ADVERTISEMENT

10 Immediate Post-game Thoughts: Kansas State

Joe_DuVall

Sooner starter
Staff
Sep 3, 2015
I mentioned it in my Matchup Breakdown, but it was imperative for Oklahoma to start the game fast and force Kansas State to feel like they needed to put the ball in the air to keep up. Lincoln Riley, Baker Mayfield, and the Sooners offense did just that. It had been awhile since a Sooner quarterback has gotten out to such a fast start. The last time an OU quarterback threw for 2 touchdowns in the first quarter? Landry Jones vs Texas Tech in 2010. Mayfield would finish the first half with 5 touchdown passes in a half to match Jason White's school-record for touchdown passes in a half set in the immortal 77-0 shellacking of Texas A&M in 2003. Oklahoma also gained more yards in the first half versus Kansas State than they had in the entire game against Texas.

Getting Baker Mayfield on the edge with quick reads that allow him to get rid of the ball early to his playmakers was a winning recipe for the Oklahoma offense. Ironically, that’s a major tenet of the air raid philosophy. I’m not sure why it took so long to get to this point.

Steven Parker
has been terrific and Zack Sanchez showcased again that he is a playmaker, but I’m just a huge, huge, fan of Jordan Thomas’ game. To me, he’s the best player in that secondary. The game comes so naturally to him. His athleticism and awareness almost makes what he does look effortless. Watch Thomas with the ball in the air when compared to other corners, it’s a thing of beauty.

I said it on Twitter, but Bill Snyder will be giving Sterling Shepard an amazing graduation present. In four career games vs the Wildcats, Shepard recorded 26 receptions, 363 yards, and 5 touchdowns.

I still don’t understand Oklahoma’s offensive strategy when the defense is bringing more guys than they have in to protect. Baker Mayfield will carry out fakes and receivers still have their heads down running routes as the pressure arrives. To me, you have to be able to know in those situations that you have a hot read at receiver who snaps his head around.

I criticized Lincoln Riley for not finding ways to get the ball into his playmakers hands against Texas, but the first four touchdowns for Oklahoma to start the game?

Sterling Shepard
Joe Mixon
Sterling Shepard
Mark Andrews

This offense is at its best when its best weapons are getting the ball.

The defensive line started to show signs that they could be an eventual strength for this Sooners defense. Charles Walker and Jordan Wade dominated at times today and I thought D.J. Ward continued to show progress. Marquise Overton not only didn’t look out of place as a true freshman, he was a huge load that the Kansas State offensive line struggled to keep out of the backfield.

Orlando Brown
had the best day on the offensive line and he has an opportunity to be an area of hope on Oklahoma’s most despairing position unit. He did a great job holding up against the K-State pass rush and cleared the way out in front for a few screens on the edge. The 6-foot-8, 342-pound, redshirt freshman offensive tackle has a very bright future.

This is not me pumping sunshine, it is just the reality of the situation, but the only thing that changed after last week’s loss was the perception of Oklahoma. All of their goals are still under their own power if they win out. A loss to Baylor, TCU, or OSU down the stretch likely knocked the Sooners out of the Big 12/Playoff hunt anyway. Now, the Texas game DID still happen and expectations should be adjusted accordingly. Just pointing out that the Sooners do still have a lot to play for.

Perhaps we shouldn’t have been surprised that a Bob Stoops coached team came out and played inspired, passionate football with their backs against the wall. It’s something he has repeatedly done during his tenure at Oklahoma, including multiple occasions in Manhattan. Now, it’s time to see how they react to everybody patting them on the back again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.