ADVERTISEMENT

1Oklahoma.com

Scottsdale.Sooner

Sooner starter
Jan 2, 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona (most of the time)
As predicted, a group of businessmen established an NIL program to benefit OU athletics. Switzer has agreed to be the frontman/spokesman for this organization. They have their sights set very high with a very aggressive plan. I heard a month or so ago that they want to put every scholarship player on $50,000. This figure is public info now. They will be coming to all of us for donations.

As predicted, a group of businessmen established an NIL program to benefit OU athletics. Switzer has agreed to be the frontman/spokesman for this organization. They have their sights set very high with a very aggressive plan. I heard a month or so ago that they want to put every scholarship player on $50,000. This figure is public info now. They will be coming to all of us for donations.
Thanks Scottsdale:

Reactions: iasooner2000
Stopped giving my donations yrs ago when Stadium Security did squat to remove 2 fat asses from our Season Ticket Holder Seats.
OU makes enough money, let them foot the bill. Or do away with Scholarships, everyone walks on and earns the paying jobs then they can pay their own way through school like the rest of us did. 😁

Last edited:
Stopped giving my donations yrs ago when Stadium Security did squat to remove 2 fat asses from our Season Ticket Holder Seats.
OU makes enough money, let them foot the bill. Or do away with Scholarships, everyone walks on and earns the paying jobs then they can pay their own way through school like the rest of us did. 😁
The university cannot be connected to any NIL deals. Therefore they cannot be the one to find it. That’s literally the only rule of NIL

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Guys, don't kid yourselves. Players have been getting paid for 60 years or more. The stakes have just gone up a little. A&M just doesn't have to cover it up any more. Meanwhile, OU's compliance dept worries about a few rules, still. This will surely put a dent in things, but we've been uphill on the $$$$ system for a long time. When I was a student, OU players were getting paid. It was just covertly. This will settle down eventually. But right now, it's literally the wild west show.

Guys, don't kid yourselves. Players have been getting paid for 60 years or more. The stakes have just gone up a little. A&M just doesn't have to cover it up any more. Meanwhile, OU's compliance dept worries about a few rules, still. This will surely put a dent in things, but we've been uphill on the $$$$ system for a long time. When I was a student, OU players were getting paid. It was just covertly. This will settle down eventually. But right now, it's literally the wild west show.
We/I have all heard players were paid and it's hard to argue against it. SMU and the Pony Express comes to mind. It was no secret that Switzer had a huge soft heart for his players in times of financial need or hardships. There are many stories from over his years as Head Coach. All of them heartwarming.

Really changes the way student athletes pick their schools. Tradition is out the window!
I ain't givin up on the true "student athlete" just yet. Those that believe in tradition are still gonna be there, they'll be OUr strongest players. Imo. 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Oklabama
I ain't givin up on the true "student athlete" just yet. Those that believe in tradition are still gonna be there, they'll be OUr strongest players. Imo. 👍
It's also going to change the way coaches recruit drastically. Love to hear their new pitch to parents and students.

I’d prefer to lose with a true amateur team than to win with a illegal team.

I had to laugh at this one Oklahoma. Schools including our Sooners have been paying kids illegally for years. And for the record, it's all legal now.

I had to laugh at this one Oklahoma. Schools including our Sooners have been paying kids illegally for years. And for the record, it's all legal now.
I, personally, know of three different players that had serious family difficulties that threatened their abilities to stay in school at OU. All three of them discovered cash in their lockers that remedied the situation and allowed them to fulfill their commitment to play at OU. Switzer was a well known benefactor of goodwill throughout his tenure.

I’m 75. I’ve known that longer than most, but now….. this is the way I feel today and opening up NIL to college and high school athletes spoils it for me. I’m in the minority and I have no problem with that whatsoever. Maybe if any and all references to college athletics being an amateur sport is dropped it would be different. They are professionals. Openly paid to play.

Was it ‘Uncle Walter’ that ended the news every day with “that’s the way it is” after we heard of modern marvels, rumors of wars and depravities daily before the innerwebz exposed our naivety ?
The concept of student athlete in major $$$ sports has been long gone for years, we just love those sports too much to stop watching. Fortunately OU has ladies softball too so we can assuage our need for dynasties and true amateur athletics plus watch Sooner football (or not)

Was it ‘Uncle Walter’ that ended the news every day with “that’s the way it is” after we heard of modern marvels, rumors of wars and depravities daily before the innerwebz exposed our naivety ?
The concept of student athlete in major $$$ sports has been long gone for years, we just love those sports too much to stop watching. Fortunately OU has ladies softball too so we can assuage our need for dynasties and true amateur athletics plus watch Sooner football (or not)
I think the softballers are earmarked for a NIL share from 1Oklahoma….so.

Jordan Addison WR from Pitt, Biletnikoff Award winner, entered the portal. U$C and Texa$ are reported his top two landing spots, or whoever writes the biggest check.

ADVERTISEMENT