ADVERTISEMENT

Remarkable score in World Cup Final: US 5, Japan 2. Final

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
The US Women have score FOUR goals in the first 16 minutes of the Finals. Three by Carly Lloyd to lead Japan 4 to 0 still not halfway through the first half.

Pretty amazing.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I turned the game on after preparing supper. It was the sixteenth minute, and it was 4-0!!! That can't be? Japan is good on defense? Had we scored four goals in the entire cup series?

We've been sitting back a bit too much since I started watching. It's not likely they can come back. But, playing on our heels doesn't help us. Go get another goal. One goal was from 54 yards?

Lloyd scored the second goal on a corner when she came from way out of the box on a corner and was not marked. It was unexpected because she usually takes the right corner kicks. And it came off another player who had the initial touch in the box.

Then she got the fourth goal from almost midfield. The Japanese goalie was way up out of the penalty box and misjudged and stumbled on the long kick. She also had the sun in her eyes. Japan was moving toward a commitment to offense and it created a lot of open space on the back end. I didn't see the first goal. I switched over at four minutes and it was already 1-0. Saw the corner immediately to make it 2-0 and ten minutes later Lloyd had a hat trick for 4-0.

The US had some great luck against Germany, but they kicked Japanese butt today. WWII vets would be proud.

Final US 5-2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT