ADVERTISEMENT

School A - 19 in recruiting class, School B - 29 in their class?

Schoonerman

Sooner starter
May 29, 2001
Marietta, GA
Could one of your recruiting gurus explain to me how a school like FSU has a recruiting class of 19, whereas some other schools like Miss State and Texas signed 28 or 29 guys? I know some scholarship players leave school early, some leave for other programs, some give up football for personal/medical reasons, etc., but why is there such a big gap in some of these recruiting classes?

Early Entries or Midterm Entries don't count as part of the 25 ship allotment for Feb 5.

OU had 29 in 2010 and 27 in 2014.

Some recruiting sites separate the midterm entries as early signees in their lists, while other do not.

There are also some cases, where a school will sign and place a prospect at a JUCO.

Originally posted by JMISASANO:
Early Entries or Midterm Entries don't count as part of the 25 ship allotment for Feb 5.

Some recruiting sites separate the midterm entries as early signees in their lists, while other do not.

There are also some cases, where a school will sign and place a prospect at a JUCO.
Okay, the Mid-term and Early Signees explanation makes sense (I didn't realize so many kids were coming in at mid-term or early), but what about the teams with only 19 or 20 in their class? Why so few?

Originally posted by Schoonerman:

Originally posted by JMISASANO:

Okay, the Mid-term and Early Signees explanation makes sense (I didn't realize so many kids were coming in at mid-term or early), but what about the teams with only 19 or 20 in their class? Why so few?
That's the easy one. There is a 25 max per year and 85 max overall. Basically, you can have 5 classes on campus at once (including redshirts). If you have 25 from three classes already on campus, you only have room for 10 enrollees to stay under the 85 max. Attrition usually gets most programs closer to 60-65 total, so you can sign as many as 20-25 each year.
Realistically, you probably average about 15-17 from 4 classes (total of 60-68) before signing day. So you can sign between 17-25 each year.
This post was edited on 2/6 9:02 AM by humblesooner

JMI, humble,

Thanks for you responses. This explains the difference in some of these school's recruiting numbers. Big help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT