marcus Dupree is a perfect example.

2/3 stars who worked their asses off to play in high school will often have that work ethic still in college. Good coaches can often get them to play above their potential and be difference makers...

OSU, BU, TT and the rest of the conference have NO problem getting maximum mileage out of their 2 and 3-stars. Most schools in the XII compete well within our now weak conference. The better recruiting schools - OU and UT - struggle bigtime with player development. Most of our opponents in the XII are now toss-up games. Go figure. What happened to our conference authority of late?

Among our team's personnel groups, we have incredible difficulty developing our 4-star WR's - an intricate aspect of our up tempo offense - yet this appears to be NO problem with the others and their lesser talent.

It will take, imho, a coaching overhaul at OU to restore our program's prominence within our conference and nationally.

Boomer Sooner

Reactions: BillyRay
Star ratings are great, yet can never tell the whole story... some 4/5 star athletes will have reached their full potential/development in high school. Some of them have no concept of competing for a spot. Marcus Dupree is a perfect example.

2/3 stars who worked their asses off to play in high school will often have that work ethic still in college. Good coaches can often get them to play above their potential and be difference makers...
We have been singing the praises here for 3-star players many years now (myself included)....and how the star rating system is not that important or is unreliable. As far as ascending to national championship level, the that formula is not working for OU and the coaches seem to have gotten the message.

Now.....finally....OU is getting in on many 4 star recruits which should bode well for 2017 and beyond. 14, 4-stars in 2015, 10, 4-stars in 2016, plus a 5-star in Caleb Kelly and 15, 4-stars in the 2017 class so far.
Unfortunately, this year's team is plagued by depth problems and inexperience with only a handful of good players, most of whom are on offense.
A Big 12 championship, however irrelevant on the CFB landscape, should help recruiting down the stretch. In other words, every game from here on is crucial for the Sooners.

We have been singing the praises here for 3-star players many years now (myself included)....and how the star rating system is not that important or is unreliable. As far as ascending to national championship level, the that formula is not working for OU and the coaches seem to have gotten the message.

Now.....finally....OU is getting in on many 4 star recruits which should bode well for 2017 and beyond. 14, 4-stars in 2015, 10, 4-stars in 2016, plus a 5-star in Caleb Kelly and 15, 4-stars in the 2017 class so far.
Unfortunately, this year's team is plagued by depth problems and inexperience with only a handful of good players, most of whom are on offense.
A Big 12 championship, however irrelevant on the CFB landscape, should help recruiting down the stretch. In other words, every game from here on is crucial for the Sooners.

Sure, yet given that, texASS should be a top 10 team every year...

Last year, I got ripped here on this board by some nameless entities for my examination of specific classes, specifically 2011. Those guys would've been seniors last year, this year if redshirted. That top 10 class when reevaluated was better at #50...

According to this website, the 2011 class netted only 5 players who turned out to be solid players: Jordan Phillips, P.L. Lindley, Jordan Wade, Nila Kasitati and to some degree, Frank Shannon.
RB Brandon Williams and WR Trey Metoyer, both 5-star players, never panned out.

According to this website, the 2011 class netted only 5 players who turned out to be solid players: Jordan Phillips, P.L. Lindley, Jordan Wade, Nila Kasitati and to some degree, Frank Shannon.

Trey was 2012, I believe because of the need to go to transitional school or whatever they call it.

Just looking at the significant players from the previous 4 recruiting classes, I think it's clear to see that 2013 really kicked us in the pants.

Those that have played
2012 (25 commitments) - 48% usage - 3.58 avg star
Lacoltan Bester - 3
Damien Williams - 3
Zack Sanchez - 3
Sam Grant - 3
Taylor McNamara - 4
Charles Tapper - 3
Trevor Knight - 4
Ty Darlington - 4
Durron Neal - 4
Eric Striker - 4
Sterling Shepard - 4
Alex Ross - 4

2013 (25 commitments) - 48% usage - 3.00 avg star
Dionte Savage - 2
Dakota Austin - 2
Matt Romar - 3
KJ Young - 3
Charles Walker - 3
Okoronkwo - 3
Jordan Evans - 3
Dom Alexander - 3
Hatari Byrd - 4
Ahmad Thomas - 3
Stanvon Taylor - 4
Matt Dimon - 3

2014 (27 commitments) - 41% usage - 3.54 avg star
Michiah Quick - 4
Orlando Brown - 3
Steven Parker - 4
Jordan Thomas - 3
Joe Mixon - 5
Devante Bond - 3
Dimitri Flowers - 3
John Alvarez - 2
Mark Andrews - 4
Alex Dalton - 4
Samaje Perine - 4

2015 (26 commitments) - 19% usage - 3.80 avg star
Dede Westbrook - 4
Will Sunderland - 4
Dru Samia - 4
Cody Ford - 4
Austin Seibert - 3

Reactions: CTOkie

Exactly.

I'm wondering how Bud Wilkinson and Barry Switzer recruited such great players while being at a disadvantage in that OU was in a state with very little high school talent. Texas was, and still is a great source, yet now we hear that Bob is at a disadvantage to schools like Alabama and Ohio State. What's different now than back when? I drove to Alabama last week and traveled around the state, and every city is still where I remember it being when I was living there in the 50's. I'm pretty sure Florida and Georgia were still next door neighbors back then as they are now. Weird that these schools have a much bigger talent pool today than they had back when Oklahoma was dominating college football. And Schoonerman, it's spelled Oklablablabla. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm wondering how Bud Wilkinson and Barry Switzer recruited such great players while being at a disadvantage in that OU was in a state with very little high school talent. Texas was, and still is a great source, yet now we hear that Bob is at a disadvantage to schools like Alabama and Ohio State. What's different now than back when? I drove to Alabama last week and traveled around the state, and every city is still where I remember it being when I was living there in the 50's. I'm pretty sure Florida and Georgia were still next door neighbors back then as they are now. Weird that these schools have a much bigger talent pool today than they had back when Oklahoma was dominating college football. And Schoonerman, it's spelled Oklablablabla. :cool:

It isn't any different. Oklahoma Sooner football can sell itself. If you can't get recruits to go to OU, you aren't trying.

I'm wondering how Bud Wilkinson and Barry Switzer recruited such great players while being at a disadvantage in that OU was in a state with very little high school talent. Texas was, and still is a great source, yet now we hear that Bob is at a disadvantage to schools like Alabama and Ohio State. What's different now than back when?

Look at the NFL these days and the schools that those players are coming from. It's amazing how damn near 50% of them come from schools you've either never heard of or certainly never watch. The NFL has big money and their scouting is through the roof compared to earlier than 1990. Players know it. You don't have to be a champion or on an elite team to make it to the NFL which is the real driver to nearly every talented player.

Dallas alone can easily field a couple of championship caliber college teams, and it used to when they were all going to Oklahoma, Texas or aTm. But now, what's the precept for attending one of those teams and risking the chance that you don't even showcase your talent because you don't see the field enough or because maybe you're the best or neck and neck with the best but the coach likes them better?

Now it's, I can go to OU, OSU, Texas Tech, Baylor, aTm, Texas, Houston and on and on.

Throw in the fact that air travel is easier and cheaper than ever, and the Internet continually makes the world smaller - first by email, then by video-calling, then by social media, then by LIVE social media. Now, what's the precept for staying close to home?

I've referenced this before, but John Calipari at Kentucky is a smart man that is adapting with these changes. He gets top flight talent by promising play time and sticking to it. Encourages them to go to the NBA early too.

It's tougher for football since players have to stay 3 years. If you played everyone you promised for 3 years, you wouldn't have any spots left to promise new recruits.
The strength required to get a good team would preclude a team of all freshmen and sophomores too.
It'd still be interesting to see a football coach try such an approach. Maybe just make the promises to skill players while maintaining your bigs for 4 years. Maybe the bigs will stick around since they know they'll always be fighting alongside top talent.

Look at the NFL these days and the schools that those players are coming from. It's amazing how damn near 50% of them come from schools you've either never heard of or certainly never watch. The NFL has big money and their scouting is through the roof compared to earlier than 1990. Players know it. You don't have to be a champion or on an elite team to make it to the NFL which is the real driver to nearly every talented player.

Dallas alone can easily field a couple of championship caliber college teams, and it used to when they were all going to Oklahoma, Texas or aTm. But now, what's the precept for attending one of those teams and risking the chance that you don't even showcase your talent because you don't see the field enough or because maybe you're the best or neck and neck with the best but the coach likes them better?

Now it's, I can go to OU, OSU, Texas Tech, Baylor, aTm, Texas, Houston and on and on.

Throw in the fact that air travel is easier and cheaper than ever, and the Internet continually makes the world smaller - first by email, then by video-calling, then by social media, then by LIVE social media. Now, what's the precept for staying close to home?

I get your point but I had one of those The Dude moments so I had to read it twice. I'm still laughing at myself.

The Big Lebowski: "You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that, do ya? On a weekday?"

The Dude: "This is a. What day is it?"

It's an interesting data science question. If I had easy access to NFL player alumni affiliations over time, I would plot it for us. Anyone know a good website for that kind of historical information?

It's an interesting data science question. If I had easy access to NFL player alumni affiliations over time, I would plot it for us. Anyone know a good website for that kind of historical information?

Winsipedia.com might...

Wilkinson recruited Oklahoma, which at the time, produced good talent and had no in-state competition by OSU or Tulsa....then he recruited north Texas well. He also did some cherry picking getting Tommy McDonald (1954-56) and Ralph Neely (1962-64) out of New Mexico. The Sooners were helped by playing in a weak Big 8 Conference. The 47 game winning streak consisted of opposition with a collective 38% winning percentage during the 1953-56 seasons. Notre Dame and Texas were awful.
I will always wonder how Wilkinson's last 5 years might have gone had he recruited ALL of Texas and stayed away from politics.
I believe the tide turned when Royal came to Texas in 1957 and Wilkinson may have started thinking of a political career as his 1959-61 teams went 15-14-1, then briefly came back in 1962 with an 8-3 record.

This X1000, we missed out big time last year and desperately have to get some guys this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT