ADVERTISEMENT

Vacation time fellas

Yankees03

Sooner starter
Jan 12, 2012
Between umping and work I haven't had a whole lot of time to get away this summer. However I'm off the next 10 days and definitely looking for something to do with the family. Any suggestions and would even consider something here in our great state and needs to be something young teens would enjoy. Thanks in advance

We considered going to marvel resort near Gore but after calling today we were told tenkiller is still 10 feet above normal and no one is allowed to fish or swim. Bummer

Reactions: BillyRay
We considered going to marvel resort near Gore but after calling today we were told tenkiller is still 10 feet above normal and no one is allowed to fish or swim. Bummer

That sucks. OK has some excellent spots to go but a lot of them are on/near the water. Maybe some of the rivers/streams are a bit lower. The Ozarks are really cool too.

Yankee, have you ever visited the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks? If not, it is a must-see.

Talimena Skyline Drive (State Highway 1) pick it up at Talihena, OK and drive east to the state line. If you have time and a few bucks, stay at Queen Wilhelmina Lodge just over the Arkansas line. The entire trip is outstanding.

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, NW of Lawton. One of my favorite places in Oklahoma. Drive to the top of Mt. Scott. See tons of big game wildlife in open rangeland. Check out the Holy City of the Wichitas, the nature center, Lots of small lakes. Quanah Parker Dam is pretty cool. Eat at the Meers store. Shop at the small shops and eat at Medicine Park.

Maybe you can catch the Switzer Center open in Norman. NCAA rules prohibit it being open on game days. So now seems like a great time. That is an awesome place to visit.

You'll find something to do, I'm sure. If not, there is always the worlds largest concrete totem pole in Foyil.

OKFoyilTotem.jpg

Last edited:
Yankee, have you ever visited the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks. If not, it is a must-see.

Talimena Skyline Drive (State Highway 1) pick it up at Talihena, OK and drive east to the state line. If you have time and a few bucks, stay at Queen Wilhelmina Lodge just over the Arkansas line. The entire trip is outstanding.

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, NW of Lawton. One of my favorite places in Oklahoma. Drive to the top of Mt. Scott. See tons of big game wildlife in open rangeland. Check out the Holy City of the Wichitas, the nature center, Lots of small lakes. Quanah Parker Dam is pretty cool. Eat at the Meers store. Shop at the small shops and eat at Medicine Park.

Maybe you can catch the Switzer Center open in Norman. NCAA rules prohibit it being open on game days. So now seems like a great time. That is an awesome place to visit.

You'll find something to do, I'm sure. If not, there is always the worlds largest concrete totem pole in Foyil.

OKFoyilTotem.jpg

I actually lived in Foyil for a while. Used to drive by this thing all the time.

I actually lived in Foyil for a while. Used to drive by this thing all the time.

Looks like a great place to drink beer at 1:30 am (while in high school). ;) There used to be a giant arrow at the state fair grounds in OKC many years ago. It was a tower with a big arrowhead pointing upward. The thing was purchased by a rancher and moved out into the countryside NW of where I live in Canadian County. It is a legendary place for high school beer drinking and even one or two human sacrifices. So the B.S. legend goes.

Probably too late to look into Broken Bow, but if the family likes camping, it's first come first serve.

Looks like a great place to drink beer at 1:30 am (while in high school). ;) There used to be a giant arrow at the state fair grounds in OKC many years ago. It was a tower with a big arrowhead pointing upward. The thing was purchased by a rancher and moved out into the countryside NW of where I live in Canadian County. It is a legendary place for high school beer drinking and even one or two human sacrifices. So the B.S. legend goes.

I went to HS in Foyil for a few years and I've had a few beers there. Most of the other kids were smoking the local flora that seems to grow way out in the middle of no where.

Yankee, have you ever visited the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks. If not, it is a must-see.

OKFoyilTotem.jpg
22 the wife and I went to Jenks a few weeks ago. We wanted to wait to go to the aquarium til we had our daughter with us so we just went down to the new river side thing they have. I love eating at that Mexican restaurant but I was very disappointed with the rest of it. I guess they are still trying to get it going? There were tons of empty buildings with hardly no businesses.

Reactions: BillyRay
Steer clear of Arkiesaw, thats where I am. The devil and the Mrs decided it was a good place for their vacation this year because its so darn hot! 67 is ready for fall weather and some football.

If you need to 'minimize' take the kids to any remnants of the Mother Road if you are in any proximity. I was looking at the old Route in Tulsa and remember some decent places fitty & I walked, biked and/or drove to in NE OK...

The fiance and I just spent some time up in Vermont and a few days in Montreal. I'd recommend both. Probably a little far away for you though...

Caribbean - if you like sun, fun and beaches. Teens can enjoy watching other teens or being watched by other teens (depending on if they are boys or girls).

ADVERTISEMENT