ADVERTISEMENT

Who wins - OU vs TCU

Soonerborn59

Sooner starter
Aug 16, 2009
Does OU come out angry and fired up?

I really don't know what to think of this game as I haven't seen TCU play this season and all I really know about them is from what I read. Hopefully OU got smacked in the face last week and doesn't allow it to happen again this Saturday. I do believe this game will be a very close game with OU securing the game late in the 4th. ( at least I sure hope they do )

Oklahoma 31 - 20

Reactions: iasooner2000
Without my Crimson glasses on and being honest, this game is a coin flip.

Defense responds with a few big plays that were absent last week and we see some unexpected faces play big. 35-14 Sooners

TCU is really fast at the skill positions. They really got it in gear offensively in Boulder in the 2nd half. And looked like world beaters. Then we later found out that Colorado is horrible. They also did a number on SMU last week, although Tanner Mordicai made some plays against their defense.

TCU has two backs better than OUr best two. And some 6'4 guys at receiver who can run. Their quarterback is big, strong and fast. In prior years, pretty error prone. Kind of like last week's opposing qb.

Their OLine is suspect, but they are still putting up incredible numbers offensively. They are yet another 3-3-5 defense, with three safeties. For OU to have a chance, OUr DLine has to be really good.

I really can't believe the spread this week. I've seen in in places OU minus 6.5. That's nuts. But l guess we'll see. This will probably be the most raucous crowd at Amon Carter in years. I honestly won't be surprised if TCU wins double digits.

The Frogs really haven't played anybody, but really, neither have we. We'll find out a lot about the Sooners today. I'm picking Sooners, 48-45. But my lack of confidence is high.

Randy I expected someone to post Brent’s presser after last week and don’t have the skills on my phone
Obviously we will have to play better

TCU is really fast at the skill positions. They really got it in gear offensively in Boulder in the 2nd half. And looked like world beaters. Then we later found out that Colorado is horrible. They also did a number on SMU last week, although Tanner Mordicai made some plays against their defense.

TCU has two backs better than OUr best two. And some 6'4 guys at receiver who can run. Their quarterback is big, strong and fast. In prior years, pretty error prone. Kind of like last week's opposing qb.

Their OLine is suspect, but they are still putting up incredible numbers offensively. They are yet another 3-3-5 defense, with three safeties. For OU to have a chance, OUr DLine has to be really good.

I really can't believe the spread this week. I've seen in in places OU minus 6.5. That's nuts. But l guess we'll see. This will probably be the most raucous crowd at Amon Carter in years. I honestly won't be surprised if TCU wins double digits.

The Frogs really haven't played anybody, but really, neither have we. We'll find out a lot about the Sooners today. I'm picking Sooners, 48-45. But my lack of confidence is high.
If you look at the TCU highlights vs. SMU, their biggest plays were in the running game. If we can shut down the run, we win by 3 TDs.

My diehard TCU buddy thinks OU will take this one. He says OU will have success getting to the qb because their Oline supposedly isn’t much. They do have a big rb though and I expect them to try to run a lot and copy KSU to an extent. They have some big tall receivers too.

When I looked at the countenance of OUr guys during pregame, I saw a different look than I saw the first four games. It's didn't look great. Hope I'm wrong.

This regular season game is much worse than the 1959 Northwestern loss and about the same as the two losses to Nebraska in 1996 and 1997.
OU football is officially in a long rebuilding mode and entry into the SEC now seems to be a very reckless move. I just hope it's 2025 for joining the SEC.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
This regular season game is much worse than the 1959 Northwestern loss and about the same as the two losses to Nebraska in 1996 and 1997.
OU football is officially in a long rebuilding mode and entry into the SEC now seems to be a very reckless move. I just hope it's 2025 for joining the SEC.
I was all for Gabriel coming back next year but I don't know if that's such a great idea if JA could give us a chance of winning games. I'm very concerned Lebby does not have a No. 2 that can really even throw the ball remotely consistently

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
I was all for Gabriel coming back next year but I don't know if that's such a great idea if JA could give us a chance of winning games. I'm very concerned Lebby does not have a No. 2 that can really even throw the ball remotely consistently
#2 should at least bring some sort of excitement. Ain't seen it yet.

Venables just said in his presser that he was pleased with our No. 2 qb and that he did some "nice things" I didn't expect him to insult him but if he would have said "we're going to look at our qb situation if Gabriel is out and see who gives us the best shot of winning" I would have felt much better

Its time to see what our talented freshman can do. We have several high 4-star players, turn them loose, and get ahead of the learning curve. Gentry Williams, Robert Spears-Jennings, Jaren Kanak, Kobie McKenzie, Nick Evers, Kip Lewis, Jaydon Rowe, all but one of these guys play defense and have never been coached by Grinch and his staff. Either the upperclassman are not buying into the new coaches and what is being taught, or the new coaches are mirror images of what was here last year.

Its time to see what our talented freshman can do. We have several high 4-star players, turn them loose, and get ahead of the learning curve. Gentry Williams, Robert Spears-Jennings, Jaren Kanak, Kobie McKenzie, Nick Evers, Kip Lewis, Jaydon Rowe, all but one of these guys play defense and have never been coached by Grinch and his staff. Either the upperclassman are not buying into the new coaches and what is being taught, or the new coaches are mirror images of what was here last year.
Just last week in his presser Venables said that Kobe McKenzie and Kip Lewis are redshirting because they aren't mentally ready, so I guess that means that Stutsman and #2 ARE mentally ready? LOL

Venables just said in his presser that he was pleased with our No. 2 qb and that he did some "nice things" I didn't expect him to insult him but if he would have said "we're going to look at our qb situation if Gabriel is out and see who gives us the best shot of winning" I would have felt much better

OU has had the luxury of having a good backup QB for the better part of the last decade (but now now). Baker Mayfield had Kyler Murray (who actually had to come in for a few plays against Ohio State when Baker got dinged up). Rattler didn't get injured, but when he couldn't get the job done, there was Caleb Williams.

When Gabriel got knocked out and Beville came in, it reminded me of 2007 when Sam Bradford got knocked out with a concussion against Texas Tech and Joey Halzle came in.

Just last week in his presser Venables said that Kobe McKenzie and Kip Lewis are redshirting because they aren't mentally ready, so I guess that means that Stutsman and #2 ARE mentally ready? LOL
Dont they still get to play in 4 games and redshirt? Like you kinda stated it cant be much worse than whats out there.

Reactions: Belldozer1
OU has had the luxury of having a good backup QB for the better part of the last decade (but now now). Baker Mayfield had Kyler Murray (who actually had to come in for a few plays against Ohio State when Baker got dinged up). Rattler didn't get injured, but when he couldn't get the job done, there was Caleb Williams.

When Gabriel got knocked out and Beville came in, it reminded me of 2007 when Sam Bradford got knocked out with a concussion against Texas Tech and Joey Halzle came in.
Good comparison to Bradford/Halzle wasn’t that the BYU game?

Reactions: iasooner2000
Dont they still get to play in 4 games and redshirt? Like you kinda stated it cant be much worse than whats out there.
I like Stutsman ok, he’s young but like Teddy Lehman alluded to on that long running touchdown by Duggen on the RPO, Stutsman’s job was contain on the qb and he has him dead to rights, what does Stutsman do? Bites hard on the fake rb handoff which wasn’t his job anyway…and off to the races Duggen went smh.

Speaking of young, if I recall correctly Teddy Lehman was Stutsman age when he teamed up with Roy Williams for that famous RRS back breaker play. Lehman made that play by a little luck and being where he was supposed to be. Those guys just seemed headier back then.

Last edited:
I like Stutsman ok, he’s young but like Teddy Lehman alluded to on that long running touchdown by Duggen on the RPO, Stutsman’s job was contain on the qb and he has him dead to rights, what does Stutsman do? Bites hard on the fake rb handoff which wasn’t his job anyway…and off to the races Duggen went smh.

Speaking of young, if I recall correctly Teddy Lehman was Stutsman age when he teamed up with Roy Williams for that famous RRS back breaker play. Lehman made that play by a little luck and being where he was supposed to be. Those guys just seemed headier back then.
It's really hard to play inside linebacker behind below average defensive tackles. Teddy had great tackles in front of him.

Lehman also was a legit 4.4 guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT