ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Red River flooding.

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
The Red River bridge at Gainesville, Texas may be shut down due to flooding. 42.5 feet above normal. Wow.

red-river-3.jpg

Reactions: Section22Sooner
According to a news report in Dallas, the Red River was the "highest it has been in recorded history." I guess they started keeping such records in the late 1800s or early 20th century. I guess all of the rain on both sides for quite a distance eventually ends up there.

That was a pretty remarkable picture. Hope the bridge holds up. Would make traveling to Norman quite a difficult task for anybody close to Dallas.

Then why is she screwing around with the good folks in Oklahoma and Texas?

Ditto! I thought OK and TX were two of the "reddest" states in the union???

But not to hijack the thread, but that pick of the Red River is pretty scary. Especially when you consider the river is 42 feet over normal. I remember going over that river many times and saw it fairly high, but nothing like what the pic shows.

That was in response to fitty's post that stated California hasn't gotten any rain. Better to have too much than too little.

I got it the first time around Medic. I hate the loss of life and property damage suffered, but there are a lot of ranchers glad that their ponds are refilled. Watch for extremely high produce prices if the California drought continues. The mid west may be the bread basket, but California is the fresh produce basket of the country.

http://www.texastribune.org/2013/06/13/supreme-court-decides-texas-oklahoma-water-case/

I assumed that the suits that Texas has brought against the State of Oklahoma over water would be common knowledge in Oklahoma, as well as fodder for a good number of jokes. There have been several attempts to force Oklahoma to sell water to Tarrant County.

The irony was that Texas was suing Oklahoma for water at the same time that California was suing Texas over petroleum. Texas was for it in one case, as opposed to it in another.

http://www.texastribune.org/2013/06/13/supreme-court-decides-texas-oklahoma-water-case/

I assumed that the suits that Texas has brought against the State of Oklahoma over water would be common knowledge in Oklahoma, as well as fodder for a good number of jokes. There have been several attempts to force Oklahoma to sell water to Tarrant County.

The irony was that Texas was suing Oklahoma for water at the same time that California was suing Texas over petroleum. Texas was for it in one case, as opposed to it in another.

My brother-in-law is an attorney, so he was the first person that I learned about the Texas lawsuit against Oklahoma over water. Good to see Oklahoma came out on top in the Supreme Court ruling.

The waters of Lake Texoma are just a few hundred yards from my doorstep...I don't live that close to the lake.

The Roosevelt Bridge is closed again for the second time in as many weeks as well as the water going over the spillway for the 5th time in the lake's history, two being less than 20 days apart.

Starting to look like Waterworld down here.

I heard they got four inches of rain in Sherman yesterday, less than ten miles from Texoma.

I'm just curious, can I drive up either bridge into Oklahoma north of Gainesville on I-35, or up US 75 north of Denison and have a reasonable assurance of being able to get back any time soon? Or even get over the bridge today?

I had an appointment about a dozen miles southeast of Rockwall today which is about a mile trip for me one way, and got within three miles in the tiny town of Peotry Tx and had to turn around and go home because both accesses had a wide stream of water going over the two lane county highway with no shoulder. I guess I should be really glad that happened before I got there.

If its Jeanne Tripplehorn circa late 90s then I would most certaintly trade some commodities to Kevin Costner for a "go" with her. Not sure how she's holding up these days.

Plaino, they had 69/75 shutdown Sunday but I hear its reopened. To my knowledge the I-35 crossing Big Red was still shutdown.

ADVERTISEMENT