ADVERTISEMENT

*OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA VERSUS IOWA STATE GAME THREAD*

In spite of all the concerns mentioned, this was a quality win in the way it was won.... with a good defense and kicking game.... against a team that lost 24-21 to Texas and lost the last 4 games by a total of 14 points.
The win also puts OU one game away from bowl eligibility, which I believe is critical for OU's rebuilding effort.
We should get to six or seven now.

Last edited:
I think we're going to get a big win against Baylor next Saturday and see this team finish the season strong. Mathematically speaking a Big XII title is still in play but it's long odds.
I sure hope you’re right, bc, but we will have to play a whole lot better offensively to keep up with Baylor, IMO. I think we split the next 4. But then look what Kansas State is doing to the Cowboys today. LMAO. Up 28-0 in the 2nd quarter.

I sure hope you’re right, bc, but we will have to play a whole lot better offensively to keep up with Baylor, IMO. I think we split the next 4. But then look what Kansas State is doing to the Cowboys today. LMAO. Up 28-0 in the 2nd quarter.

Shapen is good but we'll be able to run successfully and control the game. Defense seems to realize we need to be good at at least 1 thing, stopping the run. Texas Tech last game of the season is the most dangerous to me.

Most of the teams in the conference are missing key guys. OSU was missing a ton of guys today and Sanders was playing really beat up. KState was missing Martinez, but at home, their defense was really good, and OSU was missing too many key weapons to even compete. They looked bad, but that's not who we'll see in Bedlam.

Baylor is going to be getting some running back pretty soon, too. Right now, they are playing a true freshman who is 5'9, 170 and not too fast, but really tough. He has ten touchdowns. We can beat anybody on the schedule if Dillon plays healthy. I saw a memo the other day, that if you just include the halves he's played in, OU would be number two in the country in total offense, at least before today.

Tech is not really that good. The OSU bodies that played today, just really aren't that good. West Virginia there, could be a challenge. I suspect Baylor next week, will be OUr toughest test in November. Their defense is starting to come around. Aranda can coach.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Get bowl elgible, hopefully a bowl win and this season will be something to build on considering everything thats happened. Would be nice to win out but thats a tall order and a bit much to expect. Hey it could happen ya never know, 9-3 would be pretty nice considering. One game at a time and see how it goes from here.

Get bowl elgible, hopefully a bowl win and this season will be something to build on considering everything thats happened. Would be nice to win out but thats a tall order and a bit much to expect. Hey it could happen ya never know, 9-3 would be pretty nice considering. One game at a time and see how it goes from here.
That is all we as fans can do. This was a good win for sure and if OU is able to win next week that should push OU up in the bowl pecking order. Baylor though has a much better offense than the Cyclones do and will give our fanbase a better picture on rather or not the defense benifited from that week off.

We are undefeated in games that Dillon Gabriel played from start to finish. So we have a chance to win every game that he plays the whole game. We can all see a lot of problems, but there is some improving going on. I think there's a great chance we win three or four more games, IF he stays healthy. If we win next week, I think just might win out. But one of the things about the quality of the league this year, is that there is more attrition than most seasons.

The defenses overall are better, and there are a lot of teams wanting to go fast on offense. More plays, more hits. Staying healthy, I like our chances better than I did before the game today. It wasn't pretty, but against ISU, it seldom is.

OU has 4 games left, 2 at home, 2 away, on a home-away-home-away schedule.
If OU can win its two games in Norman vs Baylor and OSU (or any two games), that's a bowl-bound winning season at 7-5, which is what many expected before the season (and would have accepted) given the turmoil left behind by Poach Riley.
OU fans need to be very noisy and supportive now for the two home games and realize that there is much momentum to be gained going into next year if OU can manage a winning record and a much-needed bowl appearance.
Defeats must be regarded as learning experiences because there is no good reason to regard them as anything else.
The game yesterday seemed to reflect that Venables, his staff and his players have had lessons learned in their three losses and successfully used an open week to make critical adjustments.
I don't recall a time when OU has been in this situation because this 2022 season is different from any before in my years of following this team. Through all the problems endured by this team, in my opinion, there's a potential light at the end of the tunnel this season.... and this opinion I did not have even after the Kansas win.

CTO, think about 1961. Bud's team started 0-5, but I remember on his coaches show when he said he thought they had a real chance to win their last five. And they did. The next year, he won his last conference title, his only Big 8 Championship. If we win out, or maybe go 3-1, this will remind me a lot of that season.

Reactions: Belldozer1
CTO, think about 1961. Bud's team started 0-5, but I remember on his coaches show when he said he thought they had a real chance to win their last five. And they did. The next year, he won his last conference title, his only Big 8 Championship. If we win out, or maybe go 3-1, this will remind me a lot of that season.
After 1960 when the team was 3-6-1, expectations were not high for the 1961 season, unlike the expectations for this season coming off a 10-2 season. But there is a similarity between the two seasons.
Wilkinson won 14 Big 8 championships from 1947-1959 and in 1962 with players like Ralph Neely, Carl McAdams, Lance Rentzel, Jim Grisham and Joe Don Looney.
The highlight of the 1961 season for me was attending the Army game in Yankee Stadium. It was also one of my best memories I had with my dad as we watched Mike McClellan's 75 yard run when Army was slow to break their huddle. OU 14, Army 8.

My defensive mvp’s for the year so far are Bowman and K. White at the Cheetah. Bowman so athletic and White has really come into his own in that position

After 1960 when the team was 3-6-1, expectations were not high for the 1961 season, unlike the expectations for this season coming off a 10-2 season. But there is a similarity between the two seasons.
Wilkinson won 14 Big 8 championships from 1947-1959 and in 1962 with players like Ralph Neely, Carl McAdams, Lance Rentzel, Jim Grisham and Joe Don Looney.
The highlight of the 1961 season for me was attending the Army game in Yankee Stadium. It was also one of my best memories I had with my dad as we watched Mike McClellan's 75 yard run when Army was slow to break their huddle. OU 14, Army 8.
Bud's other conference championships besides 1962 were Big 7 titles. OSU joined the conference to make it the Big 8 in 1960.

McAdams wasn't on the 1962 team, with all those other young bucks. He was a senior in 1965. I suspect he was a freshman in '62.

There was another game in '61 that had a bit McClellan run. I think it as Mizzou or maybe KState. Bud liked to quick kick. In that opening loss against Notre Dame, I remember three quick kic Instead, he faked the quick kick and did a statue of liberty to Mike who went 60 something in one of the five wins.

When I was a kid, I ran that play in my back yard for a while. And when I coached youth football, we ran it a half dozen times in 30 years. That ND loss, I lost 2 cents on a bet to a Catholic 4th grade classmate. Should have taught me something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT