ADVERTISEMENT

The OU Cowbell..............

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
A dear senior citizen lady always watched all OU TV games at a local sports bar I frequent. She was the first to show up to make sure she had the best seat in the bar to watch. She was very vocal during the games and could name players names from their jersey numbers. She was always decked out in OU clothing. One thing....she always brought a cowbell with the OU emblem and it rang out every time OU scored or made a great play and it rang out many times over the years I watched games there with her. It really bugged a lot of the regulars which included OSU and Texas fans, but none of them complained to her face. She was not only respected because of her age, but because she was one of us.

Well, the cowbell got retired today. It's going into a glass trophy space in the bar with her name, as her funeral was today. She really wanted to see another OU NC and told her son she would watch the next one from heaven before she died.

Goodbye to my wife's Aunt Z. A huge fan. RIP Z.

Great post K2C. She sounds like someone I'd be incredibly proud to know as a friend and as a fellow Sooner. Thanks for sharing your story about this wonderful woman. May God bless and protect her soul.

Sorry to hear about your loss K2C. It's always hard to lose a part of your family. I feel your pain man, my grandmother passed last Thursday at 96. She was 2 days shy of her 97th birthday. Without a doubt she was the reason I grew up an OU fan. She was a rabid OU fan....and I mean RABID!! OU football to her was serious business. I'm not sure how far back she had season tickets, but I know she had them during the Switzer years in the 80s, and finally stopped paying for them I think in the Gibbs or Shelly years when it became difficult for her physically to go to the games. The games I watched with her on TV, it was a great display of her screaming at the TV. It was awesome!!! Her favorite phrase that I will never forget is when an OU player had the ball and the other team went to tackle him she was always scream at the top of her lungs, "GET OFF OF HIM!!!". Lol She never got tired of talking about OU football. She was light up and get so excited when a game was about to kickoff on TV. I"m definitely gonna miss her. Wish you guys could have been around her during at OU game, you would have loved it!! :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT