ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What's your hometowns history?

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I'm from Catoosa , Ok and the name Catoosa means" town below the hill" in Cherokee. think it's new name is is hill above the Hard Rock Casinio. LOL. There is a county in Georgia by the same name.

Catoosa is the furthest inland port in the USA. Route 66 runs straight through the town. Kind of boring facts........

Legends of K2C: The famous Perryman Ranch in the late 1800's controlled most of the ranch land in and around Catoosa. The Perryman Ranch was head quartered near what is known as Utica Square on 21st and Utica in Tulsa today. The Perryman family refused to sell land to the early railroads at the bend of the river on the Verdigris river. The railroad eventually ended up in Tulsey Town at the bend of the Arkansas river.

Our cemetery is named Dick Duck. He was related to Blue Duck that was married to Belle Starr. Blue Duck was hanged by Judge Parker, the famous Hanging Judge from Fort Smith. Blue Duck became famous from his caricature in the movie "Lonesome Dove".

I live in a valley just a few miles NW on Bird Creek. I'm one mile from a story that E.D. Nix, the first territory Marshall from Oklahoma wrote about in his book.

Basically went like this;

Captured the female accomplish of one said Frank Baker wanted for stealing horses, at the caves on Bird Creek, a couple of miles from Catoosa.. Baker escaped by diving into the creek and leaving said women for capture. He was later involved with a gang in New Mexico headed by Billy the Kid and killed by local law enforcement.

I have more, but what can you tell us about your home town?

I'm from Lawton.

It's uh, rumored to be either Apache or Comanche for...'where good times go to die'.
ohwell.r191677.gif

I was born in Tulsa and there were some Perrymans that lived on my street that seemed to act like possibly an offshoot of the no doubt older Perryman family described.

One of the many things Tulsey town is infamous for that I have researched a lot was the race riot that is ranked as one of the worst in America regarding loss of life, property destruction and marshal law in the 1920's.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Originally posted by Soonersincefitty:
I'm from Lawton.

It's uh, rumored to be either Apache or Comanche for...'where good times go to die'.
ohwell.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Soonersincefitty:
I'm from Lawton.

ohwell.r191677.gif
Comanche country fitty? Give us some history. You have to know some stories passed down from family.

Although I was born in Lawton and do remember things that occurred there in 1944 and 45 when the US Army dominated the area, I moved to a little town near Chattanooga, TN in late 45, early 46. I returned to Oklahoma in 55 to a town that is erroneously called Cordell, OK. The actual name of the town is New Cordell, OK, named after a postal employee. It was named New Cordell when they got the original general store to move to a new site which had better water.

There was a little of the OKC/Guthrie type dispute over whether Cloud Chief (home of Dale Mitchell, last hitter in the Don Larsen perfect game) or Cordell would be the county seat. The Washita County voters did vote to move the county seat to Cordell, but that was overruled by the Oklahoma territorial court. So, a bunch of the good citizens of Cordell raided the country seat in Cloud Chief, stealing the records, and burning it down. A couple of years later, they did get the US Congress to vote that Cordell was the county seat of Washita County. Cloud Chief lost its charter in 1964 and is now a ghost town.

The newspaper of Cordell, the Beacon, was originally the Cloud Chief Beacon until it moved in 1900. Most of the little towns around Cordell have consolidated their school systems with Cordell, and few remnants of the towns remain. With the population declining from about 3549 in 1950 to around 2910 in 2010, the town is struggling to survive, having lost its three banks and most of its independent retail community.

Duncan Okla. here, until the 8th grade then off to Texas. Carey Murdock and I went to school together. Also home to a Quinn Grovey, growing up he was the talk of the town as far as athletes go. Believe he went off to Ark. and also a home to a little company called Haliburton

My contribution:

My paternal grandfather tried to play a roll in the founding of Arkansas Colored, OK in the southern part of Chickasaw territory. Mostly Freedmen settled there. The town post office closed in 1912. Not a trace of Arkansas Colored remains today. At some point, my grandfather moved up to Choctaw land Haskell County where I was born. My father was born at Brooken, which today lies under Lake Eufaula.

U. S. marshal Bass Reeves was one of the greatest lawmen to ever pin on a badge. He was ambidextrous and the Indians saw this as a gift from the Great Father. A "black white man" and "brother" to the Buffalo soldiers, Reeves traveled freely throughout Indian Territory. Reeves is buried near Muskogee.

Bell Starr once got wind Reeves had a warrant for her arrest. She quickly turned herself in to Fort Smith authorities.

Oklahoma has more black American founded towns than all other states combined. Many are long gone, including Old Vinita, Chase, and Canadian Colored. Langston, et al, soldiers on.

When Oklahoma became a state, there were more blacks in Oklahoma than Indigenous Americans, more blacks than first and second generation Europeans. Oklahoma's 1990 census showed African-American at only 7.1 percent. Mostly through intermarriage with Indo Europeans, we have faded to white. I'm among the last of the Fort Gibson and Fort Sill Band of black Indians.

Greensburg, KS, named after Cannonball Green. Used to be known as the site of the world's largest hand dug well. Basically a really big hole in the ground to get water, but people paid money to go down the well... Till a rather large lady had a heart attack down there and they almost couldn't get her out.

In May of '07 95% of the town was damaged by an EF5 tornado. The west half of the town only had a couple houses left standing. The court house had a hole in the roof from a car that flew 3 stories high. The town rebuilt with a green initiative that has brought tons of publicity and recognition. Way more than a whole in the ground ever did.

I really don't have much to offer here except an anecdotal story.

I went to a Powwow as a 'guest' of a full blood Comanche fellow just outside of Anadarko, Ok.

There were probably 400 in attendance. We're eating traditional Indian food, the fry bread rocked, and the booze was flowing. This was in the late sixties when drinking was hip and smart, long before the ugly thing it became. ;)

As the evening wore on, the stomp dances were in full swing, I kept getting more and more scrutinized as the WASP that I clearly was. Large, imposing fellows kept asking me..."Who are you here with?"
I'd point out my friend across the way and they'd actually go ask him if it were so.
Nothing really bad happened except by the time we left I'd positioned myself very close to my host, just to expedite the justification for my presence.
It was a learning experience for sure.

If you are from Washita County in which Cordell happens to be the county seat, thanks to the art of theft of the records from Cloud Chief, your family often has its roots in the small towns of the county. Most of my family originated from the Sentinel and Lone Wolf area (Lone Wolf being in Kiowa County). My mother went to Port High School which was the largest school district in the nation at the time (area).

http://www.okgenweb.org/~okwashit/history/port.htm

If you look at the size of the school, it was the single most imposing structure in several counties at the time. The foundation is still there, but it is so covered by prairie grasses that it is difficult to find. The school disappeared in the forties. The natural enemy of Sentinel High School since they were often different parts of the same extended family, Port consisted entirely of a agricultural population. Sentinel had the city folks in a town that had about 2,000 in its heyday.

Near Port was another rural school, Retrop, which is now a ghosttown. Retrop was named after the original postal officer, as were many of the towns of the area. Since there was already a Porter in the Oklahoma Territory, they weren't permitted to name the town Porter. So, the postmaster, Porter, simply reversed the name, Retrop.

http://redriverhistorian.com/retrop.html

In the northeastern part of the county (Port being in the southwestern), there is a little town of about 140 named Colony or The Colony. The old tales of the county that teenagers tell is that it is named after an old nudist colony, and newcomers are often taken for a tour to look at the nudists, which they discover is another form of a snipe hunt. The town was named after the Seger Colony that was an Indian Colony that preceded statehood, existing for Arapaho and Cheyenne.

Besse is a little town barely north of Cordell that has about 150 people. The stores are gone, and the school system consolidated with Cordell in the fifties. It is primarily a collection of homes for local farmers and a few who work in surrounding cities like Cordell or Clinton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessie,_Oklahoma

Foss was barely known when I was in highschool. But, they grew rapidly with the development of Clinton-Sherman Air Force Base which caused the development of a lot of small towns into larger communities while it was open. When they also completed Foss Lake, Foss was suddenly a little mecca. I had a cousin who was the president of a little bank that opened in Foss, only to close not long thereafter when Clinton-Sherman closed.

https://oklahoma.rivals.com/compose.asp?sid=895&fid=28&style=2&rid=179113323&tid=179113323

There really wasn't a Burns Flat in the mid-fifties. It was just a small hamlet on the way north from Dill City, another small hamlet. Then, the Strategic Air Command built Clinton-Sherman Air Force Base which housed a B-52 wing on the western edge of Burns Flat. Since they hadn't built base housing yet, and Burns Flat had so few homes, the military personnel lived all over Washita, Custer, and Beckham Counties. Burns Flat became a little metropolis with a lot of money due to the highly-paid (relative to farmers) civilian employees associated with an Air Force Base. Then, the base was withdrawn, and Burns Flat became the home of the resulting civilian air park which is better than it had been, but not what it was while the base was open. It now is affiliated with Dill City in the Burns Flat/Dill City School System.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burns_Flat,_Oklahoma

Dill City was a crossroads that wasn't even on any of the highways. The highway from Cordell to Elk City crossed the highway from Sentinel to Burns Flat just to the northwest of the town, but it didn't actually go through the town which was very unusual for the highways in small towns. Usually, the highway was main street. When I was in highschool, a tornado destroyed half of Dill City, leaving areas of the town with concrete platforms where houses had stood. Immediately after the tornado, people came out of their cellars to dinner tables that were still in place and on which the food as still hot. Since my father was in the Red Cross, I went with him to Dill City with our bandages and splints, finding that nobody had been scratched. We had been beaten there by the Mennonite Grey Ladies who had doughnuts and clothes--already. How did they make doughnuts that fast?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dill_City,_Oklahoma

Towns of Washita County

http://www.okgenweb.org/~okwashit/towns.htm

During the time that I was in highschool, most of the smaller communities were consolidating school systems, many with Cordell. The one school system that we really wanted was the Rocky school system, primarily because highschool basketball, not football, was king in Washita County, and Rocky was the best Class C basketball team in the state. If the highschool enrollment fell below forty, they would be forced to consolidate with Cordell. I guess that we should have paid a couple of families to move to Cordell because they always had about forty-two. But, they also had a 6-4 guard, Gary Hill, who led the nation in scoring at Oklahoma City University when it was still a power. He spent a couple of years with the San Francisco Warriors. If he wasn't enough, they had 6-6 Bud Koper a year behind him who was probably a better shooter, and he was also a superstar at OCU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Hill_%28basketball%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_Koper

There were a couple of other Kopers at OCU, but none of the quality of Gary and Bud.

Other than having Gary and Bud, the only thing reason that Rocky existed was as a gas station between Hobart and Cordell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky,_Oklahoma

My maternal (white) grandfather farmed 3 miles from Retrop. When we hauled a cotton load to the gin, we always had to stop for a "sody pop" at Squirly's. We went to Elk City on Saturday night to the Rex theater as I recall.

I was stationed at Clinton-Sherman before it closed. I stayed in Elk City near the cable TV tower. We had four TV channels.

Some airmen chose to live in Sentinel because the system there carried KSWO ch 7 Lawton, along with OKC stations.

I once approached Burns Flat from the south on state highway 44 at 140 MPH. We slowed for the RR tracks. The car? 1967 Plymouth GTX 440 ci V-8 with tourqe flite transmission. I never hung out at Foss, but heard a little about it.

Lone Wolf was the great Kiowa medicine man. A one time perceived act of cowardice probably prevented Chief Satank of the Kiowa from sharing status with Quanah Parker and Geronimo in history books.

Satank had the wimpy mustache. My father taught me to never go near the Indians without a clean shave.

Yo Sunburnt, nice little hot rod there, the GTX.

Those would be an excellent project car to pursue.
As a 'car guy', emeritus I try to keep up with trends in old American muscle cars.
This one unfortunately was made in such high numbers that you can get one now for around 5000 pretty much in good repair and ready to drive.

Of course, and without knowing, if there is a convertible option then all bets are off on the 5K estimate. FYI.

Originally posted by Sunburnt Indian:
Lone Wolf was the great Kiowa medicine man. A one time perceived act of cowardice probably prevented Chief Satank of the Kiowa from sharing status with Quanah Parker and Geronimo in history books.

Satank had the wimpy mustache. My father taught me to never go near the Indians without a clean shave.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf,_Oklahoma

Lone Wolf was actually the home of my paternal extended family. It was a largely Germanic community, many of whom spoke German in their homes and schools in the early 1900s. As recently as the 1970s, the local grocery store still sold German sausages made in the community as well as sauerkraut and salt pork which the local Americanized Germans assumed was like it had been in Germany. In Germany, a primary preservative is vinegar, and the Germans boil it off before they use it. They don't even have anything resembling bacon, much less salt bacon, and their meats are boiled with multiple changes of water to get rid of the vinegar (acetic acid). Similarly, the Germans rarely eat anything that we would call sauerkraut. The Germans slice their cabbage somewhat thinner than what you would see in canned sauerkraut. Then, they boil off the vinegar in which the kraut is stored until there is just barely a hint of the taste of the vinegar, barely sour. Then, they spice it, often with peppercorns or papyrika. It ends up being a rather delicate flavor that is highly seasoned. This is not what you buy in Lone Wolf, although the store is now closed.

The town stands on the north end of Lake Altus, or Lake Lugert as the locals call it, Lugert being the town that was buried beneath the water and surfaces each time there is a major drought. It is about midway between Lone Wolf and the dam. For a purely agricultural town, the local farms are interesting in that they made a much more extensive use of a canal system that extended from the lake to irrigate their cotton.

In the twenties and thirties, it was difficult to go from Sentinel to Lone Wolf without passing a farm that had at least one of my maternal or paternal relatives. Family reunions tended to be rather large.

Thirteen miles east of Cordell was a little German/Russian Mennonite community by the name of Corn. Originally, it had been called Korn which is German for grain. The name was changed at the time of the anti-German turmoil during World War to Corn. The largest symbol of the community is the large Mennonite Church that you can see for over a mile in the rolling plains as you approach Corn as it sits in the middle of the road. At one time, most of the settlers spoke German, but that ended after the war. The Corn Bible Academy, a private Mennonite school still exists. The public school, called Corn a few years ago and Washita Heights more recently, closed about ten years ago as it consolidated with Cordell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn,_Oklahoma

I spent a lot of time plowing in Corn because they paid double what other farmers would pay if you worked hard. They also brought a Dr. Pepper and sweet roll to the tractor at about ten and four, as well as serving a hot lunch.

Cloud Chief, originally named Tacola, was the original county seat of County H at a time that the counties in Oklahoma were named A-H. When it became the county seat, it grew to about three thousand residents almost immediately. In a protracted fight with Cordell, Cloud Chief lost the status of county seat by act of US Congress after the territory kept siding with Cloud Chief.

After losing its status as the seat, Cloud Chief declined steadily in population, losing its school to consolidation with Cordell in 1957. Now, it is listed as a ghost town, and only a few tattered buildings stand where a town had been, somewhat off any of the state highways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Chief,_Oklahoma

Although Canute is in Washita County, it has had almost nothing to do with Cordell. It is actually closer to Clinton which is a much larger shopping town, and isn't all that far from Elk City, about halfway in between. Since Canute was on Route 66, it built as a traffic stop along a busy highway, and Clinton-Sherman was nearby, providing more business. It became somewhat of a thriving community until Clinton-Sherman closed and IH-40 was built and bypassed the town. It has declined in population to about 550 people. But, it still has its own school system, one of few Washita County towns to do so. It is distant enough from Cordell that nobody is that anxious to consolidate since the children would go to the county seat rather than nearby Clinton which is in Custer County. At one time, Canute was well-known for girls basketball, and the county tournament held in Cordell annually until about 1958, often had as many as seven or eight teams listed in the top ten in the state in B or C girls and boys. The tournaments were actually stopped because of fighting amongst the fans after games.

Cordell was the only highschool large enough to have a football team, and it was primarily a basketball school. It was rare to have a good football team. Curiously, Cordell was probably the only town in the county that did not have highschool baseball. But, the other towns weren't large enough to field an American Legion team during the summer. So, Cordell's legion team was a collection of all of the highschool baseball players from nearby county highschools. Players from The Colony, Corn, Cowden, Dill City, Burns Flat, Cloud Chief, Besse, and Rocky played on the Cordell team. There was even a kid from Binger, some thirty miles away. You would think that such an all-star team might be pretty good, and it probably was. But, it was in a league with Elk City (national champions in 1952 or 53), Altus, Clinton, Hobart, and Mangum which had finished #2 in the nation when they had Lindy and Von McDaniel. I went to a tournament once and played against three pitchers who would be in the major leagues within two years. They tended to recruit from large areas for their teams. We were usually about fifth in the six-team league. We lost our team when the Cordell legion couldn't find anyone to act as the coach, and Dill City took over the team. We were disappointed since there was this kid from Binger named Bench that we were waiting to join our team that year.

If you consider what the state was like just after the runs, it isn't surprising that the first stores were often connected with the post offices, and postmasters tended to be the center of activity. Since transportation wasn't available, it shouldn't be surprising that the second largest highschool in the state of Oklahoma (or territory) was not in an urban area, but in a farm community with no towns within miles. It is fascinating that they were determined to build a school system under the circumstances. But, the existence of Port, the largest school district in the nation at ninety square miles (about 9.5 X 9.5 miles) in the middle of farms tells what the area was like at the time. Indeed, it is quite possible that some kids had to walk over four miles to school every day. My botany professor as a freshman at OU described Cordell as "you cross the river and drive ninety miles in a straight line at the end of which you run into a courthouse in the middle of the road." Well, that was seventy years after the runs. After the runs, the most imposing figure was a two-story highschool in the middle of nowhere with no town around.

That carried over into other locations that were unique to the type of community. It was wheat country, with some cotton. There weren't a lot of people, and the only passenger train that I remember was the Doodlebug that went from Altus north to somewhere. But, the railroad was primarily concerned with moving agricultural products, for the most part, wheat. It was a long way to haul wheat from the fields to Sentinel or Lone Wolf or Cordell, and it was often hauled by horse drawn wagons. You needed other sites for those elevators that were closer to the farms. Every farmer in the Lone Wolf, Sentinel, Hobart area knew of a little "populated area" called Cambridge.

http://oklahoma.hometownlocator.com/ok/kiowa/cambridge.cfm

Cambridge didn't actually qualify as a town. It was a rather large grain elevator that was right on the railroad on the south side of a county road, a dirt road, about a mile or two west of a paved highway 44. The highway 9 on the map is the highway that runs along the south side of Norman. The only thing other than the grain elevator was a general store on the north side of the dirt road that was run by a man and his wife for about sixty years. It closed when they died. When farmers in the area needed certain items, they often sent the kids to the store in the pickup. The kids might have been nine years old, and couldn't go to Sentinel without getting arrested. But, nobody patrolled the dirt roads. Indeed, during the harvest season, most of the people waiting in the long line of trucks filled with wheat were kids. They were the only ones that the farmers could spare from work in the harvest. There might be forty trucks of wheat waiting at the elevator to be weighed and emptied, all of which were driven by kids under twelve. Impromptu baseball games often broke out in the field next to the elevator. Invariably, there would always be at least one or two horse drawn wagons of wheat in the line. A lot of this stopped with the growth of the use of combine crews that spent the summer cutting wheat from Texas to Canada.\, traveling north as it ripened. But, little stores and gas stations often dotted the farm communities around elevators hidden from highways.

Indeed, the only way that people knew where Lugert was after Lake Altus filled was the sign at the elevator that remained open about halfway down the lake. It remained open for several years after the town had been submerged. It had been built next to the railroad tracks on an elevated area. At the site of the elevator, the sign said Lugert, but the road disappeared into the water.

Oklahoma is in the Central Time Zone. Kenton, OK is in the panhandle. Kenton observes Mountain Time because of it's proximity to New Mexico.

I once met a young woman from Canute. Her name was Hugolene (Hugoline?). She was early twenties and had never sat foot in Texas. Texas state line is 47 miles away.

Clinton Oklahoma checking in here. Sleep where Elvis slept at the trade winds motel, Route 66 museum, lucky star casino. I graduated with Trent Smith and Tim Duncan was a grade ahead of us right before they went to OU and won a national championship. We played against both Jeremy Shockey and Brandon Daniels when they were at Ada in 2 of our 4 trips to the state championship games. We lost 2 and won 2 only after Ada went up to 5a at the time.

Originally posted by Mullclip22:
Clinton Oklahoma checking in here. Sleep where Elvis slept at the trade winds motel, Route 66 museum, lucky star casino. I graduated with Trent Smith and Tim Duncan was a grade ahead of us right before they went to OU and won a national championship. We played against both Jeremy Shockey and Brandon Daniels when they were at Ada in 2 of our 4 trips to the state championship games. We lost 2 and won 2 only after Ada went up to 5a at the time.
The TradeWinds in Elk City? Elk City used to be the host of the fifth largest rodeo in the world. It had, for that era, the biggest cowboy boot shop I had ever seen.

I was born in Anniston, Alabama. We moved from Anniston in 1953 when I was 7 years old. I've not been back but a few times, but about five years ago, my brother and I when back home to go to Talladega on the weekend of the big race where our dad was being honored by the Pioneers of Racing Museum there at Talladega Raceway. He was an old stock car driver that raced the southern circuit back in the late 40's and 50's. It was quite deal for us because the son of one another member of the Pioneers of Racing Hall of Fame and the son of our dad's sponsor where there as well. So my home town of Anniston, Alabama that may be remember most for the iron works, steel and pipe that was basically the cities economy and the awful mob bombings of a bus full of Freedom Riders in 1961, but I rather think of Anniston as a town that produced a member of the Hall of Fame of racing. My dad. Our family has donated old photos of our dad, his cars and other stuff including pics of him racing on the beach at Daytona for the website. It was a cool experience.

If I recall our discussion about our high school days...you're from Lawton Ike ?!?... I have a couple of years on you.

This post was edited on 2/25 8:19 PM by Oklabama

Oklabama, my g-g-great paternal grandparents lived in Morgan County with the Cherokee. They were forced to pack their bags for Oklahoma after President Jackson signed the "Indian Removal Act" of 1830.

I sometimes wonder if I'd be a big Tide fan without the move. On the other hand, without the president's signature, my father could not have been in Haskell County, Oklahoma for my mother to find. My mother migrated to Haskell County from Sevier County, Arkansas at age 18.

My fondest memories of Alabama was in the mid 'nineties when Alabama DOT contractors planted highway kilometer posts state wide. After a confusing highway bill from congress, Govenor Fob James had all the posts dug up. The Feds stepped in an had U. S. taxpayers remeasure all highways. Some regions replanted posts and some simply painted a mark every thousand meters along the fog line. State wide saw a post well off the shoulder at 5 km increments and facing the roadway. The replanted posts never got km numbers. My last visit to Alabama was early 2003.

The embarrassing part of my beloved Oklahoma? So many "Acmeville" or whatever CITY LIMITS signs. It's a CITY LIMIT. And the Wall Street Journal laughing at Oklahomans, just after the president of the Cowboy Hall of Fame sued the government for President Ford signing the metric measure changeover act.

I'm very familiar with Morgan County. I still have family that live in Decatur. I remember going to a lake up around that area.,...Guntersville. Very nice area of the state.

A slut backwards is Tulsa.

Probably every male kindergartener in NE Oklahoma knows that one, but I learned it from SoonerTulsan much later in life. ;) We're far more sophisticated over here on the west side of Oklahoma.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT