ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Sooner State Rankings: New Guy Breaks it Down (50-41)

Joe_DuVall

Sooner starter
Staff
Sep 3, 2015
Alright guys, going to go one-by-one through Josh's 2016 Sooner State Rankings and give you my personal evaluations and thoughts as I go along.

Let's it get started with #50 on the list, Norman North OT Walker Reed.

+
Reed is a guy who uses his brute size and strength to his advantage. There just aren't many high defensive ends he's going up against that have the weight to compete. That said, Reed displays an impressive punch and isn't simply just a "get in the way" type of blocker - he'll drive your butt right into the ground; there's a serious nasty streak to his game.

-
There's not nearly as much power in Reed's lower body as his devastating upper body strength. You'll see him get off-balance and I wonder how well he'll hold up in pass protection at the next level. I've posed the idea that Reed could be best suited as a guard in college, but it would definitely be a project.

Verdict: If he shows the same tenacity as a senior as he did as a junior, there should be a D1 school out there who will take a chance on him.

#49 Broken Arrow RB Jamall Shaw

+
Shaw might not be a freak athlete like Joe Mixon or freakishly strong like Samaje Perine, but he has a nice blend of balance, vision, and strength. Fearless runner that will take on tacklers once he's out of options to get extra yards.

-
Enough speed to get the job done, but not elite. Not as smooth as some runners and won't have the wiggle of guys like Roy Finch, but still does a good job getting yards within the clutter. Reminds me of a safety playing running back - not unlike former Sooner Allen Patrick.

Verdict: HUGE fan of Shaw's game. He's just someone who will do everything you need from your back.

#48 Mustang TE Bryce Roberts

+
Roberts is a guy I got a chance to see in person last Friday in Mustang's win over Edmond Memorial. While there's been a lot of attention lately on his teammate and fellow tight end, Blake Williams (who we'll talk about later), I came away impressed with Roberts' game. Throughout the first half the Broncos would give Williams rest, perhaps to be cautious due to his medical history, but also because Bryce Roberts is very good tight end. He consistently opened up holes for big plays in the running game and that's something that is clearly reflected in his film.

tdgDcXB.gif

-
He'll never be the vertical threat that his counterpart is, but Roberts will slip out to catch the occasional pass underneath. No one would dare call Roberts small at 6-4 230, and he's every bit of it, but if he were a tad bigger I could see OT in his future.

Verdict: A dying breed: a true blocking tight end.

#47 Tulsa Central DE Laron Stokes

+
Stokes is a guy who is relies heavily on his athleticism and that's because he has loads of it. If he's given some space he can make up ground quickly and strike suddenly. Fast enough to pursue the running back from the back side.

-
I wish his hands were more active. He'll get locked up by stronger tackles. Doesn't show off a myriad of moves.

Verdict: There's a lot to work with there, but Stokes is extremely raw.

#46 Norman North DT Corey Tipsword

+
When Tipsword can stay low he flashes worlds of potential. Good at driving his man back to collapse the pocket. Nice blend of strength, size, and athleticism.

-
Consistency is the word that kept coming to mind as I watched Tipsword. Too often he would stand up off the snap and lose the point of attack. Sometimes he'll be strong and rip through blocks while other times he too easily allows linemen to get their hands inside.

Verdict: The talent is there, but I think a lot of people will be curious to see how he does on the field his senior season.

#45 Southmoore RB Dunya Rice

+
Rice is someone that Southmoore puts all over the field. I wouldn't consider him a running back, but more just a weapon for an offense. He must be accounted for in the passing game as he not only has great speed, but runs polished routes, and has excellent hands. Will punt and throw passes for the Sabercats as well. Just a good football player.

-
At 5-6, the opportunities for Rice are going to be harder to come by. And he doesn't have the same elite explosion out of cuts that someone like Dri Archer does to fully counter-balance that size deficiency.

Verdict: Tail as old as time. Great high school football player, but his frame hurts him as a prospect.

#44 Sallisaw TE Quint Scoufos

+
Spent the majority of his career as a quarterback, but has played more linebacker and tight end this season for Sallisaw - his more natural position in college. One thing I wanted to see was how Scoufos handled the physicality of those positions and it was clear on tape that he is not afraid of contact. There's some solid athleticism there, especially for his 6-4 235 size, but I actually like his future more at linebacker than with the ball in his hand. Here's an example of Scoufos willing to put a hit on a fullback to blow up a play.

EpQaNrd.gif

-
Can play stiff at times. Clearly an athlete who is learning a new position and is still raw. Will need time and patience.

Verdict: You can see why Scoufos has a few D1 scholarship offers already. Coaches see some clay they can mold.

#43 Ada LB Shiloh Windsor - Wyoming Commit

+

A lot to love on Windsor's tape. First off, he's a linebacker that plays running back for his high school team, which is something that tells me he's one of the best athletes on the team (he even had a 93-yard touchdown run). Diagnoses plays quickly and then doesn't hesitate to react. Once a hole opens up, Windsor has no qualms firing in at full speed to blow up the lead blocker.

-
Windsor will tackle too high on occasion - most likely a byproduct of playing competition smaller than him his whole life and rarely needing to take down a bigger back at the legs. He also will need to add some weight at the next level to hold up against 300 lb D1 guards trying to eat him up in the second level.

Verdict: I like Windsor a lot and wouldn't be shocked to see him garner more attention as the process goes along.

#42 Heritage Hall ATH Tevin McDaniel

+
I'm glad Air Force has offered him, because guys like Tevin McDaniel are good for college football. He's listed as an athlete, but he'll be a fullback/h-back at the next level. McDaniel will put you on your back in the hole or stiff-arm you and take it to the crib if you don't account for him in the passing game. He's just good at what he does.

-
Honestly his limitations are something he can't do much about; McDaniel is a quality fullback in Big 12 country.

Verdict: Someplace like Air Force (where he already has an offer), Navy, or even Georgia Tech would benefit greatly from having someone like McDaniel in their offense.

#41 Anadarko LB Nacho Gallegos

+
A big, athletic, and violent hitter at the linebacker position. Capable of moving sideline to sideline, which is impressive given his size and power. Gallegos strength allows him to win the point of attack more often than not.

-
I would like like to see more plays with Gallegos in coverage and how he would handle spread offenses as most of his highlights tend to be making tackles on guys with the ball already in their hands. While his power and speed allows him to avoid being pushed around by linemen, he can have trouble getting separation after the initial contact.

Verdict: I'm hoping he develops his game beyond vicious hits and physicality, because Gallegos has tons of potential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.