ADVERTISEMENT

Mixion

So when the judge gives the jury directions before they deliberate, he tells them to follow their hearts? Sorry wnas but I just don't see it that way. I always thought a jury was supposed to follow the laws regardless of their personal feelings about a defendant.
Hardly. When involved with jury selection as a potential juror, I have indicated to the presiding judge on several occasions that I would not follow the law. I have never been warned by a judge or district attorney yet. Usually, it is something like some minimum required sentence. On one jury, we were told that we could not find someone guilty without imposing a minimum two-year sentence imposed by the State of Texas for burglary. I warned the judge that I might recommend the guy for a medal. I wanted to see the situation.

I have never sat on a jury in which the judge had not allowed some illegal activity by the participating DA or defense attorney. I actually tried to get a verdict overturned in which I had concurred because I had not stopped an illegal action by th DA.

So when the judge gives the jury directions before they deliberate, he tells them to follow their hearts? Sorry wnas but I just don't see it that way. I always thought a jury was supposed to follow the laws regardless of their personal feelings about a defendant.

Once again, you thought wrong. A juror is to form an opinion based on evidence. It's the Judge, the Prosecutor and the Defending lawyer that shapes the evidence and the emotions of the jury.

I'm like Fitty. I don't really give a shit about what you think either. But it's fun schooling you.

Once again, you thought wrong. A juror is to form an opinion based on evidence. It's the Judge, the Prosecutor and the Defending lawyer that shapes the evidence and the emotions of the jury.

I'm like Fitty. I don't really give a shit about what you think either. But it's fun schooling you.
well we all know you don't follow the law wnas. Not sure where you live but I bet its not in Colorado

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyRay
I have no firm position on how this should have been handled. I tend to regard the hitting of anyone as a reason for dismissal from the team: male or female. There is a reason that we have laws about hitting people.

But, I must admit that I'm rather tired of racial slurs as well, and if I were to be on a jury, I would tend to find someone not guilty if they hit someone in response to a racial slur. If it were more than one or two punches, I might draw a line. But, it is time that people learned to show some respect for individuals and refrain from calling them by racial, sexual, or some sort of ethic slurs.

The problem with that view, was that she hit him first. She was unhappy about her gay friend being in her view denigrated and she made a fuss about it and then hit Mixon first. That is uncontroverted. So he hit back in "self defense," which is allowed in just about any law I'm aware of. THe complaints are that since he was a lot bigger than her, he was supposed to have shown more restraint. She also used the NWord, though that apparently wasn't part of the activity shown on the tape.

When you're hit, you're allowed to hit back. She hit first. And of course, because he's bigger and stronger and an athlete, she came out injured.

But then a Longhorn interloper, who apparently has some challenges writing a coherent sentence, knows all that should be done in such instances. That there are some Sooners who agree with him, is really beside the point.

Mixon screwed up. He might should have shown more restraint. But liberals like to be able to have exclusive claim to which sins are forgivable and which are not. To say that the moment on his 18th birthday should cost him a whole career, only IMO comes from people who have other issues which they are really complaining about.

A Longhorn here, likely thought Brock Edwards, who beat a kid senseless should have been allowed to return to Texas a decade ago. But the Sooner teenager who responded to the NWord and being hit first, should never be allowed to breathe again. I mean, don't you guys really think he should suffer the death penalty? In your view, he committed an unforgivable sin. I pretty strongly disagree with that perspective.

The problem with that view, was that she hit him first. She was unhappy about her gay friend being in her view denigrated and she made a fuss about it and then hit Mixon first. That is uncontroverted. So he hit back in "self defense," which is allowed in just about any law I'm aware of. THe complaints are that since he was a lot bigger than her, he was supposed to have shown more restraint. She also used the NWord, though that apparently wasn't part of the activity shown on the tape.

When you're hit, you're allowed to hit back. She hit first. And of course, because he's bigger and stronger and an athlete, she came out injured.

But then a Longhorn interloper, who apparently has some challenges writing a coherent sentence, knows all that should be done in such instances. That there are some Sooners who agree with him, is really beside the point.

Mixon screwed up. He might should have shown more restraint. But liberals like to be able to have exclusive claim to which sins are forgivable and which are not. To say that the moment on his 18th birthday should cost him a whole career, only IMO comes from people who have other issues which they are really complaining about.

A Longhorn here, likely thought Brock Edwards, who beat a kid senseless should have been allowed to return to Texas a decade ago. But the Sooner teenager who responded to the NWord and being hit first, should never be allowed to breathe again. I mean, don't you guys really think he should suffer the death penalty? In your view, he committed an unforgivable sin. I pretty strongly disagree with that perspective.
Plaino do you think some of us might have a different opinion if we were able to see the video? Its really hard to make a correct judgment without actually seeing what happened.

I like your dialogue but why inject the commentary of someone being a 'liberal'? I see this a lot in your posts.

Plaino do you think some of us might have a different opinion if we were able to see the video? Its really hard to make a correct judgment without actually seeing what happened.

Not Plaino, but imagine yourself in the year 1985, there's no video. It's no different than today in this situation with the Mixon case without video. You have to decide how you feel based on what you know are facts, and kick out everything else.

There's no audio on the video. The video looks just like reporters who watched it described. Looks bad on him because he's a big strong dude and she's not. It was a reactionary punch, not a wind up cartoon style haymaker. By all accounts, he didn't intend to cause the damage inflicted.

BDubs, we haven't always gotten along, but I do know you are a good man. Judge him if you must, but Mixon is a wide eyed good kid who got caught up in a moment. He's grown a lot over the past year. I have no tolerance for those who abuse women, but I with what I know, there is no way he falls into the abuser category. It was a split second action he regrets.

BW, I can't really say about that. But I can say that those others who also haven't seen the video, are awfully sure of themselves that the kid ought to be gone.

Isn't grace part of the equation? Mixon has done pretty much everything he was asked/told to do, to be able to return. I know you and I have a different take on the trustworthiness of Bob Stoops, but I trust Bob to get this right. Now I also mostly trust Boren and Joe C.

This I am sure of. If you and I are having a passionate conversation about anything Sooner, then an Orangeblood is entitled to read, and otherwise, stay the heck out of it.

BW, I can't really say about that. But I can say that those others who also haven't seen the video, are awfully sure of themselves that the kid ought to be gone.

Isn't grace part of the equation? Mixon has done pretty much everything he was asked/told to do, to be able to return. I know you and I have a different take on the trustworthiness of Bob Stoops, but I trust Bob to get this right. Now I also mostly trust Boren and Joe C.

This I am sure of. If you and I are having a passionate conversation about anything Sooner, then an Orangeblood is entitled to read, and otherwise, stay the heck out of it.
What I just have a hard time understanding is this just seemed so out of character for Stoops. It seems like in the past he was Mr. no nonsense and had no problem dismissing someone from the team regardless of who is was...Bomar, Jarboe, etc. Now a serious issue like this occurs and he doesn't get dismissed? Honestly, I'm not trying to second guess Stoops. I'm just saying it seems very different that in the past

No, it's my pervue to call out guys like you.

Your contrarian view on everything the majority of us feel isn't going unchallenged...ever.

Just best get used to it.

Frustrated silence isn't one of my strong points...you should know that by now.

Oh I'm sorry I forgot you don't like dissension. My advice? Deal with it

What I just have a hard time understanding is this just seemed so out of character for Stoops. It seems like in the past he was Mr. no nonsense and had no problem dismissing someone from the team regardless of who is was...Bomar, Jarboe, etc. Now a serious issue like this occurs and he doesn't get dismissed? Honestly, I'm not trying to second guess Stoops. I'm just saying it seems very different that in the past

Bomar? He was getting paid for times when he couldn't have been working, because he was at football practice. And more importantly, when confronted, he looked Bob in the face and lied to him point blank. The latter is why he was dismissed. Since every year, players get "the talk." And they know what it means to the program to be getting paid under that table. So sitting in front of Bob was his second chance and he blew it.

Jarboe? He'd already had multiple high school problems and was on a short leash and knew about it. He was told he had to walk the straight and narrow to get to be an OU player before he was ever enrolled. He showed he didn't understand what that meant. He was already on his second chance and he blew it.

