ADVERTISEMENT

ZERO Pro-style offenses in Big XII

dtrain87

Walk-on candidate
Oct 5, 2016
Why is that? The B1G has Michigan, MSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, NU all head banging to 17-14 games. The PAC 12 only has UCLA and Stanford, while the southern powers are all pro-styles, save for Auburn and Clemson. Alabama has been running a pro-spread with Hurts this year, but other than MSU, Aggsys and Ole Miss, UK and UT they rest are pro styles, oh and Mizzou. Here in Texas most HS programs are spread, no FBs or TEs, maybe a H-back, but usually 4 wides. A few teams run under center offenses, like the slot-t, but that is down south mostly and a few power programs still run the pro-style I, like Mansfield, Trinity and Katy, Klein Collins, but they can be counted on one hand.

I remember having to listen to that game on a radio.
I do too. I also remember it was October 15, 1988 in Norman against K-State when they broke that record... My dad and I attended that game. A walk on hb from Chicago, Joe Moody, took an option pitch to break the record... :D

I remember having to listen to that game on a radio.

Ditto. In 1980, I did not have cable TV, so had to listen on the radio. Was listening on a friend's car radio while we were throwing the football around the parking lot of his apartment complex. Ran into a fire hydrant and hyper-extended my knee. Took about a month before it felt better.

Cool story. I know.....

I'm confused; Coach Chuck was long gone before 1980

Chuck went to the NFL in February of 1973 and Barry replaced him. There were a lot of things that led to his departure from New England after six years. His best season was the fourth, when New England was close to the best team in the NFL. The Patriots were 11-3 and gave the Super Bowl winning Raiders their only loss of the season. Then they had the Raiders beat in Oakland in the playoffs, before Ben Dreith made a horrible call against OU's Ray Hamilton when the Patriots had stopped them on fourth down late, and would have run out the clock. But Dreith's roughing the passer penalty, renewed the Raiders' final drive. They scored in the last ten seconds to win 24-21.

But back then, the Sullivan family owned the Patriots, and they were extremely tight in paying salaries. His best players wanted to leave. Darryl Stingley had his neck broken in a pre season game by Jack Tatum. Chuck made a deal to take the Colorado job in Boulder, secretly, before the Pats' season was over. His first year was 1979. It was a highly unsuccessful three season of only seven total wins, which included this game.

And many Buff fans were unhappy, and the university was even more so, after Chuck spent 75 grand remodeling his office, in a time when faculty salaries were being cut. It was a mutual parting of ways after the 1981 season. He did coach in the Donald Trump brain child, USFL, but that lasted one season for the New Jersey Generals. After that, he went into private business, and had a big role in the development of PGA West, the elite golf course, I think close to Palm Springs.

Reactions: iasooner1
Then they had the Raiders beat in Oakland in the playoffs, before Ben Dreith made a horrible call against OU's Ray Hamilton when the Patriots had stopped them on fourth down late, and would have run out the clock. But Dreith's roughing the passer penalty, renewed the Raiders' final drive. They scored in the last ten seconds to win 24-21.
It was on third down. It was roughing the passer. Get over it...

A different angle from a local camera showed that Hamilton didn't touch Stabler's head. Stabler admitted 25 years later that it wasn't roughing the passer. Hamilton actually got up under Stabler's throwing arm which blocked him from the QB's head.

Dreith was an original official in the AFL and work all ten years of that league's existance, and then for 21 more years in the NFL. At 91, he is still alive and kicking. He was a three sport athlete at Northern Colorado, who working NFL games as a referee, until 1990 when he was 65.

His last year, they took the white hat away from him, and he spent his last season as a line judge, after the league wanted to move him to the replay booth. He refused. On year after the move, he was fired, and then sued the league for age discrimination. He won $165,000 plus court costs and lawyer fees.

If New England fans had any say, he'd have retired after the 1976 season.

Fairbanks went to work for my friend Jerry Barton at Landmark. At one time Landmark was the premier golf course developer in the country. Pete Dye did all their design work

Reactions: iasooner1
A different angle from a local camera showed that Hamilton didn't touch Stabler's head. Stabler admitted 25 years later that it wasn't roughing the passer. Hamilton actually got up under Stabler's throwing arm which blocked him from the QB's head.

Dreith was an original official in the AFL and work all ten years of that league's existance, and then for 21 more years in the NFL. At 91, he is still alive and kicking. He was a three sport athlete at Northern Colorado, who working NFL games as a referee, until 1990 when he was 65.

His last year, they took the white hat away from him, and he spent his last season as a line judge, after the league wanted to move him to the replay booth. He refused. On year after the move, he was fired, and then sued the league for age discrimination. He won $165,000 plus court costs and lawyer fees.

If New England fans had any say, he'd have retired after the 1976 season.
Hmmm... So this video at about the 15:55 to 16:00 mark is false? Where is the video or press release of Stabler saying this?

You are straightlined in that angle. You need an angle where you can see between the hand and the head. It looks to me like his body is turned and his head turns. And he hit Stabler's arm first, anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT