ADVERTISEMENT

Will OU men's BB team...

how come baylor, TCU and Texas Tech and others are doing better and not facing the same issues like OU in basketball.? Doesn;t OU have a bigger brand and budget ?

Not to mention power Alabama is doing elite in both BB and FB of course.
The NIL mayhem excuse may not age well .

how come baylor, TCU and Texas Tech and others are doing better and not facing the same issues like OU in basketball.? Doesn;t OU have a bigger brand and budget ?

Not to mention power Alabama is doing elite in both BB and FB of course.
The NIL mayhem excuse may not age well .
Have you seen the crowds at Baylor, TCU and Tech? As well as Bama?

That's why we can create big create big recruits for Football and Softball. We don't fill up Lloyd Noble, unless the visiting team attacts them. LNC is less than half full unless the opponent brings a few and is worth watching. For football, we sell out every opponent, even directional Arkansas.

Reactions: Salt City Sooner
Have you seen the crowds at Baylor, TCU and Tech? As well as Bama?

That's why we can create big create big recruits for Football and Softball. We don't fill up Lloyd Noble, unless the visiting team attacts them. LNC is less than half full unless the opponent brings a few and is worth watching. For football, we sell out every opponent, even directional Arkansas.
Valid point about LNC indeed and the crowd . The AD should have addressed this earlier , probably before or during mid Lon Kruger tenure . The BB program has been overlooked for so long . LNC should have been refurbished or the field house , to keep things on campus and maybe added some entertainment around it . Nothing was done .

I don't think that's the point. OU hasn't supported basketball whole-heartedly except during Tubbs' best years.
We've had great coaches. John McLeod coached in the NBA finals. But we seldom had 4000 in the Field House when he was our coach. Dave Bliss was a quality coach several places. We've had quality teams.

Problem is that OU fans are mostly not that close to Norman. I'll drive the 185 miles to watch great football once or twice a year, and even pay for a motel room, to watch a 3 hour 30 minute football game. But for a two hour basketball game, it's just not worth the trip. OU fans near Norman would seemingly be more interested in watching the Thunder than the Sooners. We can be good to very good. But the only time we've been great were in the times when OUr athletes weren't much interested in going to class. And it wasn't really encouraged.

OSU may suck. But they have a much better home day crowd for basketball than we do. And that's in STILLWATER. OU fans have never really cared. You can't complain about the lack of talent when that's the case. The way that has to happen is to get a quality coach in here. Have a performance that paople can connect to and then build from there. Changing coaches isn't the way to accomplish that.

In the paradigm of college sports, generally, I'm not sure we can get there. But I damn sure know that we have to allow a quality coach to have a long term chance to make it happen. And despite the complaints of many Sooner fans, we have a quality coach.

When you think about it, OU fans have seldom been big supporters of Sooner basketball. I know I’ve not been that interested since Billy and Kelvin were coaching. My interest is football and softball, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want OU to win in every other sport. I’m just not going to lose any sleep over it.

I don't think that's the point. OU hasn't supported basketball whole-heartedly except during Tubbs' best years.
We've had great coaches. John McLeod coached in the NBA finals. But we seldom had 4000 in the Field House when he was our coach. Dave Bliss was a quality coach several places. We've had quality teams.

Problem is that OU fans are mostly not that close to Norman. I'll drive the 185 miles to watch great football once or twice a year, and even pay for a motel room, to watch a 3 hour 30 minute football game. But for a two hour basketball game, it's just not worth the trip. OU fans near Norman would seemingly be more interested in watching the Thunder than the Sooners. We can be good to very good. But the only time we've been great were in the times when OUr athletes weren't much interested in going to class. And it wasn't really encouraged.

OSU may suck. But they have a much better home day crowd for basketball than we do. And that's in STILLWATER. OU fans have never really cared. You can't complain about the lack of talent when that's the case. The way that has to happen is to get a quality coach in here. Have a performance that paople can connect to and then build from there. Changing coaches isn't the way to accomplish that.

In the paradigm of college sports, generally, I'm not sure we can get there. But I damn sure know that we have to allow a quality coach to have a long term chance to make it happen. And despite the complaints of many Sooner fans, we have a quality coach.
Great point. Many OU Fans , me included will travel to see OU football but not BB or Softball etc. Many OU fans reside outside of Norman and the AD has not done enough for gameday activities anyway even for football !! Tailgating and fan events or concerts need to happen to enhand the atmosphere even for OU football.

For basketball , i think they need to play in the field house and make its capacity 3-4 k , and if there is a marquee nationally televised event , move the team to the LNC if it still exists.
Otherwise, revamp LNC and build some more entertainment and shops around it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT