ADVERTISEMENT

This is my last day on the job.....I'm retiring so

Oklabama

Sooner starter
Aug 10, 2004
Tulsa, OK
I guess you guys (and gal) will see me posting a lot more often now that I will have more time to be on the message board. So here are few opinions and observations on OU football in general:

1. I like Bob Stoops' teams when they are ranked outside the Top Ten. Looks like the preseason rankings have them around number 20. I think that's about right and is ample room for improvement.
  2. John Klein's column in today's Tulsa World on the Big 12 expanding: "The Big 12 should go after Clemson and Florida State; or Arizona and Arizona State; or Arkansas and LSU; or get Nebraska to come back" and not settle for just two more schools. Well, John, those would be nice additions, but as you began your column, it's too late. I don't see any of his wish list teams moving to the Big 12. I see not so great football powers in large TV markets being on the short list for an invitation. Not as exciting as it could have been four years ago.
  3. I can see Riley using a two QB system this season until someone rises to the top.....if possible. Trevor Knight - Baker Mayfield.
  4. Will Joe Mixon be used to run back kickoffs and/or punts.......I'm asking? I would like to see him get a chance.
  5. Cale Gundy's new salary as the assistant head coach is $365K. Mike Stoops is paid $850,000. Cale is paid 43% of what Mike is paid. :confused: It's a coordinator thingy!
  6. Who's would take a bigger hit losing the RRR this year? Bob or Charlie?
  7. Not looking forward to the Red on Red uni look.
  8. TCU, Baylor, Texas, Tennessee....are these our toughest regular season games?
  9. Will Ricky DeBerry become the next great OU linebacker? My pick for the star of the 2015 class. He's still on the team, right?
  10. O-State game strategy.......go for it on every fourth down.

I guess you guys (and gal) will see me posting a lot more often now that I will have more time to be on the message board. So here are few opinions and observations on OU football in general:

1. I like Bob Stoops' teams when they are ranked outside the Top Ten. Looks like the preseason rankings have them around number 20. I think that's about right and is ample room for improvement.
  2. John Klein's column in today's Tulsa World on the Big 12 expanding: "The Big 12 should go after Clemson and Florida State; or Arizona and Arizona State; or Arkansas and LSU; or get Nebraska to come back" and not settle for just two more schools. Well, John, those would be nice additions, but as you began your column, it's too late. I don't see any of his wish list teams moving to the Big 12. I see not so great football powers in large TV markets being on the short list for an invitation. Not as exciting as it could have been four years ago.
  3. I can see Riley using a two QB system this season until someone rises to the top.....if possible. Trevor Knight - Baker Mayfield.
  4. Will Joe Mixon be used to run back kickoffs and/or punts.......I'm asking? I would like to see him get a chance.
  5. Cale Gundy's new salary as the assistant head coach is $365K. Mike Stoops is paid $850,000. Cale is paid 43% of what Mike is paid. :confused: It's a coordinator thingy!
  8. TCU, Baylor, Texas, Tennessee....are these our toughest regular season games?
  9. Will Ricky DeBerry become the next great OU linebacker? My pick for the star of the 2015 class. He's still on the team, right?

OKLABAMA...While your News, today, comes as no surprise, it does seem like the time has gone by, quickly, since you told us that you were transitioning from Full Time, to Part Time, to RETIRED! Seeing more of your very thoughtful posts will be OUr Gain!

It would be nice if we had a centrally located 'Hot Spot' where Special Events could be celebrated by all of us! Let me be the first to raise my Cyber-Glass in a Toast to Your Future...I hope it's all that you want/need it to be! Good Luck with spending your time exactly as YOU choose! Cheers!

Get that Bucket List all polished up and Go For It!

Fondly,
Senior Sooner ;)

great post OKB...all good questions. #5 is troubling and unless there is major improvement, I would think that 850k could get you one hell of a DC from somewhere. That is more than most teams pay their HC.

Sincere congrats on the retirement.

Boomer Sooner

Here, here oklabama! Have a fantastic retirement (on some secluded island) before this shit all burns down and hopefully we'll have a turnaround on the field before we both croak.
Congratulations, Oklabama.
Three things: daytime TV on weekdays sucks......use a gym at least 3 days a week and/or walk a lot...don't spend too much time on your computer, especially in this forum.

Thanks for all the good wishes and advice from everyone. I truly appreciate it. CT, my kids gave me a fitbit for Father's Day so I am already into monitoring my steps and reaching my daily goal. As for time in front of a computer, if I cut it back to only 25% of what I have been use to being on a PC each day, it will be easy to double my time on our message board. I've been accustomed to going to bed around 9:30 pm and awaking between 4 - 5 am, even on weekends. Didn't get to bed last night until 11 and woke up today at 6:20. I must actually be retired. Hoorah!

Bama,

Congrats on the retirement! I'm green with envy, but I hope to be joining the ranks of the retired this time next year!

I keep reading articles that you need to have "a plan," but some of the people I talk with say they wanted to "take a few months off" before deciding what to do - volunteer, work part-time or just do nothing (play golf, work out, travel, fix up or sell the house, etc.).

Anyway, hope you have many years of good health, enjoying Sooner football and writing the next chapter in your Book of Life!

Thanks for all the good wishes and advice from everyone. I truly appreciate it. CT, my kids gave me a fitbit for Father's Day so I am already into monitoring my steps and reaching my daily goal. As for time in front of a computer, if I cut it back to only 25% of what I have been use to being on a PC each day, it will be easy to double my time on our message board. I've been accustomed to going to bed around 9:30 pm and awaking between 4 - 5 am, even on weekends. Didn't get to bed last night until 11 and woke up today at 6:20. I must actually be retired. Hoorah!
Oklabama, you're on the same schedule as I am...my Beagle, Casey, wakes me up around 4:30 and after I see my wife off to work at 7:30, the day is mine.....yard work, laundry, long dog walks, taking in a movie at home, playing chess on my computer, working out at the gym 4-5 times a week with a female PT who could kick my butt (and make me like it), visiting my dying best friend with Parkinson's (he's in the final stages of a very cruel disease) and whatever else I want to do.
I'm in bed and asleep by 10 pm.....unless the Yankees go extra innings.
I have no misgivings about being in life's raisin ranch.

ADVERTISEMENT