ADVERTISEMENT

10 Thoughts about OU 55, Texas Tech 16

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
1. Jalen Hurts is looking less and less like a former Alabama quarterback, and more and more like an OU quarterback. Things he has been criticized for in his previous life, like deep ball deficiencies and tight window accuracy, are less and less valid.

2. It appears that Bridges might learn enough to help the defense, but we are an injury away from it creating a depth shortage at receiver. The rotation really tightened up yesterday. The top three "wides" of Lamb, Rambo and Haselwood is as elite as OU has ever had. And Calcatera / Stogner is very solid at TE/Slot. But we didn't seem to see much of Miller, Basquine or Mykel Jones, except when Basquine's tipped ball caused Hurts' first pick of the year.

3. I guess you heard. Tech's DL who cheap shotted KB, tweeted an apology. Except his apology seemed like it was written by a coach or staff member of Tech football or P.R. and was mostly an apology to his own team. Eddie Haskell would have been proud.

4. There are two remaining teams in the FBS who have not trailed in any 2019 game: Oklahoma and Wisconsin.

5. It's a little discouraging to me that this officiating crew is the one that had the CCG last season. They also had the top six bowl game.These guys ignored offensive holding on both teams all day long. Not sure Tech would have scored a touchdown without being allowed to tackle defenders. There were a half dozen blatant holds in front of officials that were not called, and at least two on OU that I saw. They also ignored at least three times when OU players had a very large white mouthpiece hanging down from a face mask, never put in, on a full play. When they pass on holding and easy to call mouth piece violations, the Sooners get used to habits that might get called down the road when it will really matter. Sermon did it in the red zone, when he was the pitch man on an option play. Thankfully, Hurts kept the ball.

6. It seems so different when OUr defense, who sucked on third and fourth down the last few years, allows one third-down conversion in 14 tries. Tech's futility had a little to do with it. They made Arizona look like an outstanding defense last week. They now have one quarterback who can run well, and throw a decent deep ball when protected, but overall as a passer very substandard, especially for Texas Tech. And the other quarterback seems unable to run or throw. But mostly, OUr front seven kicked their butts, except when their OL's were allowed to tackle db's in run support on the edge. Galloway and Perkins are difference makers. In the post game, multiple defenders mentioned the importance of red zone performance, and limiting the opponents drives to field goals, rather than touchdowns, followed by quotes like, "With OUr offense, you're not going to be us with field goals."

7. Obviously, even in the era of Twitter and the internet, Lincoln Riley can make a secret work out. We're still wondering what's wrong with Ealy and how long he'll be gone. Tyrese Robinson seemed to hold up pretty well at right tackle, but it could make us a little uneasy with a combination of he and Erik Swensen at the tackles. (shiver) It was good to see Brey Walker get his first start, though we kind of thought six months ago, that if they played side by side, that Walker would be the tackle and Robinson the guard. The latter played center in the spring, and now after settling in at guard , is now a tackle for a while. Also interesting to me, is that when we start substituting in the OLine with a good lead, that McIver is the first in, and Humphrey the first out. Makes you wonder if they aren't still nursing a little injury, after Creed sat out the spring, hurt.

8. How long before Jaden Davis gets to start a game? I did think Tre Brown played better yesterday. And both safeties were better. Pat Fields break up of the pass to T. J. Vasher in the end zone was one of the ten best plays of the day, maybe top five.

9. Rotating players on defense is great. But we were stifling Tech until the 2nd unit went in, and the Red Raiders marched down the field scored their only touchdown. But it's worth it to keep the first line guys fresher. They play better, and are likely less likely to be injured.

10. The last time OU held Tech under 20 points was 2010. If the Sooners can hold Kansas under 20 next week, it will be the first time that happened in four straight games since 2006.

Boomer!

You forgot to ad. Kerry Cooks Dbs, look a lot like the Sooners last year. I'm so glad, he's gone.

Watching, TT, bad tackling, lack of effort, busted coverages. We are light years ahead of last year

Curious to see Murray's stellar contributions unmentioned...

I think he might have only had like 2 solo tackles against tech... Maybe that's why it didn't make his list of 10??? I dunno, but that's the best guess I could make. He's looking like a true OU linebacker

Reactions: iasooner1
Curious to see Murray's stellar contributions unmentioned...

I think Murray is a terrific athlete that is still better suited to play OLB than MLB. He is better at Mike this year than he has been. I don't think he has the instincts of a great middle linebacker, because his experience there is pretty limited, prior to being at OU. He is still the best we have inside.

And I think OUr staff understands that edge talent. It is curious that when OU plays "Bear Defense," the creation of Buddy Ryan in the early 80's, that Murray doesn't play the Mike Singletary role. He plays the Wilbur Marshall role, lining up on the edge, and playing sic 'em. And I believe that is where he'll play in the NFL.

In that defense, which we use pretty much as a change up, Jalen Redmond could do a pretty valuable Richard Dent imitation.

Reactions: iasooner1
I think Murray had some bad coaching last year. He seems to be learning fast to get good positioning to make more solid tackling and physical impact. The defense is swarming so much better too. A work in progress and not defensive perfection quite yet. You can nearly compare us to LSU however. The season is young. Steps to better performance are being taken. Keep up the moxey !!

ADVERTISEMENT