I think Bob has a very good history with his decision making in this stuff. I think DGB is a good example. He came to OU. He took care of business. OU got really nothing out of the deal when he couldn't play last year and then left. But DGB took care of business and enhanced his NFL opportunities.

How about the guy who got caught selling dope at UTenn? Lynn McGruder ended up saving Oklahoma lives with his second chance. Dusty Dvoracek made the most of his second chance.

J. D. Quinn blew it.

I think you'd find, if you knew all the details, that a lot of guys got second chances. How many people have talked about how huge a player Torrence Marshall was in 2000. He missed a first game after very likely something drug related.Brandon Everage, the same. He was loved by staff. A sacrificial attitude, who threw his body around as a great safety who played for four years. Except that one game when he sat for being caught with some sort of drug use.

Ryan Broyles not only got caught in something shocking. He made such a turnaround, that he wasn't just a great player, but a great example of who you want your players to be.

I think you're sort of right. Bob has been incredibly consistent. You screw up, you get a second chance and a short leash. If you can live with that, and put the program first, you aren't just welcomed, you're celebrated. But if the short leash is too tight, and you rebel as a result, you aren't allowed to stay.

It would have been different if Mixon had just gone after somebody and beat them up. But that wasn't the case here. He reacted very poorly. A lot of 18 year olds screw up. He did. But he did all the required penance and earned his shot at returning. And there is no known history of his being a screw up. Just the opposite. If he had history, he'd be gone.

I believe you can be pretty sure that his leash will be quite short. From what I've read, I believe he'll not just be able to live there; he'll thrive there. And I believe in second chances.

Bomar? He was getting paid for times when he couldn't have been working, because he was at football practice. And more importantly, when confronted, he looked Bob in the face and lied to him point blank. The latter is why he was dismissed. Since every year, players get "the talk." And they know what it means to the program to be getting paid under that table. So sitting in front of Bob was his second chance and he blew it.

Jarboe? He'd already had multiple high school problems and was on a short leash and knew about it. He was told he had to walk the straight and narrow to get to be an OU player before he was ever enrolled. He showed he didn't understand what that meant. He was already on his second chance and he blew it.

I think Bob has a very good history with his decision making in this stuff. I think DGB is a good example. He came to OU. He took care of business. OU got really nothing out of the deal when he couldn't play last year and then left. But DGB took care of business and enhanced his NFL opportunities.

How about the guy who got caught selling dope at UTenn? Lynn McGruder ended up saving Oklahoma lives with his second chance. Dusty Dvoracek made the most of his second chance.

J. D. Quinn blew it.

I think you'd find, if you knew all the details, that a lot of guys got second chances. How many people have talked about how huge a player Torrence Marshall was in 2000. He missed a first game after very likely something drug related.Brandon Everage, the same. He was loved by staff. A sacrificial attitude, who threw his body around as a great safety who played for four years. Except that one game when he sat for being caught with some sort of drug use.

Ryan Broyles not only got caught in something shocking. He made such a turnaround, that he wasn't just a great player, but a great example of who you want your players to be.

I think you're sort of right. Bob has been incredibly consistent. You screw up, you get a second chance and a short leash. If you can live with that, and put the program first, you aren't just welcomed, you're celebrated. But if the short leash is too tight, and you rebel as a result, you aren't allowed to stay.

It would have been different if Mixon had just gone after somebody and beat them up. But that wasn't the case here. He reacted very poorly. A lot of 18 year olds screw up. He did. But he did all the required penance and earned his shot at returning. And there is no known history of his being a screw up. Just the opposite. If he had history, he'd be gone.

I believe you can be pretty sure that his leash will be quite short. From what I've read, I believe he'll not just be able to live there; he'll thrive there. And I believe in second chances.
Plaino only time will tell if Bob made the right choice in this situation. If Mixon screws up again it is going to look very bad for OU. Hopefully we won't have to cross that bridge

Glad you're so concerned...really.

I might add to Stoops' list of redemption, Dusty Dvoracek.

Beat a bud up almost to comatose, got pro help.
Came back and tore it up in his (second) senior year.

Bob is pretty astute and intuitive about people.
I'm sure he won't personally let you down BW.
Sorry fitty..........plaino already mentioned Dusty. Now good night fitty. Try not to stay up all night on here

This is a liberal vs conservative issue ?
No it's not.
We are going to see a continuation of reckless and/or criminal behavior until coaches, the NCAA and the NFL incorporate firm measures to stop off-season and off-the-field thuggery by athletes that are too protected and too entitled. I doubt if it will happen because too much money and the win-at-all-cost doctrine will prevent it.
Mixon received a year's suspension and stayed in school....the woman he hit received serious injuries and likely has to be very careful if she ever steps foot in Oklahoma....and the OU football program, Bob Stoops and the University of Oklahoma gets a black eye, whether we think it's fair or not.
I believe that firm policies on conduct and reasonable curfews would get some traction in the minds of players....especially if they knew there would be no wiggle room for avoiding punishment and for being required to act like an adult.
BTW, I'm not a liberal. I'm just tired of the too frequent crap that players get into and the bullshit excuses that come forth in their defense.....and it casts a shadow over my enjoyment of the game.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
Anyone who uses the FSU coach as an example of how a coach should act in dealing with football players is, IMO, an idiot. The only reason Jimbo Fisher cracked down on the player who hit that woman is an attempt to show that FSU is not out of control and they will not tolerate acts of this kind. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING that Jimbo Fisher and his administration have done in the past several years regarding the atrocious criminal acts carried out by his players. Winning is THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS TO HIM.

Reactions: Medic007
This is a liberal vs conservative issue ?
No it's not.
We are going to see a continuation of reckless and/or criminal behavior until coaches, the NCAA and the NFL incorporate firm measures to stop off-season and off-the-field thuggery by athletes that are too protected and too entitled. I doubt if it will happen because too much money and the win-at-all-cost doctrine will prevent it.
Mixon received a year's suspension and stayed in school....the woman he hit received serious injuries and likely has to be very careful if she ever steps foot in Oklahoma....and the OU football program, Bob Stoops and the University of Oklahoma gets a black eye, whether we think it's fair or not.
I believe that firm policies on conduct and reasonable curfews would get some traction in the minds of players....especially if they knew there would be no wiggle room for avoiding punishment and for being required to act like an adult.
BTW, I'm not a liberal. I'm just tired of the too frequent crap that players get into and the bullshit excuses that come forth in their defense.....and it casts a shadow over my enjoyment of the game.

There are a handful of groups that will view this as a black eye. Racists would be one. Not making as accusation, just an observation. Liberals, who can't find anything bad in a black vs white about an African American, unless there is an ACCUSATION of a guy hitting a lady. I said he messed up and he did. But she did hit him first.

There is a spin involved in this stuff. I want to know why it would be that a football player would hit any person 50 pounds smaller or more than that, wouldn't be in serious trouble. But somehow, these days, it seems reserved for women having special consideration in the matters. Especially feminists seem to want to have it both ways. That is incongruous with anything having to do with logic.

Mixon's issue isn't specifically liberal vs conservative. But liberals seem to want to have a special class of sin that is unforgivable. What is ironic in this case, is that both involved committed "unforgivable sins." She used the N word, which in any other case would be given no grace. IF she were a man, most people on this site would say, "he got what he deserved." But only because she is a woman, she gets a pass on that.

Joe shouldn't have done what he did. But to say he should never be allowed back, flies in the face of the typical mantra on this board, and most boards elsewhere, which points out that especially in this case, Mixon was and is still a teenager. He deserved punishment. He now deserves a short leash and he is getting one.

But he doesn't deserve to be without opportunity to win back the opportunity to play.

There are a handful of groups that will view this as a black eye. Racists would be one. Not making as accusation, just an observation. Liberals, who can't find anything bad in a black vs white about an African American, unless there is an ACCUSATION of a guy hitting a lady. I said he messed up and he did. But she did hit him first.

There is a spin involved in this stuff. I want to know why it would be that a football player would hit any person 50 pounds smaller or more than that, wouldn't be in serious trouble. But somehow, these days, it seems reserved for women having special consideration in the matters. Especially feminists seem to want to have it both ways. That is incongruous with anything having to do with logic.

Mixon's issue isn't specifically liberal vs conservative. But liberals seem to want to have a special class of sin that is unforgivable. What is ironic in this case, is that both involved committed "unforgivable sins." She used the N word, which in any other case would be given no grace. IF she were a man, most people on this site would say, "he got what he deserved." But only because she is a woman, she gets a pass on that.

Joe shouldn't have done what he did. But to say he should never be allowed back, flies in the face of the typical mantra on this board, and most boards elsewhere, which points out that especially in this case, Mixon was and is still a teenager. He deserved punishment. He now deserves a short leash and he is getting one.

But he doesn't deserve to be without opportunity to win back the opportunity to play.
Plaino please don't use the "she hit him first" excuse. That does not in any way excuse Mixon, or any man, from hitting a woman. He screwed up. He was dead wrong. He has paid a price for that mistake and time will tell if the price was sufficient. Hopefully in another year this will be a non issue.

This is NOT about Liberals & Conservatives in any shape and/or fashion. It's about kids that screwed up. Your whole view of the world is pretty warped if you think this is about Liberal vs Conservative. And if you truly don't think this why, then why do you continually post on this subject in this thread?

The world is changing drastically, it's important that you keep your head about. Step back from the news cycles and let live a bit.

Fitty I would love to hear u contribute instead of bashing bw...u don't like him we get that. If u think this ordeal is only an issue with him u are sadly mistaken. IMO he really didn't receive a punishment and stoops better hope the decision to keep him doesn't come back to bite him in the butt

Fitty I would love to hear u contribute instead of bashing bw...u don't like him we get that. If u think this ordeal is only an issue with him u are sadly mistaken. IMO he really didn't receive a punishment and stoops better hope the decision to keep him doesn't come back to bite him in the butt

What do you think happen to him if you think he wasn't punished? I didn't see him on the field last year or even suited up.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
I mean as far as playing time. I realize he didn't the reps and practice time everyone did but still it wasn't much of a punishment. I hope mixon gets his crap together and pulls a broyles and becomes a model citizen....then again mixons law breaking act was much more serious

Dang Yankee, you and BW must be brutal on your respective kids.

Let BW defend himself, such as that is.

You have both made your feelings known.
You both wanted Mixon booted off the team forever.

We regular folk can only aspire to be as flawless as you and your buddy fancy yourselves to be.

By all means show me where I stated I said he should be gone forever...... I didn't. Whatever decision Stoops, Boren, etc. made is what we must accept and deal with as fans, doesn't mean we have to 100% support it.

THEN DON'T SUPPORT IT GOD DAM IT!

Just spare us the contined castigation of Stoops, Boren and the program in general for something that was never your call to make!

Look, moron, when it comes to this program or some whiny insignificant fan, I will ALWAYS take the side of the program...every time.

Is there anything remotely unclear about what I just said?

You keep this up and I will do some reporting on your asses!
You don't believe me?
Just try me!

This is NOT about Liberals & Conservatives in any shape and/or fashion. It's about kids that screwed up. Your whole view of the world is pretty warped if you think this is about Liberal vs Conservative. And if you truly don't think this why, then why do you continually post on this subject in this thread?

The world is changing drastically, it's important that you keep your head about. Step back from the news cycles and let live a bit.

And those drastic changes are not improvements. Unless you are someone on the far left. Like you for example.

Plaino please don't use the "she hit him first" excuse. That does not in any way excuse Mixon, or any man, from hitting a woman. He screwed up. He was dead wrong. He has paid a price for that mistake and time will tell if the price was sufficient. Hopefully in another year this will be a non issue.

I didn't excuse him. In nearly every post on the subject, I have said exactly that. But those in this thread and other places, who want to make him pay for this event forever seem to have a selectivity in what they want never to be forgiven. He didn't set out that night to do anything wrong. HE WAS CELEBRATING HIS BIRTHDAY.

Most of us know not to poke a bear. Or some in shape dude who outweighs us by 100 pounds. This girl picked a fight. If that isn't part of the discussion, then it promotes a perversity. Given the current state of affairs, that wouldn't be surprising.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT