ADVERTISEMENT

11-2, Big 12 title & major bowl win, not bad for 1-2 start?

dtrain87

Walk-on candidate
Oct 5, 2016
1-2 start KO's OU from the CFP early, but it's how you finish that counts. The 2017 class is top 5 with loads of 4 stars and the future looks bright as does the present, despite a bunch of injuries and youth in key positions. BOOMER!!!

Last edited:
I agree. I look for OU to play in the Sugar as B12 champs. I also anticipate another season ending loss, which regardless of another B12 trophy is going to leave a bad taste in the mouths of most Sooner fans. Bob needs to win another Sugar and stop the bleeding, or at the VERY least give our bowl opponent a competitive game. I am hoping for a big, big victory. SOONER!!!

I agree. I look for OU to play in the Sugar as B12 champs. I also anticipate another season ending loss, which regardless of another B12 trophy is going to leave a bad taste in the mouths of most Sooner fans. Bob needs to win another Sugar and stop the bleeding, or at the VERY least give our bowl opponent a competitive game. I am hoping for a big, big victory. SOONER!!!

That could be against Trevor Knight.
That guy had a pretty good game last time he was in New Orleans.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
That could be against Trevor Knight.
That guy had a pretty good game last time he was in New Orleans.

Yeah, I've thought about that. Actually, that would be a dream match up for the network and the city of New Orleans. I think most Sooner fans would enjoy that added element too.

Reactions: humblesooner
Yeah, I've thought about that. Actually, that would be a dream match up for the network and the city of New Orleans. I think most Sooner fans would enjoy that added element too.
I would bet that TK would get an ovation from the OU fans, if this matchup ends up happening.

Reactions: Oklabama
So..the OP is already banking on an 11-2 finish, winning the Big XII title, and winning a major bowl game on the 1st of November?? None of those are a guarantee at this point considering the defense OU trots out on the field every week.

I'll be the first to say it will be glorious if the season turns out that way. But really saying such things this early you better go find PLENTY of wood to knock on and get your jinx off this team saying such things so early.

Last edited:
Extremely optimistic prediction. Just don't think this team will be ready to face top sec or big10 teams in a bowl game. But agree Sooners have to be favorites to win watered down b12.

I posted it elsewhere, but I think we've averaged giving up 37+ points in each of our last 4 bowl games. We face a competent O in any bowl game, I don't see that trend changing.

Winning the Big XII this year is fool's gold. The conference gets mocked every time its brought up on TV this year.

But let's see how badly our D gets shredded by oSu, UWV and BU first, before we count on a conference trophy, shall we?

I posted it elsewhere, but I think we've averaged giving up 37+ points in each of our last 4 bowl games. We face a competent O in any bowl game, I don't see that trend changing.

Winning the Big XII this year is fool's gold. The conference gets mocked every time its brought up on TV this year.

But let's see how badly our D gets shredded by oSu, UWV and BU first, before we count on a conference trophy, shall we?

We're giving up 32+ points per game this year, including only a total of 20 points to the state of Kansas and 17 to ULM.
Throw those games out and we're giving up 44+ per game.
With the offense we have run for years, giving up 37 ppg is not necessarily a loss.
Over that same 4 year period, OU has averaged scoring 46, 39, 31, 38 Avg PPG, while scoring in the bowl games: 17, 6, 45, 13.
You can put as much blame on the offense as on the defense for our post-season failures.
While winning the B12 this year may be fool's gold, it is much better than NOT winning the B12 - a distinction that will be shared by 9 teams.
While our defense may or may not get shredded the last three games, that won't necessarily mean losses with the offense we are capable of putting on the field.
The Houston game and Ohio State games are history. Lots of mistakes made there.
But, you can either quit on the team and wait until next year, hoping for better results.
Or you can enjoy the rest of this year and pull for the Sooners to be the best team they can be.

Reactions: CTOkie and Oklabama
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT