ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another Sooner football commitment

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
Mykel Patterson-McDonald committed to OU Monday. He's a secondary guy who might make a pretty good nickel defender. Some sites list him as 3 star, some as 4. He's an in-state Oklahoma player from West Moore in the 2024 class. I think he's our 15th or 16th recruit in this class, and ironically, I think most sites have us ranked 15 or 16.

I know the staff really liked him, and likes bringing the best instate guys.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I haven't been this satisfied with OU recruiting recently, but Venables and his staff have been an incredible story as OU is really expanding its base and getting more 4-5 star players while holding its own with the elite teams.
OU's entry into the SEC next year has been a boom in recruiting, which it has to be.
More to come this month.

Mykel Patterson-McDonald committed to OU Monday. He's a secondary guy who might make a pretty good nickel defender. Some sites list him as 3 star, some as 4. He's an in-state Oklahoma player from West Moore in the 2024 class. I think he's our 15th or 16th recruit in this class, and ironically, I think most sites have us ranked 15 or 16.

I know the staff really liked him, and likes bringing the best instate guys.
I believe he's good friends with David Stone (5-star DT, IMG Academy). Getting Stone to come with him would be great. Stone is rated in the top handful of DTs in the nation.

I believe he makes a 17th commit and we are now in the top 8 by most recruiting services.

One thing I have noticed with the previous cycle and 2024 is that even if we don't land a particular guy, OU made the top 5 for numerous big time recruits whereas before we were not really in the running.

I believe he makes a 17th commit and we are now in the top 8 by most recruiting services.

One thing I have noticed with the previous cycle and 2024 is that even if we don't land a particular guy, OU made the top 5 for numerous big time recruits whereas before we were not really in the running.
Actually, I looked at ON3, OUInsider and 247, and we're not in the top ten of any of them. We're right about 15 across the board. At least so far.

I think you may be looking at last year's ranking.

Actually, I looked at ON3, OUInsider and 247, and we're not in the top ten of any of them. We're right about 15 across the board. At least so far.

I think you may be looking at last year's ranking.

That's odd but after Tatum and Brooks commits I checked myself and I swear I saw #8 on 247. I did check after I replied earlier and saw #15.

We are ranked 13, 15 and 16 on Rivals, 247 and On3. There is nothing to indicated we'd be average rank 8. Those three are the biggies I know of unless you're counting the worthless ESPN rankings. Those other three overage rank is 14.67

On Rivals, we are currently #10 by AVG STARS. We were #8 last week.
If Rivals were to consider Tatum a 5* recruit, our AVG STARS would increase to 3.75, and that would put us at #6 for that measure.

For the Rivals scoring system, teams are rewarded points for quantity of recruits. We have 18 recruits. Teams like Michigan jump us in scoring, because they have 27 recruits. Their average star ranking is lower than ours, however.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT