ADVERTISEMENT

Yes the defense especially safeties had a bad game but 2 Defensive plays for OU TDs spectacular

bullmarket

Sooner signee
May 29, 2001
and massively helped us to win.

11-1 and still in the hunt.. Kyler Murray was fantastic especially key plays at key times in the game.
I'll never forget on our last possession 4th down & 5 on the 40 yard line Lincoln Riley did not punt but he had faith in Kyler and Kyler made the great throw to Lamb for the 1st down.

Finally, a win that didn't feel like a loss! This defensive effort felt like the one against Georgia last year. Except for some major big plays against the defense, I thought they played really well the rest of the time. Two big turnovers that resulted in TDs, a dropped INT, some really iffy penalties that kept WV alive, and A LOT of really great defensive plays by the DBs and DL late in the game. To me, the problem on defense was the play of the safeties, wow, just wow. However, I really loved and was SHOCKED when I actually saw a safety helping out a corner on that deep pass late in the game. What? When was the last time we saw two defenders play the ball in the air? LOVED IT!

As bad as the safeties played last night, I'm 100% convinced RM is to blame for most of our issues. If OU can bring in a top-notch DC, I fully expect OU to have a really good defense next season with our current talent.

This game should not have been as close as it was. OU left a lot of points on the field. KM's fumble and INT in the end zone cost us points. When we were up by two scores a couple of times, especially late in the game, we shot ourselves in the foot. We should have been up by 3 scores each time, but the most glaring time to put the game away was when OU stopped WV late in the game on 4th down but saved them with a penalty, and then stopped them again but dropped an INT, only to allow them to score a TD, making the game a 3 point difference.

All-in-all, very happy with this win. Hopefully, we can see the mistakes we made and correct them before playing Texas and hopefully OU comes out FOCUSED and DETERMINED to beat the CHIT out of Texas!

Two freshmen and one sophomore got burnt. They’re young guys once they learn they will be really good. I like Barnes and Turner Yell despite those two huge plays they gave up. Bookie still needs to show me more though.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Barnes is pretty solid, he just needs some time. I think he has what it takes to play D1.
Yell is alright,
Bookie is horrible at safety and yesterday look horrible, at CB
Norwood played a better game. Motley and Brown will be a solid DB's
Murray is stiff as a board
Kelley still gets out of position and he had zero help on go routes, "safeties"
I really want to see a 4 man front, with 4 TRUE dlineman. Until we go to a 4 man front, no highly recruited DT, NG will give OU a real look if getting pressure is not a priority.
I think we lose 3-5 guys with a new defensive staff. I doubt they will let any of the crap playout. We need a true attitude adjustment. A guy dropping a pass without any help from a DB is NOT a cause for celebration.

Reactions: JoeOU1
Finally, a win that didn't feel like a loss! This defensive effort felt like the one against Georgia last year. Except for some major big plays against the defense, I thought they played really well the rest of the time. Two big turnovers that resulted in TDs, a dropped INT, some really iffy penalties that kept WV alive, and A LOT of really great defensive plays by the DBs and DL late in the game. To me, the problem on defense was the play of the safeties, wow, just wow. However, I really loved and was SHOCKED when I actually saw a safety helping out a corner on that deep pass late in the game. What? When was the last time we saw two defenders play the ball in the air? LOVED IT!

As bad as the safeties played last night, I'm 100% convinced RM is to blame for most of our issues. If OU can bring in a top-notch DC, I fully expect OU to have a really good defense next season with our current talent.

This game should not have been as close as it was. OU left a lot of points on the field. KM's fumble and INT in the end zone cost us points. When we were up by two scores a couple of times, especially late in the game, we shot ourselves in the foot. We should have been up by 3 scores each time, but the most glaring time to put the game away was when OU stopped WV late in the game on 4th down but saved them with a penalty, and then stopped them again but dropped an INT, only to allow them to score a TD, making the game a 3 point difference.

All-in-all, very happy with this win. Hopefully, we can see the mistakes we made and correct them before playing Texas and hopefully OU comes out FOCUSED and DETERMINED to beat the CHIT out of Texas!

A great post! Very well said. I saw the game just like you did.

Reactions: CalSooner
I just got the long version of the game on Youtube. Call me crazy but I saw an improvement in our defense from Kansas week. Especially run D. Our DBs are young and seem to lack technique on covering sprint out plays. They were playing closer to the line. Consideration musty be given to Grier and his receivers. These are good as we have seen this year and in their yard. We will beat texass by 10 plus.

The Big XII's talent at receiver this year is ridiculous.

Lamb and Hollywood.
Humphrey and Collins.
Sills and Jennings.
Mims and Hurd.
Wesley and Vasher.
Butler.
Johnson and Stoner.
Reagor.

I thought the Defense played better also.

As I recall, didn't N. Gallimore miss the Kansas Game? I think he can make a difference in stopping the run game.

The secondary still has a long way to do.

BUT YES, I thought they played better as a whole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT