ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. Jake...

Senior Sooner

Sooner starter
Dec 1, 2003
RIP

His father was a prominent independent oil & gas wildcatter, then son Jake carried that torch in Texas.

This post was edited on 1/28 12:13 PM by JMISASANO

I never met Jakie but have met many who have. He was a terrific player and from what I've gathered second hand, an important man among OU alums, especially among former athletes. He was a difference maker on the field and in life for 55 years afterward. This is a big loss for anyone who loves OU football.

Jakie could score in so many ways and did. He was one of the most versatile backs that ever played for Bud. RIP, Jakie.

Since I didn't attend the games during his tenure, I really wasn't familiar with Jakie as a player, other than to know that he was a pretty good one. But, I have had the opportunity to watch some of his activities within the alumni of that period, and I don't think that there is any doubt that Jakie was the organizer and leader of the alumni of the Wilkinson era. When beginning any activity that might solicit the assistance of former players, Jakie was the first contact that would be made.

If you have the opportunity to see the Legends video, the charm and class of Jakie was on demonstration. He was the first to accept the apology of Brian Bosworth for his activities. He was the one that reached across time to the players of the Switzer era as this video was largely about the players of the Wilkinson and Switzer eras. The alumni have just lost their captain.

Just as a coincidence, my ex-mother-in-law also passed yesterday. I guess that you could say that she had some ties to OU. From her description:
----father was a member of the 1915 Sooner team that won the Southwest Conference title. I think they were undefeated.
----uncle was a member of the same team and was All-Conference and All-American on at least one team.
----mother was an OU alum and a charter member of the Pi Beta Phi chapter.
----father was also the Superintendent of Schools in Norman
----she was an OU alum. I think her Bachelors was in Library Science, Masters in Social Work, and she attended OU medical school briefly--with that background?
----her two daughters were both graduates of OU
----her ex-husband was one of the first to graduate OU with a PhD in Geology and worked for Mobil as head of ---well, essentially exploration.
----one son-in-law had a BS and Ph.D. from OU
----the other son-in-law got a BA from OSU, but a law degree from OU
----three grandchildren got their degrees from OU, one also getting a law degree from OU.

I think that is a woman with an OU legacy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT