ADVERTISEMENT

OU season tix waiting list: Zero

Section22Sooner

Sooner starter
Dec 8, 2002
A friend who is a long time season ticket holder did not renew his tickets this year. Here it is almost July, and he received an email today asking, "Are you sure you don't want season tickets? They are still available."

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Ive heard several on the Sports Animal indicating they are not renewing their season tickets. It is bad and Bob Stoops needs to turn it around this season. Really think Bob Stoops made a huge mistake not getting a new DC. Mike loses his players by mid-season. Maybe it will be different with him in the press box. Hope so.

Seems to be the thing to do now. Save the $1200 you pay the school for 2, and get them on the street for about $400 a year. I know a few folks that jumped off as well. The Sooner Club went to pot a few years back but I do think they're trying to get right now. The only bad part of that is that they're coming off a horrible year to try and do so. We'll see where it goes.

I think the old student punch cards in the 80s amounted to about $5.00 per game. I suppose I'd be willing to pay about $50 per game nowadays. Chit's just way to overpriced.

Some group seating in the south end zone was $5.00 as recently as 1996 when Blake was HC. They couldn't sell those out, so they gave them away to places like Fort Sill. It wasn't uncommon to see large groups of servicemen, servicewomen, CFA, etc in the south end zone during Blake's years.

My season tickets in 1996 were $40 each.

Some group seating in the south end zone was $5.00 as recently as 1996 when Blake was HC. They couldn't sell those out, so they gave them away to places like Fort Sill. It wasn't uncommon to see large groups of servicemen, servicewomen, CFA, etc in the south end zone during Blake's years.

My season tickets in 1996 were $40 each.
Let me rephrase. I make it to Norman about once every 10-15 years, usually via airplane, so when you tack it on to the cost of airfare, rental car, hotel etc., $100-$200 for a ticket probably is OK, depending on the opponent. No way I'd pay that much for 6-7 games though. I think tickets to sporting events are now unfortunately priced for corporate entertainment or "one-time" attendance like I described.

Not NCAA FB, but MLB. When I was a Michigan teen in the early 70's, my buddy and I would take the bus from the suburbs to Tiger Stadium ($0.50 round trip bus fare), purchased double header "bleacher creature" tickets ($0.50) and fill up on hotdogs, chips and coke ($0.75).

I looked up 1973's $1.75 in today's value. That comes out to about $10.00. It demonstrates how out of proportion the cost of sporting events have become.

A friend who is a long time season ticket holder did not renew his tickets this year. Here it is almost July, and he received an email today asking, "Are you sure you don't want season tickets? They are still available."
As the saying goes" "Just win baby". Winning cures a lot of ills.

Keep in mind l lot of people are now out of work in Oklahoma because of the Oil/Gas bust. These people have families and can't afford 4 tickets right now. Trust me..... The stadium will be full for the 1st game against Akron.
You guys act like OU is coming off back to back 6-6 or losing seasons

Keep in mind l lot of people are now out of work in Oklahoma because of the Oil/Gas bust. These people have families and can't afford 4 tickets right now. Trust me..... The stadium will be full for the 1st game against Akron.
You guys act like OU is coming off back to back 6-6 or losing seasons

You're correct. I even am seeing that in my town this July 4th week. People are buying the $50 super-bombs and not the $100 mega-bombs like last year.

I think it is a mixture of reasons. The one you gave is likely the primary reason. Another being that people are not happy with the quality of football. Another is the hassle and traffic situation in Norman. It will be even worse this year. Another being that watching a game in the living room on a 60" LED TV is the way to watch a game now. And one more... the population of people who can afford the price is ageing rapidly. OU loses about 1300 ticket buyers every year based on age alone. The young fans cannot afford to buy these high-dollar tickets with the new American norm... low paying jobs. Or even worse, no job.

After reviewing the decade of the 70's on soonerstats, those were indeed some GOOD old days. 13 losses (including a few in post-season) in 10 years, a couple of undefeated seasons and 2 Nattys were most definitely some good times, Glory days...

Once upon a time, I went to the Orange Bowl for University of Detroit-Miami game. It was Detroit's last season fielding an NCAA football team. I bought an end zone ticket for 50 cents while presenting my USAF picture ID. I sat on the 38 yard line. Miami won.

Once upon a time, I went to the Orange Bowl for University of Detroit-Miami game. It was Detroit's last season fielding an NCAA football team. I bought an end zone ticket for 50 cents while presenting my USAF picture ID. I sat on the 38 yard line. Miami won.

That's cool Sunburnt. What year was that? Heck, I lived in metro Detroit 1958 through 1980 and never even knew that the Univ. of Detroit had a football program. I did follow basketball when Dick Vitale was HC.

I believe 1964. The next year, a couple of the Detroit players played for Miami after transferring.

I arrived at Homestead AFB in time to watch the new Dodge and Plymouth 426 Hemis rule at the Daytona 500. So the football game could have been in 1964.

I left for Clinton-Sherman AFB OK in August 1966. In time to watch up close Coach McKenzie's only year at OU. I was on the flight line when Paul Harvey told me McKenzie was dead from a heart attack.

On the way to Oklahoma, I stopped in Tallahassee for lunch. The woman handed me a menu. I was stunned to see tea at $1.15. Tea was 15 cents circa 1966. Desegregation had just become law. The restaurant people fixed me good. I left hungry and thirsty.

Fitty, I was at that OSU game in '74. Lived in California but came to visit family over Tgiving and would have paid anything to get into the game. Think I paid $100 for two tickets for me and my brother in law. Froze my butt off but well worth it. Little Joe punt return one of the all time great plays I saw in Norman.

ADVERTISEMENT