ADVERTISEMENT

Yogi Berra dead at 90....

Growing up in the '50's, Yogi and Mickey Mantle were my childhood heroes. For me, there will never be another major league baseball team as great as the 1953 - 1964 Yankees had. Win or lose, they were THE team, comprised of so many great players and characters. Yogi was the chief character and a great baseball player. Elston Howard, who took Yogi's position behind home plate was a great catcher, but it just wasn't the same for me without Yogi calling the game for Whitey Ford and the other pitchers. He looked so out of place in the outfield yet did a good job and still knocked in a lot runs playing out there. Many years after Yogi had retired from playing, I read where the move to the outfield extended his playing days, so it was a the best decision for Yogi and all the fans that loved him. RIP, Yogi Berra. You were one of the greatest of all time.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Growing up in the '50's, Yogi and Mickey Mantle were my childhood heroes. For me, there will never be another major league baseball team as great as the 1953 - 1964 Yankees had. Win or lose, they were THE team, comprised of so many great players and characters. Yogi was the chief character and a great baseball player. Elston Howard, who took Yogi's position behind home plate was a great catcher, but it just wasn't the same for me without Yogi calling the game for Whitey Ford and the other pitchers. He looked so out of place in the outfield yet did a good job and still knocked in a lot runs playing out there. Many years after Yogi had retired from playing, I read where the move to the outfield extended his playing days, so it was a the best decision for Yogi and all the fans that loved him. RIP, Yogi Berra. You were one of the greatest of all time.
Same here, Oklabama.
I would add that Berra was a good manager with the Yankees and Mets. As a player, his clutch performances in World Series play were incredible.
BTW, I like your Joe Don Looney quote.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
He may be the most beloved Yankees player of all time and he really transcended baseball.

CT, after visiting several blog sites today, both political and sports, I think he might have been the most beloved player of his generation and not all of them are from New York. It's amazing what people are saying about the guy. I was never a Yankee fan. I was a Yogi fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT