ADVERTISEMENT

One Person's Opinion...Top 10 OU Running Backs...

Difficult Assignment...If you absolutely had to cut 'The List' to 10...Who would you leave off? Who would you add?

Although 'Q' didn't have the stats, he played with so much Heart, giving everything he had...More, a
player cannot do...

#8 seems low for ranking DeMarco, but some of his Best Years came AFTER his time at OU...

http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Article/Top-10-running-backs-in-OU-history-37840397

Well, I'll go with Steve Owens #1 in my all time and that's nothing against Billy Vessels or any of the others. Steve was a 5 yards and cloud of dust type running back, but he carried those teams on his back in the late 60's. Gary and Mike Harper leading the way, those were fun days.....

I'm not going to disagree with that list though. I love them all..........

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I'd definitely have Tommy McDonald over Mike Gaddis. Key player on two NC teams. Would have won the Heisman if the school hadn't chosen to try to promote Jerry Tubbs as much as McDonald. Never lost a game at OU.

I know he played receiver in the NFL, but this was about OU running backs, not how good they were playing on Sundays.

Gaddis had talent, but he was hurt half of his career. I'd have Tommy six, seven or eight. Surely not lower than tenth.

But the rest of the list is pretty good. Not a few people would have AD over Joe Silvershoes, but at OU, Joe was a better player with a better career.

Last edited:
I'd definitely have Tommy McDonald over Mike Gaddis. Key player on two NC teams. Would have won the Heisman if the school hadn't chosen to try to promote Jerry Tubbs as much as McDonald. Never lost a game at OU.

I know he played receiver in the NFL, but this was about OU running backs, not how good they were playing on Sundays.

Gaddis had talent, but he was hurt half of his career. I'd have Tommy six, seven or eight. Surely not lower than tenth.

But the rest of the list is pretty good. Not a few people would have AD over Joe Silvershoes, but OU, Joe was a better player with a better career.
How McDonald was not included is a mystery, not that Gaddis wasn't a great player up until his injury (thanks to artificial grass). McDonald may be the most iconic Oklahoma player of the 1950's.
Peterson may have had the most physical talent with size and speed, but he played in what turned out to be the equivalent of only two seasons due to injuries and the draft after 2006.
My personal favorites are McDonald, Owens, Washington and Prentice Gautt, OU's first black player in 1957-59....and a two way performer. Gautt had more to deal with than just opposing tacklers on Saturdays. His number 38 and Bob Kalsu's number 77 should be displayed somewhere at OU...not retired, just displayed. Both men where heroes in their own way.

How McDonald was not included is a mystery, not that Gaddis wasn't a great player up until his injury (thanks to artificial grass). McDonald may be the most iconic Oklahoma player of the 1950's.
Peterson may have had the most physical talent with size and speed, but he played in what turned out to be the equivalent of only two seasons due to injuries and the draft after 2006.
My personal favorites are McDonald, Owens, Washington and Prentice Gautt, OU's first black player in 1957-59....and a two way performer. Gautt had more to deal with than just opposing tacklers on Saturdays. His number 38 and Bob Kalsu's number 77 should be displayed somewhere at OU...not retired, just displayed. Both men where heroes in their own way.
My Sentiments, Spot On, CT...No Way should Tommy and Prentice have been left off of anyone's Top Ten...I acknowledge that the OP is of a much younger generation and stats from History are not as impressive for him. I saw all of the players play, except Billy Vessels. Pound for Pound, Tommy trumps everyone mentioned, and Prentice? There will never be another like him. He had a Bullseye on his back and still got the job done, both on the field, and off. A True Gentleman...He is owed a debt that can never be repaid, IMO...

My Sentiments, Spot On, CT...No Way should Tommy and Prentice have been left off of anyone's Top Ten...I acknowledge that the OP is of a much younger generation and stats from History are not as impressive for him. I saw all of the players play, except Billy Vessels. Pound for Pound, Tommy trumps everyone mentioned, and Prentice? There will never be another like him. He had a Bullseye on his back and still got the job done, both on the field, and off. A True Gentleman...He is owed a debt that can never be repaid, IMO...
Senior....when I was a kid I had Gautt's picture, cut out from a magazine, taped to the wall over my bed. I can tell you that whenever I looked at the picture, all I saw was a great player......and my favorite player....and the only colors I saw were crimson and cream. My parents did a good job.

Senior....when I was a kid I had Gautt's picture, cut out from a magazine, taped to the wall over my bed. I can tell you that whenever I looked at the picture, all I saw was a great player......and my favorite player....and the only colors I saw were crimson and cream. My parents did a good job.
That they DID, CT! Sadly, THEY were in the Minority...Your post makes me smile! :)

I would've put DeMond Parker in front of Demarco Murray. Murray played on a stacked team, where as Parker played on average to BAD teams and was the only REAL true offensive threat. Everyone KNEW he was getting the ball....and STILL put up great numbers!! Murray had the luxury of playing with a Heisman winning QB, Pro level TE, WR's, etc. Murray was very good...but imo, he never really lived up to his hype. DeMond...left me with jaw-dropping runs every damn game.

In addition, I'd probably rank Steve Owens closer to 10th spot. Honestly, I'm more impressed with the MAN that he is (super nice and generous man) rather than his running back ability. He was certainly durable and a good back....but he also had an absolute TON of carries! Some games he had over 40 carries! Imagine what kind of numbers DeMond, Q, AD, Murray, etc would've put up with the same number of carries during a game that Steve Owens typically had! Again, not saying he was not good..rather not dynamic like these others were, IMO. I mean...when you get 35 carries a game...you BETTER be hitting the 100 yard mark a LOT.

If a list doesn't include McDonald and Clendon, I tend to throw it away rather than spending time worrying about who, out of about twenty, should be in the top ten.
We could easily put up a Legit Top 20, while some Schools have to struggle to get to 10...

My son visited with Clendon at Football Camp, last year...He is going the way of all good Men of the 47 Straight...No longer Young; No longer Spry...:(

Difficult Assignment...If you absolutely had to cut 'The List' to 10...Who would you leave off? Who would you add?

Although 'Q' didn't have the stats, he played with so much Heart, giving everything he had...More, a
player cannot do...

#8 seems low for ranking DeMarco, but some of his Best Years came AFTER his time at OU...

http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Article/Top-10-running-backs-in-OU-history-37840397

FWIW, Q's the all time leader @ OU in combined rushing/receiving yardage. I know that comes with a bit of a caveat since we were so run heavy until Stoops' arrival, but IMO, that has to count for something, especially in light of the fact that he only played 5 games his freshman year when they were trying to redshirt him before Mike Thornton blew his knee out.

I'd also have to agree with the sentiment that Parker was underrated. The guy had a bullseye on him the size of Owen Field every time he stepped on it thanks to the overall ineptitude of the offenses during his time & he still produced.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT