ADVERTISEMENT

"There's gotta be more to this!"

Sooner Showtime

Sooner starter
Jun 7, 2010
Wrong, there doesn't have to be more to this. Have you guys been paying attention for the past 8 or so years? There are many, many examples of people getting fired for using a slur, even if the word was used in a context that meant absolutely no harm. Between Cale's Twitter statement and the details Eddie provided, I think it's safe to assume the incident was enough to get him fired, or leave him with no choice but to resign.

This is the society we currently live in. Do I wish this was something Cale could be forgiven for (publicly), considering the circumstances in which it happened? Yes, yes I do. That there could be some nuance in how we handle these type of situations, and that context and intent were deemed as important as the optics or the potential for public outcry? Again, yes.

But Cale HAS to know that a person in his position, in today's culture of outrage and social contagion, that saying that word in ANY CONTEXT as a white man is going to possibly put you up for deletion. He's in a public role as a coach at a major football program, with the majority of athletes in his room being young black men.

I feel really bad for Cale because I think it's pretty obvious from those who would know that he isn't a racist person. I believe he made a mistake, and I suspect the people who really matter understand that, even the people who were there when it happened. Unfortunately, he is a causality of the current political and cultural environment. Just no way around it. Cale did what he, and possibly others, thought needed to be done. Stepping away for the best of the program.

I don't want to move on from Cale, but it looks like we and the football program have no choice. It's just a sad ending to a wonderful career and all he gave to the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News