ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 ….impact recruits/portal guys for 2024

Venables stated that this class may be his best so far at OU.
That said, my interest is seeing what happens with QB Hawkins and WR Ragins on offense and LB Boganowski on defense,
Hawkins as a freshman should give OU a decent backup behind Arnold, which is critical…. Something OU learned in the 2022 Texas game when OU essentially played without a QB when Gabriel was injured.

Venables stated that this class may be his best so far at OU.
That said, my interest is seeing what happens with QB Hawkins and WR Ragins on offense and LB Boganowski on defense,
Hawkins as a freshman should give OU a decent backup behind Arnold, which is critical…. Something OU learned in the 2022 Texas game when OU essentially played without a QB when Gabriel was injured.
Not sure what Hawkins is thinking. Maybe wants to redshirt and give Arnold time to leave so he can play? Its a rarity these days where guys will sit and wait for their turn

Maybe Hawkins wants to follow in his dads footsteps and be a Sooner. He has a brother that is class of 2025 6'2 180lb DB. If he commits we will have 3 sets of brothers on the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner2000
Not sure what Hawkins is thinking. Maybe wants to redshirt and give Arnold time to leave so he can play? Its a rarity these days where guys will sit and wait for their turn
If Hawkins redshirts, I don’t see OU with a serviceable backup at QB in 2024.
General Booty doesn’t represent, so far, being a capable backup.

Jayden Jackson is getting big reviews from the upperclassmen. I think and David Stone are the beginning of a real revival of Sooner defense.

Davon Mitchell will be a problem for opposing defenses.

If Hawkins redshirts, I don’t see OU with a serviceable backup at QB in 2024.
General Booty doesn’t represent, so far, being a capable backup.
IMO, I think you will see less and less redshirts with the way the portal is going. OU had more true freshman snaps than any other team (mostly special teams). You redshirt a kid so he can sit and learn your system, with the transfers why redshirt a kid to only have him transfer out to another program. Especially at the QB position, if he's a 4/5 star kid, if hes not playing hes going someplace else. The days of having kids play in your system for 5 years are in the rearview mirror.

IMO, I think you will see less and less redshirts with the way the portal is going. OU had more true freshman snaps than any other team (mostly special teams). You redshirt a kid so he can sit and learn your system, with the transfers why redshirt a kid to only have him transfer out to another program. Especially at the QB position, if he's a 4/5 star kid, if hes not playing hes going someplace else. The days of having kids play in your system for 5 years are in the rearview mirror.
Exactly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT