ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, I just watched the Bob Stoops replay show.......

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
Baker Mayfield was dead on accurate. Most of his passes were right in the numbers. I think the receivers dropped 3 or 4, but that wasn't Baker's fault. I was extremely impressed seeing him on game film. I know these shows don't show the bad.

Couple of other thoughts, Charles Walker is a beast at DT. The offensive line did have a wider split than last year, but not as large as the Mike Leach years.

The passing game opened up the running game somewhat in the 2nd and third quarters, instead of what we saw last year. We still only rushed for 100 yards total for the game.

I hope Akron wins the MAC, as that would help our chances at the final four vote if we take care of business.

Also, the Zip defense was gassed in the 2nd half.

Well why wouldn't they be? We had like ten different people catch passes. Five different running backs making plays. I saw some major substitution on both the DL and OL. Flowers played more than I thought.

I wonder if TCU and Baylor has our depth? I'm sure Texas doesn't. This could be a major factor this year.............

Some good things, some things this team needs to work on. In the end, it was Akron. But a nice building block for the team. Next week is gonna be a pretty stiff test. One good thing is Tenn's secondary seemed a bit weak against passing. So OU has that working for them, as long as Baker can get time to throw facing Tenn's DL. OU's OL needs to grow up fast.

I watched the game and then again early yesterday morning. In the beginning, the Zip DL had a lot of success stopping the run and hurrying Baker. I noticed a couple of Zips pumping it up after plays showing their confidence. Not good when you give your opponent confidence. It took time, but eventually our big guys worn them down and that's when the offense really began ticking. We have all seen it before. Our big uglies keep leaning on lesser talented, smaller players and suddenly "bingo" holes open up and the QB has time to find the receivers. As 22 posted, the Zip defensive secondary was gassed. Big OU advantage to have so many talented receivers to sprint up and down the field. I really think this may be a key advantage we will have over Tennessee Saturday. But the Vols' DL will be much better than Akron's so a major must is for the Sooner OL to come out ready to play early. Waiting until the end of the 2nd quarter to get it going will most likely be too late.

Big OU advantage to have so many talented receivers to sprint up and down the field. I really think this may be a key advantage we will have over Tennessee Saturday. But the Vols' DL will be much better than Akron's so a major must is for the Sooner OL to come out ready to play early. Waiting until the end of the 2nd quarter to get it going will most likely be too late.

I really agree with this post. It favors OU to spread the field as much as possible in this game. Even if the Vols bring consistent pressure, if Mayfield can connect junk 3 and 4 yd passes and spread it around they too will get gassed. The Vols don't have a lot of confidence in their secondary, and if Mayfield can dance around a little and keep upright, we can overcome a matchup weakness on the lines.

I really agree with this post. It favors OU to spread the field as much as possible in this game. Even if the Vols bring consistent pressure, if Mayfield can connect junk 3 and 4 yd passes and spread it around they too will get gassed. The Vols don't have a lot of confidence in their secondary, and if Mayfield can dance around a little and keep upright, we can overcome a matchup weakness on the lines.
Then pound the running game with Perine. I really feel confident that we will beat them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT