ADVERTISEMENT

OU has the best chance as any outside of tOSU for the playoffs in 2016...

JMISASANO

Sooner starter
May 4, 2012
Next season...

On offense, OU will catch a lot of conference teams off guard with their new scheme, new signs, new playcalling within an offense that finds a way to get their lesser talented rosters in space pressuring defenses.

That approach with an actual talented roster can be a force to defend as there is no film to spend the summer preparing to defend it.

In other words, OU's offense will take many teams by surprise in 2015.

On defense, OU will be more experienced and will be asked for the first time in three years to actually defend what the offense is able to produce on the field.

That scenario has a good chance of hurdling non-conference and conference teams:

*Tennessee on the road, no film to prep for basically, we have a chance.

*Texas neutral site, enough said.

*Baylor on the road, late in the season, we have a chance.

*TCU at home, late in the season, we have a chance.

*OSU enough said.

Inside & Outside Receivers: Andrews, Meier, Shepard, Neal, Quick, Bennett, Young, Westbrook, Humphrey, Mead, Todd, Smallwood

RBs: Perine, Ross, Ford, Mixon, Brooks, Anderson

That is some deep skilled talent never seen on an OU roster at one time since Bob Stoops has been on campus.

Lincoln Riley said he believes his QBs need to be distributors of the ball to playmakers in space.

Well, he is going to have fun with these playmakers imho.

This post was edited on 1/20 8:17 AM by JMISASANO

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Agreement
Originally posted by barkingwater2000:
highly unlikely

Odds to Win 2016 College Football Championship Game at Bovada as of January 15:

Ohio State 5/1

TCU 15/2

Alabama 9/1

Baylor 14/1

Oklahoma 16/1

Oregon 16/1

USC 16/1

Auburn 20/1

Florida State 20/1

Georgia 20/1

LSU 20/1

Michigan State 20/1

Notre Dame 20/1

Clemson 25/1

Stanford 25/1

UCLA 25/1

This post was edited on 1/20 9:47 AM by JMISASANO

I will be pleased if the Sooners win every game that they are favored. That would be a great way to begin the comeback! If Bob can keep from losing as a favorite, he will surely win a few as a dog. If so, there's always a chance for the big prize.

Reactions: OUMarvelOUsMarvin
I highly doubt that Riley's offense is going to catch any current B12 team off guard. Heck its not like other teams don't have the same type of offenses. The success of this team this coming season all hinges on the defense improving. If the defense doesn't improve they will ultimately cost the team a game when the offense is unable to match Baylor and TCU point for point. Heck that could also apply to OSU and KSU this coming season.

I think Riley will do fine but I also think it is going to take a few games before it starts hitting on all cylinders. Of course in the end the success of Riley's offense will hinge on finding a QB who can do what Riley expects him to. Mayfield may just be that man since he is familiar with it but I think like many others I will just take the "Wait and see approach" before anointing Riley as the next great Sooner OC or even Mayfield as the next great QB for our Sooners.

Originally posted by DallasSooner:
I'm not even going to read this.How do we know you didn't?
wink.r191677.gif

JM, Defense wins championships. With our QB, or lack of QB, and a porous defense, can we expect Riley's first year offense to outscore every opponent? Probably not. With luck we get past TN, TX, TCU, & osu and have a good season, but don't make the playoffs. ,

Sep 5th - Akron - Win
Sep 12th - At Tennessee - Win
Sep 19th - Tulsa - Win
Open Date
Oct 3rd - West Virginia - Win
Oct 10th - Texsa - Win
Oct 17th - At Kansas State - Win
Oct 24th - Texas Tech - Win
Oct 31st - At Kansas - Win
Nov 7th - Iowa State - Win
Nov 14th - At Baylor - Loss
Nov 21st - TCU - Loss
Dec 1st - At OSU - Win

Of the teams we lost to, how many of those have a returning QB or will be an upgrade at that position? I know Baylor loses Petty. Does TCU's QB return? I know he was a junior. Kansas State loses Waters. Because just what I've seen from Mayfield, I'd say he's a huge upgrade over Trevor Knight, at least in the passing game. And he isn't a statue...he can run some. I think he's tailor-made for our new OC's system.

We gave a good TCU team all they could handle at their house, and still only lost by four. Everything in the world that could have gone wrong for us in the kicking game did against Kansas State, and we only lost by one. We kind of just gave up against OSU after a big lead with about 5:00 left in the game, had a completely bone-headed decision by our head coach and we lost in overtime.

Baylor kicked the crap out of us. At home. In all facets of the game. Even though they lose a two-year starter in Bryce Petty I'd call that a loss next year. But there are enough other things happening to the other teams (loss of players, change of playing venue) that Baylor and TCU are the only two I'd say we'll lose next year. And that's only if Boykin stays. If he leaves, I'd take OU over the Horned Frogs.

And for the record, we absolutely boat race Texas in Dallas.

It will be the first time since 1999 Bob Stoops loses two consecutive regular season games.

10-2, and we go to a decent bowl (non-BCS).

The assumptions made by the OP are mind-boggling:

"On offense ...new playcalling within an offense that finds a way to get their lesser talented rosters in space pressuring defenses."

What about our own "lesser talented" WR corps? NO ONE can even answer who our #2 is right now, and its not because they are all so talented.

"On defense...will be asked for the first time in three years to actually defend what the offense is able to produce on the field."

LMAO. The offense wasn't able to produce vs Texas, Baylor, Clemson..and if what you said about "asked to actually defend" since 2012, then Bob should be fired for dereliction of duty.

But the only Q I want answered right now: WHO IS OUR DB COACH that is going to turn around our 117th ranked pass D?

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Jeepers Weepers, how soon we have forgotten 2013 and 2014 ... all I'm hoping for is that we compete for the Big XII championship which will be a tough road with a new OL and road games with most of the competition. It's been 4 years since we've won outright. The last time (4 years ago) we tied it was with KSU who beat us in Norman so they were the true champion.

How is it possible this post is receiving top billing?

This post was edited on 2/3 6:38 PM by PryorFan

Reactions: felo
Originally posted by MiccoMacey:
Sep 5th - Akron - Win
Sep 19th - Tulsa - Win
Open Date
Oct 10th - Texsa - Win
Nov 21st - TCU - Loss
Dec 1st - At OSU - Win
Wow. What are people smoking this weekend? How anyone has a belief we'll win the Big12 or suffer two losses is just lying to themselves. Here is reality:

Sep 5th - Akron - Win - Sure hope we don't get punked ala Michigan/Appalachian State - that'll never happen to us, right?
Sep 12th - At Tennessee - Loss
Sep 19th - Tulsa - Win
Open Date
Oct 3rd - West Virginia - Toss Up
Oct 10th - Texas - Loss
Oct 17th - At Kansas State - Loss
Oct 24th - Texas Tech - Toss Up
Nov 21st - TCU - Loss
Dec 1st - At OSU - Loss

Reality is 6-6 worst case, or 8-4 best case.

We need to hit the ground running before our conference games start. We will know more about the QB after the Tennessee game. I am more worried about the defense than anything. Still have visions in my head from last season.

I laugh every time I read the title of this and I hope it stays pinned at the top through next season.

Originally posted by JMISASANO:
Next season...

On offense, OU will catch a lot of conference teams off guard with their new scheme, new signs, new playcalling within an offense that finds a way to get their lesser talented rosters in space pressuring defenses.

That approach with an actual talented roster can be a force to defend as there is no film to spend the summer preparing to defend it.

On defense, OU will be more experienced and will be asked for the first time in three years to actually defend what the offense is able to produce on the field.

That scenario has a good chance of hurdling non-conference and conference teams:

*OSU enough said.

Inside & Outside Receivers: Andrews, Meier, Shepard, Neal, Quick, Bennett, Young, Westbrook, Humphrey, Mead, Todd, Smallwood

Add: Van Jefferson, Dominique Reed (maybe)

That is some deep skilled talent never seen on an OU roster at one time since Bob Stoops has been on campus.

Lincoln Riley said he believes his QBs need to be distributors of the ball to playmakers in space.

Remember...it's puff..puff..pass. Please share what you are smoking with the rest of us. We could easily lose 6 games next year......easily.

Originally posted by stuck in del rio:
Sep 5th - Akron - Win
Sep 19th - Tulsa - Win
Open Date
Oct 10th - Texsa - Win
Nov 21st - TCU - Loss
Dec 1st - At OSU - Win
Wow. What are people smoking this weekend? How anyone has a belief we'll win the Big12 or suffer two losses is just lying to themselves. Here is reality:

Sep 5th - Akron - Win - Sure hope we don't get punked ala Michigan/Appalachian State - that'll never happen to us, right?
Sep 19th - Tulsa - Win
Open Date
Oct 10th - Texas - Loss
Nov 21st - TCU - Loss
Dec 1st - At OSU - Loss

THIS ^^^

CA Sooner 56,

I'd be willing to make a gentlemen's bet that OU does better than 8-4 in the regular season. Meaning for me to win, OU must win a minimum of nine games during the regular season.

No money, no sig bet, nothing to win or lose...just a friendly wager between two OU fans on the success of OU football in 2015.

Very respectfully,
Micco

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Originally posted by OU50:
Originally posted by JMISASANO:
Next season...

*OSU enough said.

Remember...it's puff..puff..pass. Please share what you are smoking with the rest of us. We could easily lose 6 games next year......easily.
OU could easily, easily win 11 games. But I get what you're saying.

Originally posted by stuck in del rio:

Sep 5th - Akron - Win
Sep 19th - Tulsa - Win
Open Date
Oct 10th - Texsa - Win
Nov 21st - TCU - Loss
Dec 1st - At OSU - Win

Sep 19th - Tulsa - Win
Open Date
Oct 10th - Texas - Loss
Nov 21st - TCU - Loss
Dec 1st - At OSU - Loss

Actually, what you have predicted is a worst case of 4-8 and a best case of 6-6.
I don't think you actually believe your predictions.

I think the chances of us going 6-6 or having a losing record are exactly the same as us going to the playoff. Neither are very realistic. We will be in that 9-3 ball park i'm sure.

Sep 5th - Akron - Win
Sep 19th - Tulsa - Win
Open Date
Oct 10th - Texsa - Win
Nov 21st - TCU - Loss
Dec 1st - At OSU - Win
vs Akron - Win
@ Ten - Toss Up but let's say its a W
vs Tulsa - Win
vs WVU - Win
vs Texas - Toss Up
@ K-State - Win
vs Texas Tech - Win
@ Kansas - Win
vs Iowa State - Win
@ Baylor - Loss
vs TCU - Loss
@ oSu - Toss Up

I see 7 likely wins, 3 toss ups, and two likely losses.

I like our experience against Tennessee early but being on the road makes it a coin flip.
Red River Rivalry is always a coin flip.
Pokes finished hot they've got a lot of question marks same as us. Road game makes it a toss up.

I don't like the odds against Baylor and TCU but anything can happen and we still have plenty of guys on our roster that can ball. Feed the beast (Perine) and lets see what happens.

I'll predict 9-3 or 10-2. We sneak out of Knoxville with a W, lose a heart breaker to Texas (barf), get outdueled by Baylor, upset TCU to ruin their perfect season, and get back on track owning the Pokes with a close win.

Tennessee has assembled some big time talent, with back-to-back Top Five recruiting classes. Still young, but they are very capable of beating Oklahoma this upcoming season.

CA Sooner 56,

I'd be willing to make a gentlemen's bet that OU does better than 8-4 in the regular season. Meaning for me to win, OU must win a minimum of nine games during the regular season.

No money, no sig bet, nothing to win or lose...just a friendly wager between two OU fans on the success of OU football in 2015.

Very respectfully,
Micco
If I bet the sun would come up tomorrow, it would NOT. :)
I just hope and pray you are correct. I can see them being worlds better, but the schedule is fairly daunting.
Guess time will tell.

Originally posted by CA Sooner 56: If I bet the sun would come up tomorrow, it would NOT. :)
I just hope and pray you are correct. I can see them being worlds better, but the schedule is fairly daunting.
Guess time will tell.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

OK. We'll just have to wait and see.

To me, it'll all come down to the defense. How much stride we can make on that side of the ball will be crucial.

Next season...

*OSU enough said.

ADVERTISEMENT