ADVERTISEMENT

Puzzle me Puzzled.............

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
We are all disappointed in last seasons overall record, but one thing that puzzled me most was the absolute lack of a punt return. I get that Sterling was hurt, but you can't tell me someone else on the team could have produced better results. One of the things I really liked about the first few Stoops teams was the execution of special teams we so lacked under Blake.

I'm going to need some help here as I've racked my brain trying to remember the great punt returner on Stoops first team(s). All I can come up with is Woolfolk, but I think I'm wrong. Mike something? Anyways back to the return game, if we can be so good on kickoffs, why not punts. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Okay, rant over................lol.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
JT Thatcher was no doubt a great one!!

But didn't Antonio Perkins set NCAA records for TDs on either punt returns or kickoff returns?? I know he set a record for one of those for a single game, but thought he tied the all-time record? Maybe somebody can remember if it was for punt or kickoff returns? I'm too lazy to Google it up. lol

We are all disappointed in last seasons overall record, but one thing that puzzled me most was the absolute lack of a punt return. I get that Sterling was hurt, but you can't tell me someone else on the team could have produced better results. One of the things I really liked about the first few Stoops teams was the execution of special teams we so lacked under Blake.

I'm going to need some help here as I've racked my brain trying to remember the great punt returner on Stoops first team(s). All I can come up with is Woolfolk, but I think I'm wrong. Mike something? Anyways back to the return game, if we can be so good on kickoffs, why not punts. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Okay, rant over................lol.
OU lacked a lot of things last year and a punt returner was one of them especially when Shepard was injured. Think of how the 2013 OSU and K-State games would have ended had Saunders not returned a punt for a touchdown in each of those games. After watching Thatcher, Broyles, Perkins, Saunders and a healthy Shepard all these years setting up touchdowns or scoring touchdowns, the punt return game was mostly nonexistent in 2014.
Ross is not suited for punt returns.
Shepard must regain his role or someone needs to fill the void "Quickly".

OU lacked a lot of things last year and a punt returner was one of them especially when Shepard was injured. Think of how the 2013 OSU and K-State games would have ended had Saunders not returned a punt for a touchdown in each of those games. After watching Thatcher, Broyles, Perkins, Saunders and a healthy Shepard all these years setting up touchdowns or scoring touchdowns, the punt return game was mostly nonexistent in 2014.
Ross is not suited for punt returns.
Shepard must regain his role or someone needs to fill the void "Quickly".

CT, why is Ross not suited for punt returns. Just curious? He's fast.

CT, why is Ross not suited for punt returns. Just curious? He's fast.
In my opinion, Ross is not a physical player and doesn't run in traffic too well.
On kickoffs, he has time to get under the ball with some breathing room to survey the field so he can get a good running start and find a lane to run in well ahead of contact. On a punt, he would have to field the ball with defenders close by and would not be able to find a running lane as easily....again, this is only my observation and because Ross has not returned punts so far, maybe the coaches think the same way.

In my opinion, Ross is not a physical player and doesn't run in traffic too well.
On kickoffs, he has time to get under the ball with some breathing room to survey the field so he can get a good running start and find a lane to run in well ahead of contact. On a punt, he would have to field the ball with defenders close by and would not be able to find a running lane as easily....again, this is only my observation and because Ross has not returned punts so far, maybe the coaches think the same way.

Thanks for the reply....My response would be give him a shot. Come on we all saw the disaster last year...........JMO

I think that Bob has generally two choices. And he chooses "safe." He puts such a huge emphasis on ball protection and not turning the ball over. So if he can find a guy who is an exciting punt return threat, AND he is VERY reliable catching the ball, then he'll go with it.

But if he has a guy who is a real threat, but not consistently reliable catching it, then he will go with the non threat who always catches it.

I've posted this a half dozen times before, but it is likely the most difficult task in football, returning big time punts. It's not the same task most of the time in high school. Good college punters and almost all pro punters, will kick a ball that curves three different ways in flight on a good punt.

One of the neatest things about what I got to do in college was to catch punts almost weekly for four years during practice. On game day, it is harder than hitting a great slider.And that's just catching it. Considering the game day task of catching it, while trying to dodge guys who'd love to decapitate you, and having to see them, and the flight of the ball. And have the quickness to make something happen is a rare ability. Much harder task than returning a kickoff. Ross might be the perfect kickoff returner, but his skills for returning punts would be minimal.

The act of catching a ball securely and then with great quickness initiate immediate movement is hard to detect. But it is essential to being a punt return threat. Indecisive people have no chance. People with bad, or even average hands have no chance. A team is lucky to have one guy who is great at it. Last year, we had Shep who was really good at it. But after he got hurt, Bob went with a reliable catcher. It put us at a disadvantage, not just in terms of threats, but in field position. I'm hoping that this year, we'll have two really good to great ones.

I think that Bob has generally two choices. And he chooses "safe." He puts such a huge emphasis on ball protection and not turning the ball over. So if he can find a guy who is an exciting punt return threat, AND he is VERY reliable catching the ball, then he'll go with it.

But if he has a guy who is a real threat, but not consistently reliable catching it, then he will go with the non threat who always catches it.

I've posted this a half dozen times before, but it is likely the most difficult task in football, returning big time punts. It's not the same task most of the time in high school. Good college punters and almost all pro punters, will kick a ball that curves three different ways in flight on a good punt.

One of the neatest things about what I got to do in college was to catch punts almost weekly for four years during practice. On game day, it is harder than hitting a great slider.And that's just catching it. Considering the game day task of catching it, while trying to dodge guys who'd love to decapitate you, and having to see them, and the flight of the ball. And have the quickness to make something happen is a rare ability. Much harder task than returning a kickoff. Ross might be the perfect kickoff returner, but his skills for returning punts would be minimal.

The act of catching a ball securely and then with great quickness initiate immediate movement is hard to detect. But it is essential to being a punt return threat. Indecisive people have no chance. People with bad, or even average hands have no chance. A team is lucky to have one guy who is great at it. Last year, we had Shep who was really good at it. But after he got hurt, Bob went with a reliable catcher. It put us at a disadvantage, not just in terms of threats, but in field position. I'm hoping that this year, we'll ha theve two really good to great ones.

Two things I did in high school football. I was along snapper on punts. I was really good at that. The second was receiving punts. I was a tight end and had the best hands on the team, Two things a punt receiver needs. Great hands and prichical (sp) vision . I can't remember how many times I caught the ball and watched defenders close in on me. Sorry for the spelling.................LOL

I believe the word you were seeking was peripheral.

The difference between a high school punter and a good college punter is about the difference between Steve Carlton's slider and Alex Williams' (the best starter on our 2-12 high school baseball team)

I believe the word you were seeking was peripheral.

The difference between a high school punter and a good college punter is about the difference between Steve Carlton's slider and Alex Williams' (the best starter on our 2-12 high school baseball team)

Yep, something like that. I wasn't the punter ,long snapper and receiver

I think Ross is a pretty darn good kickoff returner. Shepard, on the other hand, has been very disappointing. Surely there has got to be one player on our roster than can be a dynamic punt returner. I'm thinking Westbrook might be pretty good at it

ADVERTISEMENT