ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Scary Hypothetical

In the scenario you painted, you don't know if the intruders are armed or pranksters. It could be either. If they are armed and you alert them, then you have lost your leverage. No one has the right to break in to your home in the middle of the night. Your wife and kids are at risk. You arm yourself for protection and to keep you and your family safe. You pull the trigger with the intent to kill.

If, I can see that they are not armed and no deadly threat then I let them go or give themselves up. If, they are armed, I shoot to kill. Only a fool would allow him/herself to get in a deadly situation.

The Oklahoma law is clear, an intruder breaks into your home, you have the right to use deadly force to protect yourself and your family.

The moral of the story is quit drinking! I think if I knew I was that close to getting killed my drinking days would be over. :(

If you pull your weapon you better be prepared to use it. Thankfully, I've never been put into that situation. However, I have been shot at a couple of times as an stupid teenager. Hunting with a buddy that told me he had permission to hunt on this property and the alcoholic landowner forgot that he had gave us permission we could hunt and came out while we were coon hunting and peppered us with a .22 rifle and a good cussing as we hid behind trees with our wheat lights off. I never ran so fast in my life in the dark and walked 12 miles home that night. We were to afraid to go get our truck for fear of the guy waiting on us to shoot us again:) The other time I was innocently with a group of guys taking a few watermelons from a patch and little did we know that the farmer was lying in wake in the watermelon patch to blast us with a 12 gauge. Obviously this farmer had been getting stolen from a lot (I swear it was the first time I was with these guys and had no idea what was going on I was just along for the ride). Two of the guys that were with me really did get shot in the back and ended up having to go to the hospital to get lead dug out of their backs. I was sure sweating it out that my parents would find that out but they never did. I told them about 20 years later when I thought it was safe and I wouldn't get the belt used on me. :D

The moral of the story is quit drinking! I think if I knew I was that close to getting killed my drinking days would be over. :(

If you pull your weapon you better be prepared to use it. Thankfully, I've never been put into that situation. However, I have been shot at a couple of times as an stupid teenager. Hunting with a buddy that told me he had permission to hunt on this property and the alcoholic landowner forgot that he had gave us permission we could hunt and came out while we were coon hunting and peppered us with a .22 rifle and a good cussing as we hid behind trees with our wheat lights off. I never ran so fast in my life in the dark and walked 12 miles home that night. We were to afraid to go get our truck for fear of the guy waiting on us to shoot us again:) The other time I was innocently with a group of guys taking a few watermelons from a patch and little did we know that the farmer was lying in wake in the watermelon patch to blast us with a 12 gauge. Obviously this farmer had been getting stolen from a lot (I swear it was the first time I was with these guys and had no idea what was going on I was just along for the ride). Two of the guys that were with me really did get shot in the back and ended up having to go to the hospital to get lead dug out of their backs. I was sure sweating it out that my parents would find that out but they never did. I told them about 20 years later when I thought it was safe and I wouldn't get the belt used on me. :D

Good one and it took me back to the days of watermelon stealing when I was a kid. It was great sport back in those old days. We had quite a few folks that would plant a patch of watermelons around town. Most didn't care about them and just planted them for the kids. We had one ornery old cuss that protected his watermelon patch like it was gold.

Guess which watermelon patch we picked on?

Your right, the guy who we knew was guarding his watermelons :D:D. Following friday night football games he would pack up his kids and take them home to guard the patch. We would do some bait and switch and would always get some of his melons. They tasted so good as we were putting one over on him, :p

One of my best friends, grandfather farmed right across the street from the school. He didn't care and actually planted them for us to steal. It just wasn't any fun to take his:(

Reactions: Got Rings?
Good one and it took me back to the days of watermelon stealing when I was a kid. It was great sport back in those old days. We had quite a few folks that would plant a patch of watermelons around town. Most didn't care about them and just planted them for the kids. We had one ornery old cuss that protected his watermelon patch like it was gold.

Guess which watermelon patch we picked on?

Your right, the guy who we knew was guarding his watermelons :D:D. Following friday night football games he would pack up his kids and take them home to guard the patch. We would do some bait and switch and would always get some of his melons. They tasted so good as we were putting one over on him, :p

One of my best friends, grandfather farmed right across the street from the school. He didn't care and actually planted them for us to steal. It just wasn't any fun to take his:(

Those were the good ole days weren't they Roy. I remember vividly seeing the fire coming out of the barrels of the guns in the dark night and I thought they were just shooting up in the air until after we all dived into our cars and left and a couple of the guys said hey I'm bleeding and sure enough they had been shot with lead. We told them to just tough it out so we wouldn't get into trouble but their parents found out and took them to the hospital that night. :)

Those were the good ole days weren't they Roy. I remember vividly seeing the fire coming out of the barrels of the guns in the dark night and I thought they were just shooting up in the air until after we all dived into our cars and left and a couple of the guys said hey I'm bleeding and sure enough they had been shot with lead. We told them to just tough it out so we wouldn't get into trouble but their parents found out and took them to the hospital that night. :)

Yep, those were the good ole days. Kids back in those days were tough skinned. Now we have to be all PC so we don't hurt the little kiddies feelings,

Damn, you fellows played hardball.

I feel like a wimp!
I think it is more accurate to say we were playing hardball with softball brains, but it sure was fun times and nobody sued anybody or got too butthurt about anything like nowadays with the PC police. :rolleyes:

Speaking of PC and kids.... last summer while attending a house party, with several families that we've known for years and have watched their kids grow up, I asked a 13 yr old kid to bring me a beer. His Mom went ape shit. All the while she's holding her 3rd margarita in a solo cup. She finally calmed down and very quietly in a whisper fashion said, "We don't let let the kids know we drink." So I looked back and asked the kid, "What's in your Momma's cup?" He looked at me and said, "It's from that large clear bottle on the counter that says Jose something." I laughed at her and went got my own beer.

Last edited:
Speaking of PC and kids.... last summer while attending a house party, with several families that we've known for years and have watched their kids grow up, I asked a 13 yr old kid to bring me a beer. His Mom went ape shit. All the while she's holding her 3rd margarita. She finally calmed down and very quietly in a whisper fashion said, "We don't let let the kids no we drink." So I looked back and asked the kid, "What's in your Momma's cup?" He looked at me and said, "It's from that large clear bottle on the counter that says Jose something." I laughed at her and went got my own beer.

I commend you for your restraint...I'm afraid of what my reaction would have been, especially after consuming alcohol...I hope that's the last party that particular Mom attends...

I commend you for your restraint...I'm afraid of what my reaction would have been, especially after consuming alcohol...I hope that's the last party that particular Mom attends...

Hell, she'll be there at the next party. She's a family member of a very dear friend. She also now knows that her kids know she drinks. We all laughed our asses off when the kid told me what's up in 'mommy's cup'.

I'm sure BW it happens more than we know. At least the close calls. Situations were totally unrelated and the Fort Worth case was real.

Boomer Sooner

Actually this very scenario happened at my house one night, but no one yelled or anything until the teen was out the front door again. My sister in law was staying with us at the time and went out the front door to smoke. Didn't lock it and around 12:30 AM a kid just opened the front door, walked through the house out into the back yard, went back through the house and opened my daughters bedroom door...turned on the light and looked at her. Then he walked back out the front door and my sister in law came and got me to tell me someone had walked through the house.

He should be glad she didn't yell because he almost certainly would have been red paste on the wall. Turns out he was some teen kid high on something and just didn't know where he was and was randomly trying to open houses.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT