ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Deflategate

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
Well it appears that the owner of the Patriots has decided it's not worthy of defending or appealing his punishment for his organizations latest cheating scandal. This wasn't his first rodeo when it comes to a cheating allegation. I believe he's smart enough to recognize that dragging his brand through the media as a 'cheater' is not a wise move. But to be honest, I think it's too late, I think his brand is severely damaged goods and will always be known as 'cheaters'.

I haven't read this anywhere, but all the details are falling into place. This has all the earmarks of a deal that has been made behind closed doors. My guess is after the news today that Kraft will not appeal any of the team penalties, that he and his buddy, the commissioner have gotten together to hammer out a compromise. The team will give up their draft picks and pay the million and apparently accept the discipline to the two low level employees who actually did the air letting.

And in exchange, as Goodell is the arbiter for Brady's appeal, that one or two games will be shaved off the suspension. The Patriots can live with the rest. But they want Brady for as many games as they can have him.

We'll see what comes to pass. But my guess is that the deal has already been done.

I think you may be correct, but I also think his brand is losing money. The more this plays out, they more he loses. He has no choice but to negotiate the best deal he can get. I think Brady will fight it harder. He'll take it personally. I hope it gets ugly for him in the process.

We are close to in total agreement, except I don't think the Patriots' brand will be hurt as much as you're projecting. I think a whole lot of people go by the old hockey adage: "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying." Some even admire a win at any cost mentality.

It's part of the reason why Al Davis' Raiders had a lot of popularity in certain sectors. I hope there is no diminishing of suspension time. I think it's deserved.

While I'm sure I'm like most in the world in that I'd love to be remembered as a winner, but I'm also in the school of thought that I'd rather be remembered as a loser that played by the rules in front of me, than a cheater. But that's just me.

I know for a fact that my team never cheats. And the only reason your team ever beats my team is because your team is always cheating.

I know for a fact that my team never cheats. And the only reason your team ever beats my team is because your team is always cheating.

Almost the exact words Brady told the world at his news conference regarding his cheating. :cool:

Almost the exact words Brady told the world at his news conference regarding his cheating. :cool:

While I realize it was technically cheating, it seems so minor. How did a slightly softer football hurt anyone--or benefit anyone? Does Brady have tiny hands and softer balls are easier to handle? (Don't go there!) Does it make the ball all that much easier to catch? I think intentionally hurting a player (knocking out a QB for example) is a hell of a lot worse offense and only one team has been sanctioned for that, even though I've read that it is a common goal among defensive players and coaches in the League. This all seems much ado about (almost) nothing, a tempest in a teapot, etc.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
ADVERTISEMENT