ADVERTISEMENT

OT...another example of the news agenda

I don't buy into the 'other country' theories. By contolling guns you appear to wish to control deaths by those that are mentally unstable, thugs, crazies. There's a part of me in which I personally do not care if any of these types live or die. The issues I see firsthand is not with gun ownership but with mental illness in tho country and the inabilities of many to wish to control this segment of the population. It's becoming disturbing.
I think you are misreading the problem. There are those who seem to want to make this into a Gun is Good thing where those objecting to the presence of so many guns hate guns. Does the fact that we have speed limits mean that those who impose speed limits hate cars? If the auto industry had used the approach of the gun manufacturers through the NRA, they would be saying that the liberals just hate cars, and the imposition of restrictions confining you to the use of roads with stop signs and speed limits is a violation of your rights. Prior to their going nuts, the NRA did have a lot of gun owners that were receiving information about their weapons from the NRA, along with safety tips.

It is true that people may wish to commit murder or suicide (often in poorer or urban areas). The fact is that it is more likely to occur if there is a gun available. It is more difficult to kill someone with a knife, and you get blood all over yourself. They may not die from one stabbing. The problem with a gun being available is that it results in easy use.

Almost every week, we see a story about a five year old who killed his little sister with a handgun. Would this have occurred with a knife? A father buys a handgun and kills his six-year-old daughter in the pickup while still in the parking lot of the store, showing her how it works. An unloaded pistol (OK, they thought it was unloaded for those who are too illiterate) results in an accidental death. These aren't things that happen if you don't have a gun. Incidentally, none of these would be included in the murder rate, but they happen every day. So many of these are accidental death or some form of manslaughter. They happen because of the presence of guns. They happen a lot more with handguns. It is extremely rare to hear of someone shooting his kid accidentally with a shotgun. Those who have them don't treat them like they were a toy.

I also don't want rattlesnakes in my house. I realize that they are, in themselves, not evil. But, they are dangerous. While in graduate school, I shared an office with a kid who kept a rattlesnake and a cottonmouth on his desk. The cottonmouth bit him. He didn't know he was only trying to feed him. It was dangerous.

table1-1024x514.jpg

You have to be careful with who is generating the information and the graphs. In this study, murder rates correlate with gun ownership.
http://www.objectobot.com/?p=458

There has been a major thrust to attempt to disguise any link between guns and murder.

Read your own chart. The one you provide shows an inverse relationship between guns per capita and homicides per capita. As the blue line (guns per capita) goes up, the red line (homicides per capita) goes down.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I think you are misreading the problem. There are those who seem to want to make this into a Gun is Good thing where those objecting to the presence of so many guns hate guns. Does the fact that we have speed limits mean that those who impose speed limits hate cars? If the auto industry had used the approach of the gun manufacturers through the NRA, they would be saying that the liberals just hate cars, and the imposition of restrictions confining you to the use of roads with stop signs and speed limits is a violation of your rights. Prior to their going nuts, the NRA did have a lot of gun owners that were receiving information about their weapons from the NRA, along with safety tips.

It is true that people may wish to commit murder or suicide (often in poorer or urban areas). The fact is that it is more likely to occur if there is a gun available. It is more difficult to kill someone with a knife, and you get blood all over yourself. They may not die from one stabbing. The problem with a gun being available is that it results in easy use.

Almost every week, we see a story about a five year old who killed his little sister with a handgun. Would this have occurred with a knife? A father buys a handgun and kills his six-year-old daughter in the pickup while still in the parking lot of the store, showing her how it works. An unloaded pistol (OK, they thought it was unloaded for those who are too illiterate) results in an accidental death. These aren't things that happen if you don't have a gun. Incidentally, none of these would be included in the murder rate, but they happen every day. So many of these are accidental death or some form of manslaughter. They happen because of the presence of guns. They happen a lot more with handguns. It is extremely rare to hear of someone shooting his kid accidentally with a shotgun. Those who have them don't treat them like they were a toy.

I also don't want rattlesnakes in my house. I realize that they are, in themselves, not evil. But, they are dangerous. While in graduate school, I shared an office with a kid who kept a rattlesnake and a cottonmouth on his desk. The cottonmouth bit him. He didn't know he was only trying to feed him. It was dangerous.

I stopped reading at Auto lobbyists. Buying, owning and driving a car is not a Constitutional right. I still think that you're missing the point that the founders fought a war against a Govt that contolled them. As such, they made sure that their newly formed country and Govt body did not and could not have the right to remove guns from the people. We all live in a pretty civil world these days. But if what we witnessed in Baltimore was to take holt in a nationwide manner, and no one around to help us, Im going to want my guns. I posed a question to FTWorth regarding the Govt and gun control. While I recognize that the question is premature to today's world, but I do believe the question has value. I also believe given the opportunity, many in our govt would confiscate our guns in a heart beat. Hell they're currently going about replacing and/or defacing statues from 150 yrs ago.

Restrictions or limits should not be in place for the type of weaponry owned, but rather, the proper certification of the weaponry. Restrictions also need to be placed on gun ownership in regards to mental illness or at least to qualify the buyer of a gun. But then the debate begins on who is doing the qualifying and how often will attempts be made to restrict ownership.

We are a big, mean, population. Losing people to suicides or gangs killing each other is no swet off my brow. But losing people that can't protect themselves, that's a different story.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Read your own chart. The one you provide shows an inverse relationship between guns per capita and homicides per capita. As the blue line (guns per capita) goes up, the red line (homicides per capita) goes down.
You may be right. The numbers are, as indicated, statistically insignificant. Let's see if we can put forth numbers that make more sense than the charts which lump the US with all of the third world countries, thus skewing the results by countries in the middle of internal disputes. Let's look at murder rates of industrial nations as compared to the US:

Homicide rates by run per 100,000
USA 2.97
Australia 0.14
Austria 0.22
Belgium 0.68
Bulgaria 0.67
Canada 0.51
Denmark 0.27
England and Wales 0.07
Finland 0.45
France 0.06
Germany 0.19
Hungary 0.07
India 0.26
Ireland 0.48
Israel 0.09
Japan 0.01
Italy 0.71
Jordan 0.49
South Korea 0.03
Latvia 0.22
Lebanon 0.76
Lichtenstein 2.82 (results from only one death)
Lithuania 0.18
Luxemburg 0.62
The Netherlands 0.33
Northern Ireland 0.28
Norway 0.-05
Poland 0.09
Portugal 0.41
Serbia 0.46
Slovakia 0.18
Slovenia 0.1
Spain 0.2
Sweden 0.41
Switzerland 0.72
Ukraine 0.22
Only Lichtenstein had a higher death rate by gun than the US(based on one death). Now, do you want to see who has the higher death rates and murder rates that skew the results?
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list
Want to be compared to third world nations?

;)
I stopped reading at Auto lobbyists. Buying, owning and driving a car is not a Constitutional right. I still think that you're missing the point that the founders fought a war against a Govt that contolled them. As such, they made sure that their newly formed country and Govt body did not and could not have the right to remove guns from the people. We all live in a pretty civil world these days. But if what we witnessed in Baltimore was to take holt in a nationwide manner, and no one around to help us, Im going to want my guns. I posed a question to FTWorth regarding the Govt and gun control. While I recognize that the question is premature to today's world, but I do believe the question has value. I also believe given the opportunity, many in our govt would confiscate our guns in a heart beat. Hell they're currently going about replacing and/or defacing statues from 150 yrs ago.

Restrictions or limits should not be in place for the type of weaponry owned, but rather, the proper certification of the weaponry. Restrictions also need to be placed on gun ownership in regards to mental illness or at least to qualify the buyer of a gun. But then the debate begins on who is doing the qualifying and how often will attempts be made to restrict ownership.

We are a big, mean, population. Losing people to suicides or gangs killing each other is no swet off my brow. But losing people that can't protect themselves, that's a different story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the deal with the dog pile on WNAS? I understand he and 22 have an on running feud, but then here comes the twins. They got banned for a reason. Just look at their responses in this thread alone.

WNAS and I didn't actually see eye to eye when he was a mod. I was warned and changed my posting style. I never had a problem after that. He did run off some very good posters following the "rules to the letter".

All I can say is take him on one on one, no dog piling or using different handles to attack him. I'm sure he can handle himself......

Looking forward to the next 22 versus WNAS debate.............;).

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner

Are you sure? You cite what they believed as though you were certain?

You should have read any comparison because ALL RIGHTS can be regulated. Name even one that isn't.

I have already addressed the issue that constitutional scholars and historians are not exactly sure what the Second Amendment says or what was meant. That is why we do have courts and the ability to write laws, etc. We attempt to clarify. I have asked before----what are the limits? Where do you draw the line? I'm perfectly willing to let everyone have a rifle and a shotgun. If you carry it into a store while loaded, I want you arrested. But, where do you draw the line as to what kind of weapons the public should be able to own----or carry around?

;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the deal with the dog pile on WNAS? I understand he and 22 have an on running feud, but then here comes the twins. They got banned for a reason. Just look at their responses in this thread alone.

WNAS and I didn't actually see eye to eye when he was a mod. I was warned and changed my posting style. I never had a problem after that. He did run off some very good posters following the "rules to the letter".

All I can say is take him on one on one, no dog piling or using different handles to attack him. I'm sure he can handle himself......

WNAS handles himself pretty well during these. It's usually not worth the effort to identify specific dogs within a pile, and he has coe out unscathed thus far.

You may be right. The numbers are, as indicated, statistically insignificant. Let's see if we can put forth numbers that make more sense than the charts which lump the US with all of the third world countries, thus skewing the results by countries in the middle of internal disputes. Let's look at murder rates of industrial nations as compared to the US:

Homicide rates by run per 100,000
USA 2.97
Australia 0.14
Austria 0.22
Belgium 0.68
Bulgaria 0.67
Canada 0.51
Denmark 0.27
England and Wales 0.07
Finland 0.45
France 0.06
Germany 0.19
Hungary 0.07
India 0.26
Ireland 0.48
Israel 0.09
Japan 0.01
Italy 0.71
Jordan 0.49
South Korea 0.03
Latvia 0.22
Lebanon 0.76
Lichtenstein 2.82 (results from only one death)
Lithuania 0.18
Luxemburg 0.62
The Netherlands 0.33
Northern Ireland 0.28
Norway 0.-05
Poland 0.09
Portugal 0.41
Serbia 0.46
Slovakia 0.18
Slovenia 0.1
Spain 0.2
Sweden 0.41
Switzerland 0.72
Ukraine 0.22
Only Lichtenstein had a higher death rate by gun than the US(based on one death). Now, do you want to see who has the higher death rates and murder rates that skew the results?
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list
Want to be compared to third world nations?

I've seen similar statistics. With only a few exceptions, the countries listed are primarily Caucasian. Of note, Switzerland has the 4th highest private gun ownership per capita in the world and one of the lowest murder rates. They also control their borders. Our pot is over-melted

;)

Hell it's all good. They are what they are and will never change. I just ran them off again and I'm not even a Mod.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
I've seen similar statistics. With only a few exceptions, the countries listed are primarily Caucasian. Of note, Switzerland has the 4th highest private gun ownership per capita in the world and one of the lowest murder rates. They also control their borders. Our pot is over-melted
I listed several countries in the Middle East, home of turmoil. I listed India. The real key is that those with a higher murder rate tend to be in politically-unstable countries, often in the middle of little revolutions. Others tend to be ruled by drug traffickers rather than government.

What I am unable to find is data on death by gun via non-murder: like accidents, manslaughter, and other non-murder offenses. Most of those don't occur without a gun.

You should have read any comparison because ALL RIGHTS can be regulated. Name even one that isn't.

I have already addressed the issue that constitutional scholars and historians are not exactly sure what the Second Amendment says or what was meant. That is why we do have courts and the ability to write laws, etc. We attempt to clarify. I have asked before----what are the limits? Where do you draw the line? I'm perfectly willing to let everyone have a rifle and a shotgun. If you carry it into a store while loaded, I want you arrested. But, where do you draw the line as to what kind of weapons the public should be able to own----or carry around?

The day we have a Supreme Court that defies my right to gun ownership is the day that I most likely will become a wanted man. That's a fact. In this scenario, I'll end up losing but I won't go down without a fight. That day will come sooner than most think if the conservative party doesn't get their act together and form a larger tent that is more inclusive. If they lose another Presidential election, there most likely will be another appointment or two of the Justices in play and the things we see today will appear like small stuff. Elections matter and Obama has proven this to me. I would think everyone can see this, but I guess not.

I should be able to own and carry what I wish to as long as I'm not breaking any laws and/or requests from retail, commercial or industrial business. If it's illegal and posted. It isn't allowed.

BTW, kids born in the 50's & 60's grew up with gun violence on TV including cartoons, Westerns, and many, many more. They haven't gone about shooting up schools, movie theaters, etc. What changed? It wasn't guns, but the people. I think it a majority of it is the use of prescription drugs in an attempt to alter and/or cover up human behavior. I truly believe we have an industry that is out of control and yet some point the finger at the gun(s) vs the person.

The day we have a Supreme Court that defies my right to gun ownership is the day that I most likely will become a wanted man. That's a fact. In this scenario, I'll end up losing but I won't go down without a fight. That day will come sooner than most think if the conservative party doesn't get their act together and form a larger tent that is more inclusive. If they lose another Presidential election, there most likely will be another appointment or two of the Justices in play and the things we see today will appear like small stuff. Elections matter and Obama has proven this to me. I would think everyone can see this, but I guess not.
2016 may be the last close election, if it is close. The demographics are tending heavily populist and away from white male. The biggest problem that "conservatives" have is that their spokesmen are considered absolutely nuts.

Someone remarked that the leftists were attacking Trump. Actually, thus far, the liberals have stayed silent for the most part on the "conservative" field. They are tearing each other up. Every day, Trump attacks at least one of his compatriots, and at least two tackle him. Then, they all go after Cruz or Huckabee. They are all looking for headlines in order to make the top ten and get on stage. The liberals are just watching. There isn't any need to attack anyone.

But, one assaults women. About 53% of voters are women. Now, about half of them are single women, and they have been cast out by conservatives. They are now voting about sixty percent the other way. Then, it is Hispanics or gays, maybe African-Americans. Then, someone comes out with an attack on the Pope. It may be good to generate a hard core following, but you can't insult the majority and win. Someone has to stop.

The right to own a gun is not in danger. But, when even Reagan was against some weapons, it is time to think.

Reagan:
"I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen for sporting, for hunting and so forth or home defense. But I do believe an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon nor needed for home defense."
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/reaganak47.asp#Y6v2s3r7kb0y0z6Y.99

In the 80's, the popular and EZ thing for anyone to say was, "Hunting", "Hunting", "Hunting" when it came to guns. Although I voted for him, twice, I never agreed with his position on guns. Gun ownership for me has always been about protection and today, gun sales are on the increase because of the need for protection.

K2c who is using different handles? And some of your buddies were also banned for a reason as well. Too many times people take things too serious here, its a sports board for gods sake. I've been guilty of doing my part and I apologize. As for wnas, the dude has anger issues. Until he learns to deal with that he will have problems with other posters

Reactions: BillyRay
Hell it's all good. They are what they are and will never change. I just ran them off again and I'm not even a Mod.
You aren't a mod for a reason. You had too many personal prejudices and you couldn't even get along with your fellow mod. Just move on and try to improve yourself and earn some respect

K2c who is using different handles? And some of your buddies were also banned for a reason as well. Too many times people take things too serious here, its a sports board for gods sake. I've been guilty of doing my part and I apologize. As for wnas, the dude has anger issues. Until he learns to deal with that he will have problems with other posters

I disagree. WNAS was just into an intense thread with 22. Both of them were at each others throats. I found it very entertaining myself. I was banned by Medic. I got back at him by posting pictures of his toilets.o_O

I have a question for you. Why is it you and BW post on a thread within 5 minutes of each other? No wonder some of us think you're the same guy. You both posted at 1 pm + today. Do you guy's have jobs where you have internet service in the afternoon?

Finally, why did you guy's register on the same day on this site and why do you never disagree? Inquiring minds............

I'll take this off line. I'm not going to get into a back and forth with you twins.............

Last edited:
Now... fortworth, here's a question for you... At what point does the good guys become the bad guys, if ever. Meaning... when the police and/or military (the good guys) that take direction from their brass who take direction from the govt., and then they come after your gun(s). Are they still the good guys or do they become the bad guys? Or in your view, do they always remain the good guys?
First, you include the police in with the bad guys. Then, you backtrack and claim they are not. Then again, you backtrack coming up with a scenario in which they would be bad guys.

Your final scenario is fantasy rather than a potential reality. It will never come to fruition. Too many forces against it. It would be a doomsday event and even the police would resist such an order. My son would and I believe yours would too.

The tooth fairy was once a friend of mine. The relationship ended when I grew up.

Boomer Sooner

First, you include the police in with the bad guys. Then, you backtrack and claim they are not. Then again, you backtrack coming up with a scenario in which they would be bad guys.

Your final scenario is fantasy rather than a potential reality. It will never come to fruition. Too many forces against it. It would be a doomsday event and even the police would resist such an order. My son would and I believe yours would too.

The tooth fairy was once a friend of mine. The relationship ended when I grew up.

Boomer Sooner

Well first I'm not back tracking. I readily admit the way I typed my post that it could be viewed as you did. But having said that, you didn't really answer my question in the event as you described, a "doomsday" event. So I'll ask in a more pointed fashion. Would you give them up or fight, even if it's the military? BTW, there are many examples of police confiscating guns at the orders of superior and I suggest that you research this. Ruby Ridge comes to mind as does Waco, although I do believe that guy was a bit crazed and as such, not the normal guy like yourself or me. I'd like to believe as you would that in the event something of this nature developed that both of our sons would resist the orders. This will be a great conversation in October when I see my son for an extended visit.

You aren't a mod for a reason. You had too many personal prejudices and you couldn't even get along with your fellow mod. Just move on and try to improve yourself and earn some respect

I'm doing fine and to be honest, I don't seek anything from you much less your respect. Move along.

I disagree. WNAS was just into an intense thread with 22. Both of them were at each others throats. I found it very entertaining myself. I was banned by Medic. I got back at him by posting pictures of his toilets.o_O

I have a question for you. Why is it you and BW post on a thread within 5 minutes of each other? No wonder some of us think you're the same guy. You both posted at 1 pm + today. Do you guy's have jobs where you have internet service in the afternoon?

Finally, why did you guy's register on the same day on this site and why do you never disagree? Inquiring minds............

I'll take this off line. I'm not going to get into a back and forth with you twins.............

They are one of the same. I don't need any official verifications by a Mod and/or Rivals. I know what I know and that's good for me.

Why is wnas still posting about me if imvon ignore? That's weird. K2c I've explained this many times and will do so only once more. Barking and I posted on soonerfans.com (and still do)…..it got a little slow so barking ventured over to the scoop. He shot me an email to try it out and the rest is history. As for me I check in throughout the day just to read the discussions. As I posted a few days earlier I'm on vacation this week so plenty of laying around time. You post very similar to a couple of posters here but do I care or accuse u of having different handles? Ever? No because 1. Idc and 2. Idc. My advice to you is don't take message boards that serious. I've apologized for my part in arguments in the past and that's all I can do

They are one of the same. I don't need any official verifications by a Mod and/or Rivals. I know what I know and that's good for me.
They actually aren't the same person. I know being wrong is tough for you, but yet again, you are. Mike and others, including Josh, who have been mods here know this to be fact. So you're either being dishonest or you're being dishonest.

Nothing new.

5e8.jpg

One thing we know. We're watching the destruction of our culture, society and race relations, while poverty and black on black crime grows. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U. S. Census Bureau, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Investors Business Daily, Black Pastors Association, Black Enterprise Magazine, SNAP (food stamps) and the Orange County Register.

Something is not working. Can we reverse current trends? Does growing debt put us on a Greek path?

One thing we know. We're watching the destruction of our culture, society and race relations, while poverty and black on black crime grows. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U. S. Census Bureau, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Investors Business Daily, Black Pastors Association, Black Enterprise Magazine, SNAP (food stamps) and the Orange County Register.

Something is not working. Can we reverse current trends? Does growing debt put us on a Greek path?

Absolutely it does. At the rate we are going we aren't far off from the day when our interest exceeds our ability to pay it. I find it amazing that the current Fed has gone through hoops to keep interest rates at such low rates. They know that if interest rates hit the traditional levels that the it will seriously impair our ability to pay our bills. Over the last few years I have bought metals as a just in case bet. I have the lions share of my money in income producing real-estate, not home or commercial rental type. I also keep a few months worth of cash on hand as another just in case bet. It sounds crazy to go to such lengths ... on the flip side I have no faith in this Administration as in my opinion we have a terrorist in the White House.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT