ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB in 2015

PryorFan

Sooner starter
Dec 26, 2004
My guess goes to Trevor Knight for the following reasons: 1) Huepel did not develop his young qbs to replace Landry Jones and it showed in 2013 and 2014; 2) yes TK threw horrible INTs in the KSU, TCU and BU games but coaching game plans (example Texas game) and the kicking game were as much to blame; 3) TK played the entire season with one quality receiver that could be counted on to get open and catch his passes and when SS went down so did TK's passing; and 4) Why the Baker Mayfield love?, he is a walk-on and yes he looked good at TT against early season cup cakes but thereafter was not that effective 5) Trevor is already a club house leader.

Trevor will start in 2015 and I hope he does well or 2015 will resemble 2014.

JIMHO

Good post Pryor. I think TK is likely the best option. I don't think last year was the best reflection of his ability as he did not have reliable receiver help. The game vs Alabama showed he can be a good QB with receivers that can run routes and catch the ball. I also think Riley's offense will benefit him.

I'm not sold on Mayfield.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I still say it's Trevor's job to lose. He has much more field experience but it'll probably come down to who Riley has faith in to implement his new offensive game plans.

If PK6TK9 starts then this could be Stoops last year at OU, funny how some people see getting taller WR will help Knight but OU best WR are under 6 feet

I can't remember the stats for any of the quarterbacks on campus, but I know that the TD - Int ratios aren't very good for any of them. Pryorfan is absolutely correct regarding Mayfield's performances at TT. Baker didn't do well against quality opponents, but did very well against much less talented teams. Since this is another year and new offense, I think the QB competition should be wide open and it won't surprise me when the starting QB is named unless it is Cody. Sorry to say it, but I feel our available QBs are a lot like our presidential candidates....no one stands out. I sense our new class may be bringing in our future QB. But I am willing/want to be proven wrong by the our QB trio this season.

I was thinking about this today and I feel confident that Riley will bring something out in our guys that has somewhere got lost in the shuffle of trying to decide if OU is going to go with a read/option QB or a pocket QB. This not to bash Josh Heupel as he did a fantastic job while at OU and had some great talent to work with (White, Hybl, Thompson, Sam, Landry....). He also had some pretty prolific offense while working with Chuck Long and Kevin Wilson, so the guy can develop QBs.

However, I just think that maybe it was time for a change and the perspective and experience that Riley brings will elevate the play of our guys in the meeting rooms, on the practice field and during the game. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I can't help but feel that the improvement and consistency of our QB play may astonish some folks this year.

And to keep the thread on track, I'm thinking that Trevor is our starter on Opening Day and will keep the job throughout the season.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
[QUOTE="Schoonerman, post: 178926, member: 62"

"I was thinking about this today and I feel confident that Riley will bring something out in our guys". "I just think that maybe it was time for a change and the perspective and experience that Riley brings will elevate the play of our guys in the meeting rooms, on the practice field and during the game. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I can't help but feel that the improvement and consistency of our QB play may astonish some folks this year". [/QUOTE]

Schoonerman, I could get use to being pleasingly astonished, so I am rooting for the possibility this season. Nothing would make me happier than for the Sooners to exceed all our expectations. I do like your optimistic approach to the season. Boomer!

I shouldn't be, but I'm still astonished when a player's screw ups are the fault of his position coach. Knight threw picks because he likes to wish the ball into places that are poor choices to try.

He did that against Bama and his receivers bailed him out. I also think it's interesting that his most effective performances came when the defense had prepared for another quarterback, or wasn't sure who the quarterback was going to be. Bama was maybe expecting Bell. Or ISU, when the game was a ball buster in the first half, but Bell got hurt and Knight lit it up in the second half.

The point is that Trevor has been subject to the traps that good defensive coordinators have set for him, when they knew he'd be the quarterback. And the more they came to know about his tendencies, the worse he was. That's not about coaching. That's about a player who isn't doing a good job of learning and improving. He's been in Norman for three years. It's past time to be an asset, rather than a liability.

I still think we maybe let the best one go. I have no idea who the starter will be against Akron. But I'll be less surprised than not, if even without a quarterback injury, that we have more than one qb starter over 12 reg season games.

Coaches should teach their players not to make mental errors. Knight's pick six vs Kansas State was a byproduct of his own screw up for sure, but it also reflects on coaching.
Knight's problems in 2014 were many and they included a lackluster receiving corps (no Saunders, no Bester...and no Clay...the three players that won the Sugar Bowl on offense), an injury resulting from a dirty hit vs Baylor and the failure to develop further into a consistent QB....part of that equation is the fault of coaching.
I really don't see it making a difference who starts this season. None of the three QB's have been able to separate themselves from the other two. I think the QB who takes this team to a higher level is not yet on the roster.

I'm thankful heupel is gone and I'm thankful Mayfield will get a look at qb. I'm guessing he will be the starter. Knight has been given his shot and has been erratic and flat out bad alot of the time

Reactions: BillyRay
I'm curious to know what knights completion percentage is as well as td to int ratio

Mayfield's Int/TD Ratio was pretty high at TT (12 TD - 9 Int). His first two games he went 7 TD and 0 Int's, his last six games he had 5 TD's and 9 Int's. He also lost two fumbles.

Knight has 23 TD's and 17 Int's career at OU

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Many forget just had bad we looked at times last yr. Ou will be back but it won't be next yr

Reactions: BillyRay
With any player, but especially a quarterback, the amount of improvement from one year to the next is often substantial. Look at TCU last year, and the year before.

Talking about Mayfield's frequent picks two years ago and what to expect now, are likely to be way way different. He was the starting quarterback at Tech in 2013 as a true freshman coming out of high school without having even gone through spring practice. It might not be a night and day difference, but it's likely to be huge.

Not so sure that TK won't be the same. A lot of it will have to do with good health. If Shep AND Westbrook AND Andrews AND Mixon stay healthy this year, those will be four guys who can make any quarterback look really good. And Perine will have some space that he only saw in a few games last season. OUr receiving corps in 2014 was significantly sub par, and ridiculously bad after Sterling got hurt.

I think it will be a real possibility that we will have two receivers and two running backs who are college difference makers this season. You might say 2 1/2 receivers and 1 1/2 running backs.

This team might be sensational offensively. Might is a pretty large hedge, but there are very positive possibilities. We'll just see. I'm not counting on any of it. But I'm not counting out the possibility of greatness. I think we'll be okay at tackle, maybe even pretty good. How that turns out will be almost as important as the quarterbacks. The biggest problem with the latter, IMO, is that we're down to three. Makes me nervous.

I think it could be a great year. I think there is a chance we do what half the Sooner nation was predicting last season i.e. getting to the final four. Seriously.

I'm not betting the house on a national title. But I'm also not counting out the possibilities. This group will need a break or two, but the football gods owe us more than a few. This could be a great year, and a great year offensively.

With any player, but especially a quarterback, the amount of improvement from one year to the next is often substantial. Look at TCU last year, and the year before.

Talking about Mayfield's frequent picks two years ago and what to expect now, are likely to be way way different. He was the starting quarterback at Tech in 2013 as a true freshman coming out of high school without having even gone through spring practice. It might not be a night and day difference, but it's likely to be huge.

Not so sure that TK won't be the same. A lot of it will have to do with good health. If Shep AND Westbrook AND Andrews AND Mixon stay healthy this year, those will be four guys who can make any quarterback look really good. And Perine will have some space that he only saw in a few games last season. OUr receiving corps in 2014 was significantly sub par, and ridiculously bad after Sterling got hurt.

I think it will be a real possibility that we will have two receivers and two running backs who are college difference makers this season. You might say 2 1/2 receivers and 1 1/2 running backs.

This team might be sensational offensively. Might is a pretty large hedge, but there are very positive possibilities. We'll just see. I'm not counting on any of it. But I'm not counting out the possibility of greatness. I think we'll be okay at tackle, maybe even pretty good. How that turns out will be almost as important as the quarterbacks. The biggest problem with the latter, IMO, is that we're down to three. Makes me nervous.

I think it could be a great year. I think there is a chance we do what half the Sooner nation was predicting last season i.e. getting to the final four. Seriously.

I'm not betting the house on a national title. But I'm also not counting out the possibilities. This group will need a break or two, but the football gods owe us more than a few. This could be a great year, and a great year offensively.
Offensively, quarterbacking may turn out to be the least of problems Riley has to deal with. There is an offensive line that must be rebuilt and a receiving corps that has to be solid beyond just Shepard and Westbrook. OU's offense in 2014, even with all the QB issues, still averaged 35 points per game.....enough points to have reflected a much better season.
Obviously, there is talent on the roster among the younger players. That's true at Oklahoma every year. But how that unproven talent will translate into a playoff caliber season is anyone's guess.
....And then there is a terrible defense that has to become prolific before anyone here can talk about either a conference or national championship. That defense never showed up in any of OU's 5 losses last season.
Many questions hang over this team and in my opinion, while I believe there will be another winning season and bowl appearance, OU has a lot of work to do to become elite again.

Trevor Knight's performance seems directly related to his confidence in his receivers. I think he'll win out over Mayfield and his performance will improve because his wideouts will be be better with superior coaching....I can dream can't I?

ADVERTISEMENT