ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Think way back... who was your first 'Sports Idol' ?

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
Now this thread shouldn't be strictly for Sooner athletes, although I would guess there would be quite a few. But this is a diverse board with many posters from all over. So think way back. Who was yours?

Mine would be Rusty Staub. I couldn't have been more than 5 yrs old, maybe even 4. Anyway, I remember my Dad taking me to a Colt 45's game. The Colt 45's had a few quality baseball players for a start up franchise team BTW. Staub, Joe Morgan and even Jimmy Wynn. They just couldn't afford to hang on to them as they were building a domed stadium back in the day. Anyway, I clearly remember him a s young boy. I have no idea whatever happened to them, but at the game, Dad bought a small pkg of B&W glossies of Staub (for autographs I imagine).

Oddly, being a fan of the sport of football never entered my life until I started playing at age 10.

Great question WNAS.
Mickey Lolich of the Detroit Tigers.
His performance in 67 and 68, a slump and then being the hero of the 68 World Series will never be forgotten. Denny McLain won a record 31 games in 68, but Lolich's 3 wins, 3 full games, little rest... against a great Cardinals team in the World Series lit my sports fuse.

Great question WNAS.
Mickey Lolich of the Detroit Tigers.
His performance in 67 and 68, a slump and then being the hero of the 68 World Series will never be forgotten. Denny McLain won a record 31 games in 68, but Lolich's 3 wins, 3 full games, little rest... against a great Cardinals team in the World Series lit my sports fuse.

Damn Curt Flood! Misjudged a two out line drive that gave the Tigers the winning runs... and and Lolich the win over my favorite pitcher of the day, Bob Gibson.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Mine would be a tie between a hall of famer and a guy half the people here never heard of.

The first football game I watched on TV start to finish was the 1959 NFL championship game, when Johnny Unitas and the Colts won the rematch of the greatest game ever played. On an old black and white tv, those old Colt uniforms just had something about them. He was my first football hero, and the first I really ever got to see play.

But in that same time frame, my favorite baseball player, was a short relief pitcher for the Pirates: Roy Face. AKA Elroy.Face. The Pirates were my favorite team, at least in part because living in Tulsa, my YMCA team in the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth grade was the Pirates.

DIdn't get so see them much on tv and I've never been to Pittsburgh. We only took the Tulsa Tribune back then, and they didn't ever carry box scores of the previous day's games. Only the T World did that. So what I had daily in the paper were standings and this list of league leaders in statistical categories of the top five guys in BA D, T, HR, SB, Hits, W, ERA. Maybe top five in each league.

That year, 1959, I turned eight years old in August. By then, Roy Face had won his first dozen decisions at least and ended up 17-0 by early September. I remember the Dodgers finally beat him, before he ended the year 18-1. I didn't realize it at the time, but he was a MLB player who most resembled my future stature. Maybe one of only two or three pitchers in baseball 5-9 or shorter. I ended up 5-10. But he had this confident strut about him and when I first saw number 26 on the mound, I was hooked. A year later, the Pirates beat the Yankees in about the biggest WS upset ever, though it's given little credit for that. Mazeroski's home run in the bottom of the ninth in game seven was the only time that's ever been done to win the Series. I was hooked for more than 20 years.

Face was the number one reason that the Pirates won that Series. Pittsburgh lost games two three and six by the lopsided scores of 16-3, 12-0 and 10-0, but the won the four contested games of the series, three of them because Danny Murtaugh put Face out there for two or three inning saves before Save was an official stat. The next year in the Topps card set tradition, each game of the previous season's World Series had a card of its own. I believe it was game five when the card was titled: Face Saves The Day. I still wonder if that was part of the reason that the term Save came into being for relief performance.

When we moved to Texas a year before the Dome was built, I talked my dad into going to my first Major League baseball game when the Pirates visited Houston in 1966 I believe. Robin Roberts, at the end of his multi team career, shut the Bucs out 3-0. I think Jim Owens got the save.

(Looked it up. It was August 16, 1965. Roberts was pitching his second game as an Astro player. And threw his second straight shutout in a complete game. So it was the first year of the Dome. And in four months, will be 50 years since. That is hard to fathom. Boring game. Had we chosen either of the next two nights, the Pirates won 8-6 and 8-7 with the Pirates leading early in both and then nearly blowing the lead both nights.Roy didn't pitch either game.)

So my two are Johnny U and Roy Face.

Last edited:
WNAS, the 1st person that came to my mind was George Blanda. I even wore his number(16) when I played football at OU. Okay, it was only intramural football but it was football - sort of.

After thinking about it some more I remembered someone way before 1960 Blanda. Pepper Gomez - wrestler. Old time Houston folks will remember the Sam Houston Coliseum and Friday night pro-wresting put on by Morris Seigel and announcer Paul Boesch. Gomez has to be the 1st because my father would watch wresting every Friday night.

Based on your Colt '45 mention I think of Roman Mejas. Those were the days -- Aspromonte, Spangler, Turk Farrell, Wynn, Staub, Joe Morgan, Unbricht. As a kid all those losses hurt.

Now this thread shouldn't be strictly for Sooner athletes, although I would guess there would be quite a few. But this is a diverse board with many posters from all over. So think way back. Who was yours?

Mine would be Rusty Staub. I couldn't have been more than 5 yrs old, maybe even 4. Anyway, I remember my Dad taking me to a Colt 45's game. The Colt 45's had a few quality baseball players for a start up franchise team BTW. Staub, Joe Morgan and even Jimmy Wynn. They just couldn't afford to hang on to them as they were building a domed stadium back in the day. Anyway, I clearly remember him a s young boy. I have no idea whatever happened to them, but at the game, Dad bought a small pkg of B&W glossies of Staub (for autographs I imagine).

Oddly, being a fan of the sport of football never entered my life until I started playing at age 10.

Baseball was king when I grew up in the 50's. As I look back there were very few major league franchises west of the Mississippi. I really don't know why I wasn't a fan of the Cardinals when I was a kid, because Tulsa had the triple A farm club and my Uncle took me often to the live games. In my teens I became a huge Cardinal fan, pro basketball and football junky, but pro baseball was what I idolized in the early years.

My team back then were the Phillies, don't ask me why. My heroes were two players, one already mentioned, Robin Roberts and a right fielder named Johnny Callison.

Although I never saw him play, I would say the sports figure I become "most aware of" and he seemed like an idol was OU's Tommy McDonald. Dad has a bunch of OU programs from the 50s and I devoured those things from cover to cover. Dad always talked about Tommy McDonald, so he seemed bigger than life to me. I remember seeing highlights of him when he was with the Phila. Eagles and he was the last guy to not wear a face mask in the NFL. I thought that was pretty cool and that he had to have been tougher than leather to play without a face mask.

My first OU idols were #11 Tinker Owens and Alvin Adams (33?)...I loved Tinker first because of his unique name, then because he was pretty good and played two positions - Alvin was my dad's favorite and so became mine, too.

My earliest non-OU idol was Mark Spitz....we share the same first name, and right around '72 when he won all those gold medals, I'm sitting in school at my desk...I must have been queasy and I threw up all over my desk...my buddy sitting somewhere behind me sees this and shouts 'Look, Mark Spitz'...this had to have been first grade.

Although I never saw him play, I would say the sports figure I become "most aware of" and he seemed like an idol was OU's Tommy McDonald. Dad has a bunch of OU programs from the 50s and I devoured those things from cover to cover. Dad always talked about Tommy McDonald, so he seemed bigger than life to me. I remember seeing highlights of him when he was with the Phila. Eagles and he was the last guy to not wear a face mask in the NFL. I thought that was pretty cool and that he had to have been tougher than leather to play without a face mask.

McDonald was also my father's favorite player. He loved his hustle. My father and I didn't communicate very well, which was the way it often was with the sons of dads who grew up in Oklahoma during the Depression. But we could bond over OU football. Dad would take his clock radio out of his bedroom and bring it into the living room to listen to OU football games before I knew what was going on. But in Tulsa I'd sit and listen with him some.

The Eagles were his favorite pro team when Tommy was in Philly. Maybe the signature player for Bud's teams.

Damn Curt Flood! Misjudged a two out line drive that gave the Tigers the winning runs... and and Lolich the win over my favorite pitcher of the day, Bob Gibson.

I watched the replay of Northrup's triple on YouTube yesterday. First time since 1968 that I watched it. Looks like Flood lost his footing when a spike dug in. Had that not happened, maybe, just maybe he could have fielded the play. That was some awesome baseball back then. I'd love to go back in time. Yes sir, Bob Gibson was incredible. That entire Cardinals team was made up of stars.

Reactions: veritas59
I watched the replay of Northrup's triple on YouTube yesterday. First time since 1968 that I watched it. Looks like Flood lost his footing when a spike dug in. Had that not happened, maybe, just maybe he could have fielded the play. That was some awesome baseball back then. I'd love to go back in time. Yes sir, Bob Gibson was incredible. That entire Cardinals team was made up of stars.

It's true that he stumbled a bit, but that was after he'd realized he misjudged the ball and was changing directions. If you watch, upon contact, he charged in and then realized he'd made a mistake and changed directions. He admitted as much later.

And yeah, before they planted trees to tame Tiger Woods, they lowered the mound to tame Bob Gibson.

Mickey Mantle, Prentice Gautt and Buddy Dial (All American at Rice).

Joe Torre, Warren Spahn and Hank Aaron - Milwaukee Braves 1961. My dad would not walk across the street to attend a free Super Bowl....my mom was a die hard fan of all sports. She took my younger brother and I to a Braves game on a sunny Saturday afternoon in Milwaukee. She inspired my unquenchable desire for all thing sports.

Funny thing about sports. I am one to remember where I was when certain milestones happened. I was in the TV department at a closed K Mart in Garden City, Michigan when Hank Aaron hit HR #715. We begged the manager to let us stay after closing to watch because "we don't have a television in our home" we told him. Actually, my brother and I wanted to see it happen on a color TV. We had only black and white TV at home. Ha ha ha. Downing sure got a horrible pitching assignment that night. Henry Aaron was one of the greats. Being a fan of the Tigers at the time, I never got to see him play live, a huge disappointment. Regular season Interleague play was still decades away from reality and I didn't get to see him when he went back to Milwaukee when they were still in the American League.

Last edited:
My first sports idol was Doak Walker. We lived in Dallas during my first 3 yrs. of grade school and the SMU "aerial circus"featuring Walker, Kyle Rote, Johnny Champion, Hershel Forrester, Gus Johnson, and Freddy Benners was the ticket in a town yet to have pro franchises.

I didn't know many young boys in elementary school from Oklahoma that were baseball fans in 1956 and didn't think Mickey Mantle was the greatest. For me, Mickey remained my top sports idol until his death. I've read everything I could find about him. I've watch every TV documentary/feature about him. I read other Yankee player's biographies knowing that there would be something about Mickey in it. The cable movie special " '61" is one of my favorite sports movie ever. I will have to say the book "Seven" was a blow to his image, but I'm certain that he was a lot like the author portrayed him, which wasn't very complimentary. I don't ever recall a book that described him in that manner, so I am hoping it wasn't all true. Regardless, I admire the way he went out. Note: My favorite Mickey quote. When he was asked how much he would be worth in today's market, Mick said, "Oh, about a million dollars". The interviewer questioned him saying something like "surely you would be worth much, much more than a million. Mick said, "well, I'm 65 years old". Arnie....is number two. Yeah, I'm an old fart.

Willie Mays. We used to listen to a NY radio broadcast of the Giants games. It was to hot to sleep and we would entertain ourselves with the old radio shows and the Giants games. I remained a Giants fan until the powers at be moved the team to San Francisco. The San Francisco Giants just didn't have that ring. It has been decades since I have paid any attention to major league game.

In my humble opinion "free agency" ruined all of the professional sports. I base my loyalty to players and not cities. Now the players are simply all about the money and they have no loyalty to anything except the all mighty dollar.

Roy, I have a longtime customer who has this incredible picture taken from centerfield in Yankee Stadium on an old timers day. It shows four great New York centerfielders, Mays, Snider, DiMaggio and Mantle, wakling toward the infield. All you see is their backs: 24, 5, 4, 7. It is a remarkable photo. Any baseball fan knows who they are, just from the numbers.

My friend is in his mid 70s and grew up a Giants fan in NY. When they moved to the coast, he became a Mets fan five years later. He had a little fan cameo in the 1969 WS video. But his favorite player was always the Say Hey Kid.

He even has a poster reporduced from a photograph from behind the plate of Mays first MLB home run. A cupie doll if you know who the HoF pitcher was who was the victim of the first of Willie's first without looking it up. I didn't know until Jim told me the story.

Last edited:
Willie Mays. We used to listen to a NY radio broadcast of the Giants games. It was to hot to sleep and we would entertain ourselves with the old radio shows and the Giants games. I remained a Giants fan until the powers at be moved the team to San Francisco. The San Francisco Giants just didn't have that ring. It has been decades since I have paid any attention to major league game.

In my humble opinion "free agency" ruined all of the professional sports. I base my loyalty to players and not cities. Now the players are simply all about the money and they have no loyalty to anything except the all mighty dollar.

"Free agency" applies to teams also. The Colts leaving Baltimore in the middle of the night. The Oilers telling Houston it's not Houston's team --- it's Bud Adam's team. And yet we continue to pay for their playground.

As an addendum, I guess I'd forgotten this little nugget about Mickey Mantle.

While still at Commerce, Mickey was so good at all sports, baseball, basketball and football, our own beloved OU offered him a football scholarship.
Mmm, damn small world.

(man, Bud Wilkinson and the Mick in the same sentence...that's almost sensory overload!)

Last edited:
WNAS, the 1st person that came to my mind was George Blanda. I even wore his number(16) when I played football at OU. Okay, it was only intramural football but it was football - sort of.

After thinking about it some more I remembered someone way before 1960 Blanda. Pepper Gomez - wrestler. Old time Houston folks will remember the Sam Houston Coliseum and Friday night pro-wresting put on by Morris Seigel and announcer Paul Boesch. Gomez has to be the 1st because my father would watch wresting every Friday night.

Based on your Colt '45 mention I think of Roman Mejas. Those were the days -- Aspromonte, Spangler, Turk Farrell, Wynn, Staub, Joe Morgan, Unbricht. As a kid all those losses hurt.

Don't forget the Rooster but he was an early Astro not Colt 45

Foy
Well since my Dad was always building race cars for the old Tulsa Speedway, I had some local racing heros and in those days the pinnacle event was Indy 500 and I liked AJ Foyt. As for Dad's influence on me re: the Sooners, Joe Don and Billy Vessels were larger than life.
Foyt was the King of racing here in Houston when I was a kid.

"Free agency" applies to teams also. The Colts leaving Baltimore in the middle of the night. The Oilers telling Houston it's not Houston's team --- it's Bud Adam's team. And yet we continue to pay for their playground.

Bud didn't have much choice. .The last two years in Houston, the Astrodome wasn't half full. He needed a new place to play, and the city didn't provide it until he left and they wanted to draw the NFL back.

My big complaint about all the pro sports is the true monopoly that wasn't the case back then. Because they leverage their cities into giving them ownership of the stadia, no competing leagues have a chance. Alternative leagues have been good for their sports. generally.

The three point shot was the idea of the ABA. The two point conversion came from the AFL. There were other innovations. The ABA sold offense. Basketball hadn't taken off yet. But George McGinnis, Dr J, Artis Gilmore, and a ton of other guys got their start in the ABA.

A ton of you players who couldn't make the NFL as rookies, became stars eventually in the AFL. Those days cannot now be replicated. I guess Bud was the last of the old original AFL owners who survived 40 years or more. Ralph Wilson outlived him by a year, but I believe had to reliquish control earlier. Both those guys and Lamar Hunt, all owned their teams more than 45 years. I don't think we'll ever see that happen again.

Well since my Dad was always building race cars for the old Tulsa Speedway, I had some local racing heros and in those days the pinnacle event was Indy 500 and I liked AJ Foyt. As for Dad's influence on me re: the Sooners, Joe Don and Billy Vessels were larger than life.

AJ has a ranch about 15 minutes north of me. When he was at the ranch, he usually ate lunch every day at the Mason Jar café, before it closed...nice guy from what I hear. He must have saved a lot of his winnings - his ranch is huge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT