ADVERTISEMENT

Would Lincoln jump ship to NFL

I’m sure this is a very good possibility. I’d like to to think Lincoln would tend to follow Bob Stoops’ lead rather than Jimmy Johnson’s. But who really knows what Lincoln wants long term.

Reactions: iasooner1
I don't see any NFL owner giving Riley a head coaching gig for at least several more years. I guess it could happen, but I just think it's unlikely for a while. Riley is only 1.5 years into his head coaching career. Riley has zero NFL ties or experience. I could see him getting an OC position in the NFL, but why would he leave the top spot at OU to be a coordinator?? For an NFL head coaching spot he needs a few more years to build his resume and experience.

Seems those that are stepping out on limbs are reaping the success. Yeah, McVay was a coordinator, but his HC hiring was unprecedented. The Rams are enjoying it. Things are changing.

Reactions: iasooner1
Seems those that are stepping out on limbs are reaping the success. Yeah, McVay was a coordinator, but his HC hiring was unprecedented. The Rams are enjoying it. Things are changing.
McVay had bounced around numerous positions in the NFL for close to 10 years before snagging his current spot. Couple of stints under John Gruden and Shanahan I'm sure helped a lot. Riley doesn't have close to that kind of resume.

Riley needs more time coaching in college football before he's ready.

I agree but right now he is a very hot commodity and speculation is the Browns are very interested in him and would be willing to take the risk. I think in the end the question is does Riley think he is ready for that challenge.

I would hope that if that offer comes he really uses his head to weigh everything out because if he did go and fails he may never get another shot at a guiding a big time program like OU.

I agree but right now he is a very hot commodity and speculation is the Browns are very interested in him and would be willing to take the risk. I think in the end the question is does Riley think he is ready for that challenge.

I would hope that if that offer comes he really uses his head to weigh everything out because if he did go and fails he may never get another shot at a guiding a big time program like OU.

It's risky, but Nick Saban was able to make the leap back and forth. Of course, he had a natty under his belt before he jumped, so it was probably pretty easy to return.

I don't see any NFL owner giving Riley a head coaching gig for at least several more years. I guess it could happen, but I just think it's unlikely for a while. Riley is only 1.5 years into his head coaching career. Riley has zero NFL ties or experience. I could see him getting an OC position in the NFL, but why would he leave the top spot at OU to be a coordinator?? For an NFL head coaching spot he needs a few more years to build his resume and experience.

Money. OU will have to pony up to keep him.

Reactions: BillyRay
I think he wants to turn OU into a dynasty and go down as one of the all time great coaches at OU.
I disagree. Riley is a human being and human beings often take the best opportunities for themselves and their family when the moment comes. I would be surprised if he is at OU longer than five years.

I disagree. Riley is a human being and human beings often take the best opportunities for themselves and their family when the moment comes. I would be surprised if he is at OU longer than five years.

I am not sure he will be here for 5 years. In that time period he may see his stock go down if for some reason his offenses temper down in those years.

If he does have NFL dreams one couldnt blame him to jump while his stock was this high. In 5 years from now he may not even be getting offers. I just hope he takes the time to talk to other coaches who made that jump and are now back at the college level.

All I’ll say is that Bob Stoops knew he had a good thing going at OU, and I believe that Lincoln Riley views it as the same thing.
Norman is a good place to raise a family and I see him sticking around for a long time.
Besides, how many times was Bob offered a chance to jump ship, yet stayed?
These guys are already making good money and have WAY more control over their teams than they would in the NFL.
Also, I don’t see the NFL as quite as appealing of a place to be as it used to be. And college coaches are making more and more every year.

I agree with your post, but I must say, seeing your sig having Plaino quotes is a bit ridiculous. I've only been on here on my phone for the last few years so haven't seen sigs and what not. Over the top IMO. Some may even say, "rent free".

As young as he is, I would think he could easily tryout the NFL and if it doesn't workout, he could come back to College. He most likely wouldn't get a Blue Blood, unless the timing was right. but he would be on everyone looking short list.

Lincoln will stay at OU for many years. He has been dealt a very good hand at a very young age and I think he understands this. The incentives will be put in place to insure his mind doesn't wonder. I heard Switzer say something along the lines of a college coach has to deal with youthful exuberance, stupidity and parents and a pro coach has to deal with egos, instant wealth syndrome, agents and players unions. Advantage: University

Several of you assume a lot...... and don’t understand that as long as Riley is comfortable he is staying at OU…He doesn’t want to move his family to a big NFL city in a different part of the nation.

Long term it’s far less risky to make millions year after year and have control over the team. OU will be giving him nice pay increases and he knows it.

Unlike the people on our radio Riley is an extremely intelligent man and is not nearly as driven by money like Stoops was…

Some of you also severely underappreciate how desired the head football coaching job at OU really is among football coaches

"but I'm never gonna be a guy that's gonna stand up here and say no way, no how will any of these things ever happen. I don't know that. But I know right now I could care less about the NFL."

But he said he COULD care less. That means he cares. We just don't know the level of care.
I wish he would have said he COULDN'T care less, so we would all be assured that he has zero care. :D

Reactions: veritas59
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT