ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Don't open if you don't like my bitching about products

Section22Sooner

Sooner starter
Dec 8, 2002
WEED TRIMMER
My new Troy Bilt (MTD) weed trimmer... What a piece of crap. So many safeties built into the thing, it either stalls out when there is too much load or you can't get it restarted until it cools down. I want my old ankle-slicing 1990's Weed Eater back.

MR. COFFEE
My Mr. Coffee does not make a full pot (it leaves water in the reservoir). I'm not the only one having this issue. I went looking for a solution on the web and many people have this same complaint. Their customer service people are in India. That was a complete dead end. All over a $20 coffee maker. I finally solved the problem. I turned down a 1" long piece of PEX tubing so that it crams down into the reservoir hole. This gets the water level up about 3/4", enough to raise the static pressure. Makes 7 cups now instead of 8. But that is better than 4 or 5.

GAS CANS
The product liability lawyers have redesigned consumer gas can spouts, and they are more dangerous than ever.

It used to be that one could purchase a decent gas can made by Blitz in good old Miami, Oklahoma. The first ones had the little yellow pressure relief cap on the top, opposite the spout. They worked great. No mess. Then the spout was redesigned with a dual passageway to allow pouring gas without the yellow relief cap needed. They worked reasonably well, but I assume that too many Bubbas didn't plug the spout and the fumes blew up their shacks. The crooked product liability lawyers sued the heck out of Blitz and put them out of business.

Now gas cans have the spring-loaded automatic spout shutoff collar. You have to physically twist the collar on the spout to get gas to pour. But on a hot day, unlocking the spout sprays a massive cloud of gas fumes and gasoline spray into the air. I'd be willing to bet that many smokers and kids have been badly injured by these gas cans redesigned by lawyers.

JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON
I love my Jeep. No bitching there.

I bought a Ryobi 40 volt weed whacker. I won't go back to gas.

The last coffee maker you'll ever have to buy is a Technivorm, if you were to buy one. It has a monster copper heating element and no bullcrap moving parts. The only way water gets to the coffee is by boiling. The advantage of that is that water hits the coffee grounds at at least 203 F, which is the temp for making coffee. It beats the French press in taste even. It's expensive, but you'll never buy another and you won't bother with crap like Starbucks.

I've beetched about this before. Electric can openers. I've been through one a year and they just quit opening cans. I decided to buy a simple, old fashioned hand opener. Well, good luck on that, they are all made in China and broke the first time I tried to use it.

And I can vouch for the new gas weed eaters. They suck..........

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Electric can openers.....

We wash our dishes, spoons, forks, knives, pots, pans, glasses. But how many people wash the sharp pointed piece of metal that penetrates the can in a can opener? I know I do. But I bet most people forget all about it.... and get sick.

What's the dirtiest, filthiest thing you touch in a public restroom... worse than a door knob? It's the faucet handle. You wash your hands, then touch it again to turn off the water. Those poop germs that other people leave there are right back on your fingers.

We wash our dishes, spoons, forks, knives, pots, pans, glasses. But how many people wash the sharp pointed piece of metal that penetrates the can in a can opener? I know I do. But I bet most people forget all about it.... and get sick.

What's the dirtiest, filthiest thing you touch in a public restroom... worse than a door knob? It's the faucet handle. You wash your hands, then touch it again to turn off the water. Those poop germs that other people leave there are right back on your fingers.

Well, I never thought about washing the metal thing. I'll try it. I have used a copious amount of WD 40 though. Does that count? JJ

I always and I mean always use a clean paper towel to open a bathroom door after washing my hands at a restaurant. If the trash can is not close to the door I throw it as close to the can as possible..........

Reactions: Section22Sooner

The last coffee maker you'll ever have to buy is a Technivorm, if you were to buy one. It has a monster copper heating element and no bullcrap moving parts. The only way water gets to the coffee is by boiling. The advantage of that is that water hits the coffee grounds at at least 203 F, which is the temp for making coffee. It beats the French press in taste even. It's expensive, but you'll never buy another and you won't bother with crap like Starbucks.
Same thing....except the weed-eater and the leaf blower are Dewalt. It was a bit of investment, but they are great so far.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Weed Eater - why would you own one? Hire someone.

Coffee Maker - worth the $ to spend up

Gas Can - hired workers own them. That's their problem, not mine.

Problems fixed.

I went through my divorce in the fall of 2012. Even though my ex nor my boys EVER did yard work, she still insisted on getting all the yard tools, including the lawn mower and the weed eater. So six months later, I bought a new weed eater with a rechargeable battery.

But it's one of those automatic feeders. You don't even punch the ground to increase the line. It just does it itself, automatically. Except that worked for about a month and never since. So I hardly ever use it. The only way to get the line to feed, is to turn it off. Turn it over. Take the cap off the line and manually pull out more line. Lasts for about 20 feet and then do it again.

The charger works pretty good, though.

Reactions: K2C Sooner

My 18 volt Ryobi kicks butt and like you Medic, my gas weed whacker is in the shed collecting dust. The 18 volt is a bit on the low end as far as charge, but I've got my "edging routine" down so that I can get everything done and still have some juice left over if I need to go above and beyond.

Youz guys with the electric trimmers... are lawn edger attachments available? I have an edging attachment for my 2-cycle Troy-Bilt, and it feels like flying a bi-plane by wire to keep it from stalling out. But as long as the RPM's are not too low... not too high, there is enough torque to get the job done. Do the electrics edge too?

Youz guys with the electric trimmers... are lawn edger attachments available? I have an edging attachment for my 2-cycle Troy-Bilt, and it feels like flying a bi-plane by wire to keep it from stalling out. But as long as the RPM's are not too low... not too high, there is enough torque to get the job done. Do the electrics edge too?

On my Ryobi, you can swivel the head to horizontal or vertical. You can also put the cutting head at a diagonal, but I have never needed that. So, it weed eats and edges. Like I said, mine's an 18 volt, but if you need a heavier-duty unit, you may want to consider a larger model, like Medic's 40 volt.

Yes. And you can use your existing attachments if they are part of the Expandit type. I can use all of the same things on the 40 volt that I used on the gas. The 40 volt has serious torque. It puts my gas to shame.

ADVERTISEMENT