ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Sooner State Rankings: New Guy Breaks it Down (10-1)

Joe_DuVall

Sooner starter
Staff
Sep 3, 2015
#10 Lawton Macarthur OL T.J. Fiailoa

+
It really is a great year for large and powerful guards in Oklahoma and Fiailoa is no exception. His goal isn’t just to get in your way; it’s to embarrass you. Fiailoa is a guy who packs a dominant punch and uses his most powerful tool, his strength, to his advantage.

PartialDistortedKid.gif

-
He has a tendency to stand up too quickly and lose leverage. Fiailoa’s reach will never be great. Not a guard you’ll want to pull a lot with his athleticism, but he has enough to get the job done at the second level. Still learning technique, but you can see improvement from his junior year to the first few games so far in 2015.

Verdict: Powerful, but not overly athletic guard who will immediately improve the mentality of whatever offensive line he is on.

#9 John Marshall OL Tramonda Moore

+
Moore is a rare prospect at offensive tackle. He’s someone who has the frame, size, and strength to handle bigger defensive linemen, but also the athletic ability, quickness, and reach to kick out on an edge rusher or get to the second level. Will use his legs along with his upper body strength to drive and finish blocks. His quickness allows him to make adjustments on defenders they don’t expect from a guy his size.

FreshSentimentalIsopod.gif

-
When he is not as focused on technique and leaves his athletic stance is when Moore can get in to trouble, but that’s a common problem. The chief concern here is grades as Moore looks to be a sign-and-place candidate.

Verdict: Moore is the elusive "dancing bear" prospect that schools are lining up for. That's why his offer list is so lengthy for a guy that's likely to end up as a JUCO sign and place candidate.

#8 Harrah OL Logan RobersonOklahoma Commit

+
The first thing I couldn’t help but notice was Roberson’s massive frame. His shoulders are very broad and are paired with a couple of tree trunks for legs. Roberson also is terrific at locking on to defenders overwhelming them with his size and strength. Not a plodding guard that one might expect with surprising athleticism and good feet. Here is 20 yards down the field running down a safety, which most guys his size would whiff on.

OnlyLargeAsianelephant.gif

-
It will be an adjustment at the next level when stronger defenders are better at keeping Roberson’s hands from latching on. Has some baby fat, but once he hits a college weight program could really fill out a potentially great frame.

Verdict: Another huge guard in the state, but I like Roberson’s potential as a complete blocker more than some others.

#7 Lincoln Christian QB Micah WilsonBoise St. Commit

+
Count me in as a huge fan of Wilson’s game. I love the way he commands the pocket with his composure and slight movements. Very underrated as a runner. Throws well on the run and has a compact, quick release. Watch his footwork on this play as he maneuvers himself up through the pocket – not back and out – and has the awareness to slide parallel to the line of scrimmage and keep his eyes downfield.

ArcticThatAsiaticgreaterfreshwaterclam.gif

-
Will occasionally get lazy with his technique and trust his arm too much without using his legs. Most of the time throws a tight spiral with a ton of zip, but when the nose flutters, so does Wilson’s arm strength.

Verdict: I think Wilson has all the tools to be an all-conference kind of quarterback at Boise State. Love the way he understands and controls the game at that position.

#6 Lexington OL Tyler BrownTCU Commit

+
Brown is not your typical looking guard prospect. He looks leaner in his frame when compared to some of the mammoths in the state, which will make him easier for his future strength and conditioning coach to mold. Great long arms you don’t typically see with guards. Can block in space and not just in tight spaces.

VillainousFairEft.gif

-
Not as overwhelmingly strong as some other guys on this list, but his frame leads you to believe he can get burlier.

Verdict: Brown is almost like having an athletic tackle at guard. Lots and lots of potential here.

#5 Del City QB Terry WilsonOregon Commit

+
I’ll just show you this one play so you can see all of Wilson’s tools on display. His athleticism and elusiveness to avoid the rush, his speed to get outside the pocket, his awareness to get downfield, and then Wilson does an outstanding job squaring his shoulders and throwing it 55+ yards on the run while rolling to the left as a right-handed quarterback.

BriefConcreteAmericanwarmblood.gif

-
I think Wilson is a guy who will throw some interceptions having too much faith in his abilities. He’ll sometimes wait to see something open up before reacting rather than anticipating.

Verdict: Wilson has some elite tools and potential if a school is willing to be patient with him.

#4 Southmoore DE Noah JonesTexas Tech Commit

+
Jones is an interesting prospect with some tools to work with. He has active hands, which makes him great at getting off blocks. Works down the line well when playing the run. In this play you can see how it all can come together for Jones as his athleticism allows him to avoid the tackle’s initial lunge and then the quickness and strength in his hands to shed him to the side in order to have his free run at the quarterback.

WeeklyExemplaryIberianemeraldlizard.gif

-
He’s not the quickest off the ball. Somewhat in between positions and I’m not sure he has the strength to take on interior linemen at the next level.

Verdict: Jones is an intriguing athlete on the defensive line that walks a fine line between being versatile and a tweener. I think his brightest future is being a bigger defensive end that coordinators can trust in the run game.

#3 Edmond Santa Fe LB Calvin Bundage

+
Many people use the fact that Bundage has played so much safety as a negative about his ability to hold up against the run, and they’re legitimate concerns, but I think his tape showed a litany of traits that suggest he has the chance to be a high quality linebacker. He is a violent hitter willing to take on any blocker. His great length and long arms will help him cover bigger tight ends at the next level. Bundage also has an impressive ability to shift his weight and change direction with a runner without losing much speed.

WetMixedChimneyswift.gif

-
Will need to go through a college strength and development program to bulk up. You’re never going to be sure if he has those linebacker instincts until you see him in there doing it a live, which, like any unknown, has to be a concern.

Verdict: All the pieces are there; it’s just a matter of if Bundage puts them together at the next level.

#2 Victory Christian LB Jon-Michael Terry - Oklahoma Commit

+
It’s easy to see why Oklahoma offered Terry so early in the process before he was a known commodity. He just has a terrific frame and set of skills to play multiple positions, which gives you a high floor, but I think he still has a ton of potential and a high ceiling at outside linebacker. Moves very well with incredible fluidity for a guy his size. Terrific balance when angling his body at high speeds leads you to believe he can turn the corner on tackles. Strong enough to hold the edge and fast enough to run down ball carriers. I love how this play gives you great perspective on how quickly he is moving for a guy his size to chase down a running back so much smaller than him.

QuarrelsomeReliableElephant.gif

-
A lot of Terry’s game is a projection of what could be as he’s basically used all over the field for Victory Christian. It’ll be interesting to see what happens once Terry is allowed to focus on one position.

Verdict: Oklahoma has to feel good to have an athlete of that versatility with such a high ceiling on the defensive side of the ball.

#1 Broken Arrow OL Rowdy FrederickTulsa Commit

+
I believe it was Saint Lunatic of St. Louis who once pondered, “What does it take to be number one?” For Rowdy Frederick, it takes a huge frame, mean streak, great power, tenacity, and one terrific mullet. Once Frederick latches on to a defender it’s game over. Having a big, powerful, and athletic base to go with terrific upper body strength makes you believe it’s something that will hold up against any competition, also evident by his dominant performance at camps. Here he is showcasing his ability in pass protection against quality competition. Watch as he sits back in his stance, moves his feet, and is patient waiting for the right time to explode into the defender, completely stop him in his tracks and then use his strength to push him out of the play.

LimitedBriskCur.gif

-
While Frederick has good enough feet, he won’t be an overly athletic guard. Struggles to kick out on the edge against speed rushers, but that shouldn’t be a huge problem in the interior at the next level.

Verdict: He’s a guy with a mullet named Rowdy who plays like a guy with a mullet named Rowdy. And that’s all you can really ask for in life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.