ADVERTISEMENT

1984 OU vs. NEBRASKA

That is the first Sooner game I ever attended in person. My Dad and I sat in the north endzone almost at the top. Great game. I also remember being treated like crap by a lot of Nebraska fans that day.

Reactions: iasooner1
My wife and I went to a Houston hotel to watch the game on a small screen television in a room full of people. Great game but not much fun.
Watched the 1983 loss to Texas at the Astrodome on the big screen....another bad experience made so by the bad Texas fans.
I would have been better off watching Switzer's coaches show on Sunday night for both games.....one hour long, all the plays, replays and Switzer's comments....all in the privacy of my home.

Thanks for sharing CalSooner. Great game. Two great defenses. Osborne blew it.

FYI.... OU beat OSU the following week, 24-14 to win the Big 8. The Sooners played Washington in the Orange Bowl and lost to Don James' Huskies 28-17. If memory serves me correctly, BYU beat Michigan in the Holiday Bowl and won the MNC as the only undefeated team in 1984.

Thanks for sharing CalSooner. Great game. Two great defenses. Osborne blew it.

FYI.... OU beat OSU the following week, 24-14 to win the Big 8. The Sooners played Washington in the Orange Bowl and lost to Don James' Huskies 28-17. If memory serves me correctly, BYU beat Michigan in the Holiday Bowl and won the MNC as the only undefeated team in 1984.
BYU beat a 6-loss Michigan team to "win" the MNC in 1984.....so the Cougars did what only 5 other teams did that year: they beat Michigan. Barely.
Clearly, the most undeserving team to ever win a national championship.

They also beat #3 Pitt. They were also the only team to be undefeated.

Not that they were so deserving, but it wasn't like they just had their name drawn out of a hat.

It could have gone to Washington, but they declined the holiday Bowl invite to play BYU. They thought, probably rightly so, that a better match-up would be against OU, even though OU was only 9-1-1.

BYU beat a 6-loss Michigan team to "win" the MNC in 1984.....so the Cougars did what only 5 other teams did that year: they beat Michigan. Barely.
Clearly, the most undeserving team to ever win a national championship.

No kidding. Michigan was 6th in conference play and the only conference worse than the Big Ten that year was the WAC. The Big Ten was 12-15 in non conference and 1-5 in bowl games that year. No way any team should win a natty without playing at least a top ten team in a bowl. Of course this is only my unsolicited opinion.

They also beat #3 Pitt. They were also the only team to be undefeated.

Not that they were so deserving, but it wasn't like they just had their name drawn out of a hat.

It could have gone to Washington, but they declined the holiday Bowl invite to play BYU. They thought, probably rightly so, that a better match-up would be against OU, even though OU was only 9-1-1.
Pittsburgh was 3-7-1 in 1984.

Hmmmmmm.....they were ranked #3 when BYU played them according to one site.

I’ll keep checking. Not doubting you....I just want to know why they listed at #3.

BYU played Pitt in the 1984 opener. Maybe Pitt was ranked 3rd at that time. They almost beat BYU, losing 20-14.

BYU winning it in '84 led to a bit of irony in '85 when OU won it. They were near unanimous in the coaches poll, with only one dissenting vote. That vote came from one Barry Switzer, who, clearly still irked by the previous year, voted for Fresno State. When they asked him why he did so, he said it was because they were the only undefeated team in the nation.

ADVERTISEMENT