ADVERTISEMENT

Scoop's Illegitimate Son: Feb. 3, 2020

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
Junior day edition.

1. Offers flying out

If you're in the camp of OU hasn't done enough on junior days under Lincoln Riley, then the last few weeks have been a nice change of pace.

From my count, we have six offers at the event and sure we'll get a lot more going down the road. Four on Saturday and two from a couple of Sundays ago.

Never felt like it would be a big commitment weekend, but OU has to be happy with the turnout, especially in regards to the state of Texas.

Junior day (2) offers.

- 2021 WR J. Michael Sturdivant

- 2022 DB Bryan Allen

- 2022 QB Quinn Ewers

- 2022 WR Jordan Hudson

First thought is Ewers is the QB choice for 2022. I know Alex Orji has been offered already and was also at junior day, but I just have a hard time believing he'll stick at QB. That family grows to be so big that he'll find his way to defense, just a gut feeling.

Ty Simpson has also been offered for the 2022 class after he camped at OU last summer. Just not a lot regarding him and OU here lately.

And of course, OU went local the first time with 2022 Deer Creek OL Jacob Sexton and 2022 Santa Fe WR Talyn Shettron.

With the rest of the month a dead period, might give OU's coaches even more time to eval any junior day visitors and pull the trigger on more offers.

2. Presentation matters, who knew?

EPzKFQLXUAEZl0x

(2022 junior day visitor Cristian Driver)

Already had the mea culpa on this after the first junior day, but it's obvious how much presentation matters. The full jersey, the barbershop corner being turned into a trophy room, all of that was very well done by OU.

We won't get to talk to Lincoln Riley this week, but I do plan on (hopefully) asking him next week why the change from just jerseys to now a full uniform?

We haven't reached the stage of parents putting on jerseys and things like that, but I was dead wrong about not wearing jerseys not mattering.

Whatever the reason is, it was well-executed in the last couple of weeks of checking all the boxes with recruits on their visits.

That is one heck of an eye-popping presentation.

3. Back to the grad transfer pool

From Oklahoma State to Marshall to OU, quite the little journey for Obi Obialo. Basically at same time, me and Josh were able to confirm he will be on scholarship for the Sooners. Hope to get a chance to talk with Obi this week or sometime soon.

Don't think this has anything to do with Theo Howard, regardless of how severe/not severe his Achilles injury ends up being. If you look at Obialo, not really a Howard clone by any means.

Instead, more like a Lee Morris clone, right? Let Austin Stogner play the Grant Calcaterra role and let Obialo be Lee Morris #IsThisRacist.

This would be a move that keeps Brayden Willis in the H-Back room because I definitely thought he could be moving to TE if OU kept its numbers. And it relieves a little of the pressure from Jalin Conyers having to come right in and make a play.

Obialo was a two-star from way back when at Coppell HS:

Think we all know OU needs some defensive grad transfer help, but not a lot of choices. If you're a defensive grad transfer, usually means ya didn't pan out somewhere or got over-recruited or something. You can say the same thing for offense, but I think it's more prevalent for defense.

That's a big dude:

EP3NEmnXkAABwbX

So with the foot injury, he only played the last four games. Take that into consideration, 18 catches for 244 yards is not that bad. Looking at 4.5 catches per game for 61 yards, OK.

And you really saw what he could do as a junior with 42 receptions for 505 yards and four touchdowns. He won't need to put up those numbers in Norman, but it's nice to know he could be capable of stuff like that.

Bonus

The Pat Mahomes edition. Would have had no problem with 49ers winning, but glad Chiefs got the job done.

And The GOAT of remakes that I drove my wife nuts singing throughout the postseason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News