ADVERTISEMENT

Yankees Chapman...ZOOM!

I'm not a rabid MLB guy but this caught my attention.
Aroldis Chapman, Yankee closer, threw a ball last night a sick 105 MPH against Hardy of the Orioles.
They call him 'The Cuban Missile'.
Now I get it.:eek:
Chapman will be traded by August 1st in all likelihood.
The Yankees are a train wreck now and must rebuild, and I mean tear down and build up. The only two players I would deem untouchable are SS Gregorious and reliever Betances.
However, I do not believe ownership will allow for a successful rebuilding effort even though the team has good trade chips above and beyond Miller and Chapman. The Cubs, Nationals and Rangers are scouting the Yankees now. Several teams are looking at Beltran. Pitchers Pineda and Eovaldi are also being pursued.
The Yankees are not very good and not fun to watch. GM Cashman is handcuffed by ownership. Most fans of this team want to rebuild...NOW.

Aroldis Chapman, Yankee closer, threw a ball last night a sick 105 MPH against Hardy of the Orioles.
Yeah, he came over from the Reds (ugghh...one more reason to get rid of the Reds management!!!), and he had thrown 105 for them. His main problem has historically been accuracy, but at 105 mph I'm not sure how spot on you have to be.

Chapman will be traded by August 1st in all likelihood.
The Yankees are a train wreck now and must rebuild, and I mean tear down and build up. The only two players I would deem untouchable are SS Gregorious and reliever Betances.
However, I do not believe ownership will allow for a successful rebuilding effort even though the team has good trade chips above and beyond Miller and Chapman. The Cubs, Nationals and Rangers are scouting the Yankees now. Several teams are looking at Beltran. Pitchers Pineda and Eovaldi are also being pursued.
The Yankees are not very good and not fun to watch. GM Cashman is handcuffed by ownership. Most fans of this team want to rebuild...NOW.

Is there any specific reason you can attribute their recent follies to?
Do you feel it's all a result of George Steinbrenner's death? Was he that good?

Yeah, he came over from the Reds (ugghh...one more reason to get rid of the Reds management!!!), and he had thrown 105 for them. His main problem has historically been accuracy, but at 105 mph I'm not sure how spot on you have to be.
Oh yeah, the pitch I referred to wasn't a strike.
It almost hit Hardys ankle in fact.
I don't know, reminded me of Dennis Eckersley, who could hurl it 100+ sidearm.
Clearly Dennis was more accurate, fun to watch.

Nolan Ryan was the one who could throw hard, fast & while spotting the accuracy. When he learned to deliver his change up, it extended his pitching career another 8 yrs.

Nolan Ryan was the one who could throw hard, fast & while spotting the accuracy. When he learned to deliver his change up, it extended his pitching career another 8 yrs.
Ryan was one of my favs.
Didn't he throw his last no hitter at 45 years old?
He, like a lot of pitchers didn't light it up batting.
Remember his moniker...'The seldom of swat'.

Reactions: CTOkie
Is there any specific reason you can attribute their recent follies to?
Do you feel it's all a result of George Steinbrenner's death? Was he that good?
I believe Steinbrenner was somewhat overrated. It was during his 3 year suspension, 1990-93, that the team's brain trust (Gene Michael and Bob Watson), acting without Steinbrenner's meddling, drafted and developed Bernie Williams, Leyritz, Rivera, Jeter, Pettitte and Posada....then in 1992 made a great trade in getting Paul O'Neill from the Reds...and made other good trades and free agent acquisitions. Steinbrenner wanted to trade Rivera and Williams when they were farmhands.
The demise of this team is due to the fact that the team hung its hat on long term salaries and players that either got old, or injured, or both.....and due to the instant gratification of having to have an All Star at each position and letting the farm system decline. They panicked when Cano went to Seattle and immediately signed Ellsbury, McCann and Beltran to ridiculous contracts. The signings of Teixiera, Sabathia and A.J. Burnett after the 2008 season netted a championship in 2009, but since 2012, Sabathia and Teixiera have been in decline and Burnett's only decent year was his first in 2009. And Jeter and Posada played at least one year too long.
Meanwhile, A-Rod's contract has also shackled the team and his time has long since past. I blame the Yankees for extending his contract after the 2007 season. With one year left on his contract (through 2017), I fully expect the team to release him after this season....maybe even by August. He can't run, can't play defense and his light hitting and an occasional home run do not justify a roster spot. The Yankees are probably wanting him to hit 700 homers as a Yankee. I say let him hit #700 somewhere else.
The Red Sox purged 260 million dollars of payroll in 2012 and won the championship in 2013. The Yankees need to try to do the same.
Chapman, Miller, Beltran, Headley, McCann, Gardner, Pineda, Eovaldi and even Sabathia are all being considered by other teams from the various sources I have read.

Last edited:
Reactions: JConXtsy
Ryan was one of my favs.
Didn't he throw his last no hitter at 45 years old?
He, like a lot of pitchers didn't light it up batting.
Remember his moniker...'The seldom of swat'.
I wish Ryan had pitched on better teams. Imagine if he had pitched for the Big Red Machine or some of the Pirates, Yankees, Braves, Cardinals and A's teams ?...just to name a few.

I wish Ryan had pitched on better teams. Imagine if he had pitched for the Big Red Machine or some of the Pirates, Yankees, Braves, Cardinals and A's teams ?...just to name a few.
It should be worth noting, that Ryan was able on two different occasions to chose whatver team he wanted. He slected Houston his home town and became the first 1 million dollar baseball player and then later wanted to stay in Texas and selected the Rangers. Both moves have served him well after his baseball playing days were over. He's like a folk legend down here and has done very well for himself. Hell he even has his own Beef company.

It should be worth noting, that Ryan was able on two different occasions to chose whatver team he wanted. He slected Houston his home town and became the first 1 million dollar baseball player and then later wanted to stay in Texas and selected the Rangers. Both moves have served him well after his baseball playing days were over. He's like a folk legend down here and has done very well for himself. Hell he even has his own Beef company.
True. I just believe his number of wins would have increased with better teams.

I like anyone who beats up a cocky aggie.

Edit: I guess I should have added the video for fun... Still wonder what fighting style Ventura was going for here - maybe the "stick my head out and let it get punched" one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soonersincefitty

He was a REDS player for a few seasons... You aren't a MLB guy for sure, no offense though.

I like anyone who beats up a cocky aggie.

Edit: I guess I should have added the video for fun... Still wonder what fighting style Ventura was going for here - maybe the "stick my head out and let it get punched" one.

The caption on that video is a little mis-leading.
Ryan duked it out. Ventura, not so much.
That's one of the greatest clips of all time. RV was pissed and wanted to get a piece of Ryan.
Wonder if he still has the piece he got?

The caption on that video is a little mis-leading.
Ryan duked it out. Ventura, not so much.
That's one of the greatest clips of all time. RV was pissed and wanted to get a piece of Ryan.
Wonder if he still has the piece he got?
Ventura got 5 "hits" off Ryan in a matter of seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT