ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Think way back... who was your first 'Sports Idol' ?

That would have to be Mickey Mantle.
Dad talked about him all the time. An Okie et al.
I was two when he was a rookie for the Yankees, so I had a full diet of Mickey this, Mickey that.
It was almost a religion around our house.
Rightly so, he was the tits of MLB at that time.

Bud didn't have much choice. .The last two years in Houston, the Astrodome wasn't half full. He needed a new place to play, and the city didn't provide it until he left and they wanted to draw the NFL back.

My big complaint about all the pro sports is the true monopoly that wasn't the case back then. Because they leverage their cities into giving them ownership of the stadia, no competing leagues have a chance. Alternative leagues have been good for their sports. generally.

The three point shot was the idea of the ABA. The two point conversion came from the AFL. There were other innovations. The ABA sold offense. Basketball hadn't taken off yet. But George McGinnis, Dr J, Artis Gilmore, and a ton of other guys got their start in the ABA.

A ton of you players who couldn't make the NFL as rookies, became stars eventually in the AFL. Those days cannot now be replicated. I guess Bud was the last of the old original AFL owners who survived 40 years or more. Ralph Wilson outlived him by a year, but I believe had to reliquish control earlier. Both those guys and Lamar Hunt, all owned their teams more than 45 years. I don't think we'll ever see that happen again.

Bud Adams, like all of the owners wanted more & more from the Dome. He demanded changes, repairs, concessions, parking etc. He got it too. The original electronic scoreboard, the first of it's kind was removed to accomodate addtional seating in the Dome for the Bud Adams Oilers. But a few years later, he demanded more. Keep in mind the Astrodome was the first stadium built with 'suites'. But they weren't enough for him. He wanted more. He also had some serious issues with his paying fans and it pretty much went downhill when he fired Bum on New Year's Eve. I don't begrudge him for that though as that was his business. But you need to know that the citizens of Houston did not support building him a new stadium. Neither did the city. He left town with his team before he even had a place in Tenn built and ready. He courted Tampa Bay officials before the Bucaneers even existed. And he flaunted it too. The local government agencies did not extend his contract and basically sent him packing. Most didn't have issues with building a new stadium, the issue was building it for him. But low & behold, Houston got a new team, and built a new stadium and the fans, although starved for a championship, have really embraced the Texans.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
AJ has a ranch about 15 minutes north of me. When he was at the ranch, he usually ate lunch every day at the Mason Jar café, before it closed...nice guy from what I hear. He must have saved a lot of his winnings - his ranch is huge.

I have driven by the ranch a few times on the way to a lease we had some years back. I rember his days of owning AJ Foyt Chevrolet on S. Post Oak in Houston.

Micky Mantal who was known as a. Home run hitter although when needed to get on base he would hit from the left side and he would get a hit. He would put down a perfect bunt between the first and second baseman. Did you also know that he was very fast but he taped both of his knees before each game because of old football injuries.

Bud Adams, like all of the owners wanted more & more from the Dome. He demanded changes, repairs, concessions, parking etc. He got it too. The original electronic scoreboard, the first of it's kind was removed to accomodate addtional seating in the Dome for the Bud Adams Oilers. But a few years later, he demanded more. Keep in mind the Astrodome was the first stadium built with 'suites'. But they weren't enough for him. He wanted more. He also had some serious issues with his paying fans and it pretty much went downhill when he fired Bum on New Year's Eve. I don't begrudge him for that though as that was his business. But you need to know that the citizens of Houston did not support building him a new stadium. Neither did the city. He left town with his team before he even had a place in Tenn built and ready. He courted Tampa Bay officials before the Bucaneers even existed. And he flaunted it too. The local government agencies did not extend his contract and basically sent him packing. Most didn't have issues with building a new stadium, the issue was building it for him. But low & behold, Houston got a new team, and built a new stadium and the fans, although starved for a championship, have really embraced the Texans.

I see it a little differently. -- In 1987, Adams threatened to move the team to Jacksonville unless the Astrodome was "brought up to date." Not willing to lose the Oilers, Harris County responded with $67 million (and still paying for it today) in improvements to the Astrodome that included new Astroturf, 10,000 additional seats and 65 luxury boxes. These improvements were funded by increases in property taxes and the doubling of the hotel tax.
In 1995 Adams again lobbied the city for a new stadium, one with club seating and other revenue generators present in recently–built NFL stadiums.

The scoreboard was ripped out to appease Adams and in such a short period of time Adams is back with his left hand out and his right clenched fist demanding more tax payer money. I believe believe that is why people were angry.

However Houston fans should be mad a government officials who spent "our" money and did not bind Adams to a long term commitment to play in Houston. I believe this falls at the feet of the Harris County Judge and Commissioners Court for their lack of foresight.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
I see it a little differently. -- In 1987, Adams threatened to move the team to Jacksonville unless the Astrodome was "brought up to date." Not willing to lose the Oilers, Harris County responded with $67 million (and still paying for it today) in improvements to the Astrodome that included new Astroturf, 10,000 additional seats and 65 luxury boxes. These improvements were funded by increases in property taxes and the doubling of the hotel tax. In 1995 Adams again lobbied the city for a new stadium, one with club seating and other revenue generators present in recently–built NFL stadiums.

The scoreboard was ripped out to appease Adams and in such a short period of time Adams is back with his left hand out and his right clenched fist demanding more tax payer money. I believe believe that is why people were angry.

However Houston fans should be mad a government officials who spent "our" money and did not bind Adams to a long term commitment to play in Houston. I believe this falls at the feet of the Harris County Judge and Commissioners Court for their lack of foresight.

I can agree to that!

When I lived in Houston working for Ford, one of my accounts was Southwest Lincoln-Mercury owed by Bud Adams. Adams wasn't an active owner so I never actually met him during the three years I worked with his store. One day I was in a meeting with the general manager reviewing floorplan coverage when Adams burst into the GM's office and told us he needed the office "right now" and basically threw us out. The GM has very embarrassed but he shouldn't have been because it was clear that Adams was a jerk. BTW, Bud was born an Okie.

My first sport memories involve me watching the Dallas Cowboys on Sundays with my Dad in the 70's. So naturally, my idol was/still is Roger Staubach.

When I lived in Houston working for Ford, one of my accounts was Southwest Lincoln-Mercury owed by Bud Adams. Adams wasn't an active owner so I never actually met him during the three years I worked with his store. One day I was in a meeting with the general manager reviewing floorplan coverage when Adams burst into the GM's office and told us he needed the office "right now" and basically threw us out. The GM has very embarrassed but he shouldn't have been because it was clear that Adams was a jerk. BTW, Bud was born an Okie.

Bought my first car at SW Linc/Merc. A 67 Mustang ; )

First sports game I ever watched was game 6 of the '77 World Series, so you can probably guess who mine was. Been a pinstriper ever since. 10 year olds can be quite impressionable. :D

I was thinking about the OP and decided to bump the thread by saying a second sports idol of mine was, at least while he was active was Joe Namath.
Totally brash and confident. (and according to him quite the ladies man)
Him telling a heckler that the Jets would beat the Colts three days before Super Bowl III, then doing it was the stuff of legends.
He eventually had to retire after they beat the hell out of his knees, but man, the guy was fun to watch.

(Tarkenton was too, but, save that for another day)

I was thinking about the OP and decided to bump the thread by saying a second sports idol of mine was, at least while he was active was Joe Namath.
Totally brash and confident. (and according to him quite the ladies man)
Him telling a heckler that the Jets would beat the Colts three days before Super Bowl III, then doing it was the stuff of legends.
He eventually had to retire after they beat the hell out of his knees, but man, the guy was fun to watch.

(Tarkenton was too, but, save that for another day)

Joe Namath became my idol when he hit on Suzy Kolber on live national tv.

I assume most of you know Bud Adams' connection to Oklahoma. He was the first son of Boots Adams. The first president of Phillips Petroleum Company in Bartlesville after Frank Phillips himself. Boots and many other senior management of PPC were Kansas grads. Thus the minor league basketball team Phillips 66ers and their continued sponsorship of Big 12 basketball.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
WNAS, did you live near the dealership? My office was just up the street on Hillcroft. I was there '71-'73. I'm laughing because you are probably much younger than me.

Actually, by this time frame, the old man moved us to Stafford. A time frame when SugarCreek of Sugarland was still under development. I sure enjoyed that time frame of the Stafford, Missouri City, Sugarland. I can barely recognize the area these days.

Billy Sims
billy-sims.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT