ADVERTISEMENT

Would Bob Stoops still be our HC today if he hadn't won #7?

BawlzDeep

OU scholarship offer
Dec 16, 2013
No, Stoops wouldn't hire his replacement. JC would make the hire before Stoops took the AD role. :)

I don't think he would take an assistant AD. But, he could be made into an Ambassador for the Athletic Department and deal strictly with PR with the donors. He could also do what he already does, attend and support other athletic programs at OU.

When I saw Meyer at Utah, I wanted him. Now, the closest thing that I have seen to that kind of execution in someone we might have a shot at it---Justin Fuentes.

No, Stoops wouldn't hire his replacement. JC would make the hire before Stoops took the AD role. :)

Fair question I guess. But what if's just doesn't work for me. I mean what if Demarco & Gresham played in the Title game against Florida? What if's... It just doesn't do much for me.

He might be even more appreciated.

The only NC between the '75 group and his NC, was more than a small fluke. Those guys got hammered by Miami in Norman, but still won a natty. Imagine the fallout for Switzer if we'd had the internet, and the kinds of fair weather fans we have now after that pasting. But he got lucky. Miami already had a loss, and then they got smoked in their bowl game by UTenn. But that was a loaded Hurricanes team. And Barry couldn't come close to beating them in three tries. The closest game was six points, because we tricked them with a fumble rooskie to make it close at the end.

If Bob hadn't won the NC, the consensus would be that the dynamics of things are different. The bitchin and moanin we hear around here after every loss are mostly about expectations, that Bob created. Do you remember the 90s? Bob changed that, when it looked like it would never happen again. Those expectations would be different if he'd only made us relevant.

They dynamic is way way different than it used to be. Barry won three national titles.

The first one, he had an undefeated team that didn't have to even play in a bowl game, much less against the number two team

The second one, he lost in November to a mediocre team, and got bailed out by Joe Washington in Columbia the next week. Then he got to play the second place team from the Big Ten in the Orange Bowl, while the team he was ranked behind got beat. and that was inheriting the best collection of athletes ever at OU, from a different head coach.

The third, he got creamed by the best team in the country, but lucked out when they got smoked in another bowl game. If it had been a Miami rematch, what do you think would have happened? I love Barry for a lot of things. But he isn't any better coach than Bob. In my view, he wasn't as good a coach. He never had to face the gauntlet that 21st century teams have to face.

Barry said it many times. All he had to do was beat teams he was way better than, beat Texas and Nebraska, and then go play somebody for a chance at the NC And that didn't include any champion from the SEC, Big Ten or especially Pac Ten. We have two teams in OU history, that won an NC while winning a bowl game in an undefeated season. One of those was Bud's team in 1955. The other was Bob Stoops' team in 2000.

Barry could recruit marginal students who often didn't graduate. You're not allowed to do that any more. Barry made OU the team of the 70s, despite what Alabama claims. But his last dozen seasons weren't any better than Bob's. he just had an easier road.

Yes, I think Bob would still be the head ball coach for OU even if he had lost to Florida State. The guy has taken the Sooners to four national championship games. He is Oklahoma's Bud Grant who took the Vikings to four National Football Championship game without ever winning the trophy. Bob at least got one, but most likely it will be his only one for the Sooners. Still Stoops has a great coaching record especially during the BCS series. If you just look at his win-loss record there's no reason to think OU would replace him. You just have to ignore the melt downs. If you can.

They dynamic is way way different than it used to be. Barry won three national titles.

The first one, he had an undefeated team that didn't have to even play in a bowl game, much less against the number two team

The second one, he lost in November to a mediocre team, and got bailed out by Joe Washington in Columbia the next week. Then he got to play the second place team from the Big Ten in the Orange Bowl, while the team he was ranked behind got beat. and that was inheriting the best collection of athletes ever at OU, from a different head coach.

The third, he got creamed by the best team in the country, but lucked out when they got smoked in another bowl game. If it had been a Miami rematch, what do you think would have happened? I love Barry for a lot of things. But he isn't any better coach than Bob. In my view, he wasn't as good a coach. He never had to face the gauntlet that 21st century teams have to face.

Barry said it many times. All he had to do was beat teams he was way better than, beat Texas and Nebraska, and then go play somebody for a chance at the NC And that didn't include any champion from the SEC, Big Ten or especially Pac Ten. We have two teams in OU history, that won an NC while winning a bowl game in an undefeated season. One of those was Bud's team in 1955. The other was Bob Stoops' team in 2000.

Barry could recruit marginal students who often didn't graduate. You're not allowed to do that any more. Barry made OU the team of the 70s, despite what Alabama claims. But his last dozen seasons weren't any better than Bob's. he just had an easier road.
Nobody will deny that you need some "breaks" go your way during the season that helps get you to a national title. But to say one of Barry's titles was a fluke is nothing but pure disrespect towards Barry Switzer. It doesn't matter that Miami was possibly the best team in the country that year. They didn't take care of business on the field the rest of their season, and as such they lost the right to claim a title. Pure and simple.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
And Bob Stoops at OU without a national title may be slightly similar to Mark Richt and his time at Georgia. Richt averaged almost 10 wins a season in his 15 years there. He won a couple SEC conference titles, and a few more divisional titles. He went to bowls all 15 seasons. He was 2-1 in the few BCS Bowls he guided his teams to. He was 10-5 overall in bowl games. Out of 15 seasons, 7 times his teams finished in the final Top 10. But he never sniffed a national title. And as such, Georgia grew tired of just "settling" for 10 win seasons, and decided to go another direction on search for attaining a higher level for their football program.

Now Bob Stoops has many more conference titles than Richt. But they are 2 different conferences. No doubt, the last 10 years it's MUCH tougher to win the SEC than it is to win the Big XII.

A fluke? Plaino? Let's see if I can remember that fluke. We were driving quite effectively for the tying score against Miami with a QB that had caused us to change our offense, some kid named Aikman. He broke his leg. OK. So, we lose that game.

Then, we put in a true freshman QB and play the rest of the season, beating #3 Penn State in the Orange Bowl for the title (25-10). Indeed, other than Iowa State (14), no team scored as many as fourteen points against us the rest of the season.

Let's see. You lose your starting QB, a kid who ended up making All-Pro a few times, and have to replace him with a freshman and change back your offense. You beat the #3 team to clinch it. I'd say that is a pretty solid coaching job----not a fluke.

You also didn't care to mention that just prior to his assuming the head coaching job, his team was put on probation, and he lost the quarterback who was to be the superstar as a result. So, he installs a completely unknown sophomore QB along with a whole bunch of sophomores (12 starters) and proceeds to tie one game and win 28 games before he ever experiences a loss, playing in a conference that had just produced the #1, 2, and 3 teams in the nation a couple of years earlier. That's a coach who meets challenges and wins.

Then, there is Bob, who inherited a program that had won six titles in the previous 48 years. We were already winning at his level, except for a couple of years. Should have at least two titles by now.

A reporter once asked Switzer why they ran the pitch a hundred times in practice every day. He said because ninety-nine weren't enough. That is the difference between Bud, Barry, and Bob. Bob thinks ten is enough, and it shows in the team's performance.

All three of OU's greatest coaches had some lean years during their careers at OU Bud had 1959-61, Barry had 1981-83, Bob has had 2005, 2009 and 2014. Each received criticism during those lean years but I believe it motivated each coach to restore the program. Criticism from a fan base like OU has little to do with being "fair weather"....spoiled maybe....but not "fair weather". Being spoiled does not reflect being in denial of a flawed product on the field or on the sidelines.

All three of OU's greatest coaches had some lean years during their careers at OU Bud had 1959-61, Barry had 1981-83, Bob has had 2005, 2009 and 2014. Each received criticism during those lean years but I believe it motivated each coach to restore the program. Criticism from a fan base like OU has little to do with being "fair weather"....spoiled maybe....but not "fair weather". Being spoiled does not reflect being in denial of a flawed product on the field or on the sidelines.

AMEN. I don't get those that can't accept the fact that fans aren't aways looking through rose colored glasses and feel the need to criticize the head coach even when they love the guy. It's not a loyalty deal. It's expecting the best effort every damn game. Bob Stoops understands that's the way it is. If he didn't he would have taken all his millions and quit. He doesn't need the money anymore. So all you homers need to get a life.

When I see fans refer to other fans as being fair weathered fans it really makes me scratch my head. Are they "fair weathered fans" because there beliefs dont align with the ones posting opposite views?

Being passionate about the team you root for sometimes also carries critisism but it doesnt make that individual a fair weathered fan. At this point and especially after this past Saturday this team and the coaching staff deserves some concern and the critisism being talked about here.

If you ask me Sunshine Pumpers are the worst of the bunch. Talk about fans who live in a bubble!!

I wonder what Barry Switzer would say if you told him to his face that one of his national titles was just "more than a small fluke". Good grief man...the lengths you will go to defend and protect Bob Stoops......

I think that title was strictly luck and a product of the time. The AP poll has never been exactly science, it is a beauty contest and that is what earned Switzer and OU that NC. Same with Bud's 1950 NC. It was at a time in the history of college football when the AP last poll was taken following the end of the regular season and not after the Bowl games. Bud's 1950 team lost their bowl game to Kentucky in the Sugar Bowl. So, we can actually credit two of OU's seven NCs to the way things were done back in the day.

I think way to many fans just get way to wrapped up in the hurt of losing games and lose perspective. The answer to the question is absolutely a yes. Bob has done an incredible job at OU. Being a consistent winner is much more difficult in today's environment than at anytime in the past. There are very few coaches who have been close to being as consistent, over the long haul, as has Stoops.

As to what Barry might say about winning NC in today's environment is already on the record. On many, many occasions, Barry Switzer has publicly stated that it is much more difficult to win an NC with the BCS and now the Playoff than it was when he was coaching. So, we don't really have to guess what Switzer thinks on this issue.

I think Switzer was being humble and gracious, something you can be when you have proven yourself.

Bud and Barry won titles in competition with the best coaches of their respective eras, and they won more than their competitors. Bob hasn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT